Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

System nuked by Intel® Graphics Driver update (Win 10 R1533)

LenLo
Beginner

System nuked by Intel graphics driver update.  had to fully restore.  System would not boot up.  Automatic repair tried to undo the update and could not.  Thank goodness I had just upgraded my HDD by cloning and had previous HDD from last week sitting on my desk.  This is horrible.

I'm guessing the issue is due to me not using the on-board Intel video but instead using NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 - Which came with the PC from DELL.  Still, this should be anticipated in the driver install.

The real insult was after I fully restored, within 10min I got a pop-up to update the video driver again.  Not a mistake I will be repeating again.

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]

Description:
This download installs the Intel® Graphics Driver for Baytrail and 3rd generation.
Version: x.x.x.5129
Release date:  3/25/2020
Size: 119.78 MB

Machine Specs:

Dell Inc. OptiPlex 9010

BIOS Version A30 
Date 6/28/2018
MOTHERBOARD Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0M9KCM
Version A02
OPERATING SYSTEM Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Version (Build) 1909 (10.0.18363)

Devices and Drivers

PROCESSOR  Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
GRAPHICS     Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
                    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
AUDIO

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Intel® Display Audio

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

NETWORKING AND I/O

Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

MEMORY

32 GB

STORAGE

CT500MX500SSD1

ST950042 4AS USB Device

ST4000DM000-1F2168

WDC WDBNCE5000PNC

ST4000DM000-1F2168

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Where did you get your drivers from? Because the laptop uses hybrid graphics (i.e. two active graphics engines), you should only use driver updates that come from or are approved by your laptop vendor. This includes both the updates from Intel as well as the updates from NVIDIA and AMD.

In the Intel graphics drivers for 6th gen and later processors, support was added recently for installing driver updates from Intel without wiping out the customizations that the vendors have added for the control of the hybrid graphics solution. I am not aware of any similar effort on the part of NVIDIA or AMD, however, so do not know if they also have this capability. Suffice it to say, if they don't, installing their latest releases could wipe out the hybrid solution and nothing then works properly.

Bottom line, you should only download updates that have been validated by your laptop vendor and approved for use on their laptops. Updates that come through Windows Update are supposedly approved by your laptop vendor, so talk to them if they are wiping out your graphics support.

...S

0 Kudos