Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20664 Discussions

Starfield Issues with Arc GPU's

Rhino614
Beginner

I have an Intel A770 (Acer Predator BiFrost). Even with the latest driver update the game now runs but runs terribly. Even at 2K my frame rate fluctuates from 20fps-40fps with everything on low and vsync off. Is this a Bethesda issue or will future driver updates significantly improve how this game runs? Will Starfield ever support Xess? I am trying to decide if I need to send this game back to Steam for a refund or not. I will be asking Bethesda these same questions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

From everything that I read, the game was optimized for AMD GFX. This to the detriment of Nvidia and (especially) Intel GFX. AMD paid for this, a real coup. So, what are they going to say? Oops, sorry, it's our fault? No, they will say whatever to justify themselves: Our game is great; it's their graphics that's not good enough. Baloney.

As for Intel, they have made three driver releases trying to recover the performance - and likely will make more (everything take time, however).

Just saying, don't know if I am right or wrong, but this is the way it reads to me. 

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Blueintheface
Beginner

I have the Predator BItfrost as well, and even with the newest update (SEPT 3) I am still unable to really play. I have it at low settings with DR turned off, as recommended. It's most frustrating due to the silence by Intel; the last update has the verbiage that they believe driver issues are solved, and the game is playable. It still crashes every few minutes, especially in and around the main city. 

0 Kudos
Rhino614
Beginner
I reached out to Bethesda and they referred me to the minimum system requirements page that doesn't even list Intel gpus. It's like they are completely ignoring consumers with Intel gpu's.
0 Kudos
Unkrauotter
Beginner

They do and they didnt care. You can buy an AMD GPU if you wanna play the game they told me. So they dont give a f... about intel users and intel gpus

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rhino614,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We will help you regarding the performance issues when playing Starfield. We know that it may be frustrating to face performance issues when playing a game.

Unfortunately, the Starfield game is not part of the list of Intel XeSS-supported games. The has been growing in the past month. We are working with game developers to add more AAA games to the list.

We want to let you know that we are currently working on different issues with the Starfield game. We published a new driver yesterday, 31.0.101.4676, which includes some fixes for the game, but some other issues require more effort on our end. Rest assured that we are working on the game. We want to look into your problem, but we would like to confirm if you can try the new driver version and let us know if the reported issue improves. Part of the fixes included in the new driver improved stability in different areas of the game.

In case the issue remains, we would like to request further details about your system to further review the problem. Provide us with the following reports:

• Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU)
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."
  • Intel® Graphics Command Center:
    • Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rhino614
Beginner

Thank you for the response Jean. I confirmed I am running the latest driver. I have not had the game crash with that driver but the performance is so subpar I only played the game for about an hour. I am only getting 20-40 fps with all settings on low. I am currently at work, so I will provide you with the requested reports later today.

0 Kudos
Rhino614
Beginner

Interestingly enough I wasn't running the latest driver and my Intel software did not alert me that there was an update. Attached is the SSU an command center report. 

0 Kudos
Rhino614
Beginner

I installed the latest driver. The driver seems to have improved stability but the fps is still an issue. With everything off and graphics set to low I can't maintain anything over 50 fps at 1080p which is horrible for a card this powerful. Bethesda and Intel still have a lot of optimization to do.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rhino614,

We understand that the performance issue remains even after installing the latest graphics driver. We will continue to further investigate this problem internally, and we will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Rhino614
Beginner
This post can be closed. I resolved my issue by sending the game back to steam for a refund and got Baldurs Gate 3 instead.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

From everything that I read, the game was optimized for AMD GFX. This to the detriment of Nvidia and (especially) Intel GFX. AMD paid for this, a real coup. So, what are they going to say? Oops, sorry, it's our fault? No, they will say whatever to justify themselves: Our game is great; it's their graphics that's not good enough. Baloney.

As for Intel, they have made three driver releases trying to recover the performance - and likely will make more (everything take time, however).

Just saying, don't know if I am right or wrong, but this is the way it reads to me. 

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rhino614,

We have received your report, and we are sorry to hear that you refunded the game. As you have requested, we will now proceed to close the thread. If you require further troubleshooting, we will be more than pleased to help you, but you need to open a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos