Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Sound over DisplayPort question

idata
Employee

Hi all.

I have HP Compaq 6000 Pro MC desktop. As far as I understand it has Intel Q43/45 chipset and therefore integrated video. I bought a new monitor with DisplayPort and audio support throug DisplayPort (ViewSonic VG2239m-LED). So now I have a question - can I play sound over DisplayPort? I did not manage to play it. So I am a bit confused and I can not understand what is wrong. The problem is in my integrated video? It does not support audio over DislayPort?

I did not find any information in chipset overview. Only information about DisplayPort and DVI support. Does i mean it supports only video but not audio? The only solution is to change my video card, right?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

If the BIOS date didn't update, it makes me think that it didn't successfully flash. The version number itself hasn't changed with any of their recent BIOS updates either. You might need to contact HP and get their folks to verify that both the BIOS update is being applied correctly, and that the file you're flashing with is not bugged in some manner. If we can't confirm that the BIOS has been updated properly, we won't be able to tell if the latest version fixes your DisplayPort issue..

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I'll try to contact with HP support anyway.

I checked my BIOS package now - all ROM-files are dated 06/23/2011:

It's strange that this package is published on HP's site as "7 Oct 2011". Was there such a big gap between BIOS release and publish date? Or there is a mistake somewhere? I'll ask HP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, something strange is happening.

I contacted HP support as my desktop still has warranty. But they could not help me. The only thing I could get from them is that if I install all drivers I should have everything working. However my reply about separate installing of Intel Display Audio driver (not just common Intel Display driver that installs and really works fine) seemed to be news for HP support.

Eventually HP support told me that my 6000 desktop can play sound over DisplayPort (this is good news!) and recommended me to contact ViewSonic to ask them about this problem. To ask whether I should install some drivers for my monitor or somethinng else. However I checked ViewSonic site and a CD that was shipped with the monitor - there were no drivers at all. The only "driver" that exists contains only INF-file and ICC-file. I suppose ViewSonic will say me to contact HP's support It seems to be a merry-go-round between HP and ViewSonic and probably even Intel.

Now I start thinking that my monitor can be buggy. Probably it does not work?

By the way - should Windows find some new devices if a DP-device is connected? Should it find some audio-devices if I connect my monitor throug DP-port? However I think I should install Display Audio drievr frist but I can not do that. It does not work. It reports "Device can not be started".

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

We can't rule out the possibility that there is something wrong with the monitor until there is a second monitor tested out with it.

One thing we can check now, is one of our recently released graphics drivers (2869). http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22167&lang=eng Download Center

Let me know if this does anything for you.

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This driver did not help me. However I have not found ibxHDMI folder. I saw this folder in previous version, and there Intel Display Audio driver was. I tried to install driver from that folder before. There is a folder HDMI also but I think it is not what I need.

By the way information in HP's Installation_readme.txt (and probably in some Intel's readme files, I don't remember exactly) is rather strange. There is a chapter about installing Display Audio driver but information from that chapter does not reflect real driver package's content.

Here it is:

* For Intel(R) Display Audio Driver:

1. Click Start, right-click "Computer", then "Properties", and then Device

Manager.

2. Click Continue when asked for permission to continue.

3. Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers".

4. Right-click the "High Definition Audio" controller if installing from

scratch or "Intel(R) Display Audio" controller if updating driver and

click "Update Driver Software".

5. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

6. Select the following option: "Let me pick from a list of device drivers

on my computer".

7. Click on the "Have Disk..." button and then the "Browse" button

8. Click Browse... and navigate to the folder where you placed the

extracted driver files.

9. Locate and highlight the "IntcDAud.inf" file and click the Open button.

10. Select "Intel HD Audio HDMI Audio Function Driver" and click "next".

11. The operating system will install the driver. Click the Finish button

when done.

12. Click the Yes button to reboot. The driver should now be loaded.

But:

1. I have not file "IntcDAud.inf" neither in the root directory nor in the Graphics subdirectory
  2. File "IntcDAud.inf" is in ibxHDMI subfolder
  3. File "IntcDAud.inf" contains "Intel Display Audio driver" but not "Intel HD Audio HDMI Audio Function Driver", that driver is in HDMI subfolder (not ibxHDMI)
0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

I'm thinking that your OEM configured your system to only provide audio if you are using the RealTek audio driver, and not an Intel driver. I would suggest then that you redownload/install the latest RealTek audio driver. If it still doesn't work, you're going to need to contact HP again and see if they can provide better support than they already have, since you will have updated drivers and still non-functioning audio.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you mean I can not use DP for audio? Hp's support surely told me that my HP 6000 can play audio through DP.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Oh you can definitely still do audio through DP when it works, but I'm thinking that the RealTek soundcard overrides Intel's display audio - which might mean you need to use the RealTek driver to get audio over DP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Probably, but I do not imagine how can I do it. On HP's forum a man wrote:

I ran into a similar issue about a year ago with Realtek and Nvidia. I ended up removing the NVIDIA audio drivers and let Realtek to the audio routing. Now the new NVIDIA drivers get the job done. The Realtek control panel now only shows a Digital tab for SPDIF and no speakers, headset or mic. Device Manger shows both Realtek and NVIDIA as working.

But I can not do the same. I.e. I can not remove Intel audio driver as I can not install it

0 Kudos