Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

The Intel® Power Gadget for Mac doesn't work

SStef8
Beginner

When using the Intel Power Gadget for Mac, it is not logging data to a file. (in other words its not creating a log file, no matter where i set the destination) There is no obviously indication of when the file would be created either? when the app closes but it doesn't.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

Logging is not enabled by default, please ensure you are enabling it by going to "Logging" in the top menu bar, and selecting "Log to File" to toggle logging on / off. You will see a message indicating logging has started and stopped.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Lovefire,

Thank you for posting your inquiry through our communities.

Let us investigate further into this, we will reach you back as soon as we have more information.

I hope to this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lovefire,

Thank you for your patience.

I have sent you a private message, please take a look at your inbox.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
SStef8
Beginner

Hello Diego,

Since getting the Logging to work again, I have run into another issue with the "CSV File" this is created when logging. On MacOS I can QuickView it via Preview by selecting the file and pressing the space bar when it loads you see its in tables. great. but when its opened by any default app in macOS the tables is gone and if placed into a app the supports tables it doesn't place the information correctly. which leads me to believe there might be an issue when its being created. no sure. thought id ask. I really just want to be able to open it and have there be a table with all the information in the correct spots.

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

Can you provide a screen shot showing the issue you're describing?

0 Kudos
SStef8
Beginner

Of course:

There are 3 attachments:

one is how it looks when using QuickView via Preview App (looks normal with a table)

the other two are textEdit (default app) and Numbers (which I downloaded to see if that made a difference it did not since numbers put 3 columns in one)

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

I have reproduced this issue in Numbers. This is an issue with how Numbers parses CSV files by default. For now you can work around this by adjusting the import settings to use a comma delimiter. I will make an adjustment to the log format in the next update which will resolve this issue in Numbers.

0 Kudos
SStef8
Beginner

I wanted to thank you for resolving those previous issues.

I have a request and a question if you don't mind.

1. The request would be is there anyway you would be willing to add an option setting in the preferences so a user can switch between C° and F°???

2. My question is how does Intel Power Gadget determine the CPU temperature? I am trying to match it with my other app "iStat Menus 6" but I can't find anything that is as close to whatever "Sensor" you are using to collect that data?

Thanks Much

Stefan

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

Power Gadget reads temperature data from the "Package Digital Readout" field in the IA32_PACKAGE_THERM_STATUS register in the CPU.

0 Kudos
SStef8
Beginner

so the last bit of information regarding where the power gadget gets its temperature read outs from wasn't very helpful. I am trying to have the App for Mac iStat Menus 6 match the same temp readouts as power gadget, and when I relayed you information to him he replied quote:

"I'm not sure how useful that reply from Intel is. It doesn't lead me to any specific info about the sensor, or what it's attached to. It sounds like they told you where *all* the sensor data is coming from, and not where that specific sensor is?"

so the it seems what needs to be know in order tone helpful to achieve this is

1. specific info about the sensor power gadget uses?

2. what is the sensor attached to that power gadget uses?

3. where is the specific sensor that power gadget uses?

I'm sure this will lead to a good information that can help tune some accuracy in match the temps, since power gadget is more accurate then my other app.

I appreciate all your help so far Boop, thank you. and for any reason that this info is sensitive for any reason you can send it to him directly if need be. (his name is Mark Edward creator of iStats Menus 6, and can be reached at mailto:help@bjango.zendesk.com help@bjango.zendesk.com, using the subject line "[Bjango] Re: iStat Menus - Sensor Meanings". Otherwise if you reply to this message then you can ignore this.

thank again.

Stefan.

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

As I said previously, the temperature values come from the digital readout field in the IA32_PACKAGE_THERM_STATUS register, which is publicly documented and any tool is free to use (although it must be read in kernel space). This value does not come from a single sensor, it comes from a combination of various sensors in different locations on the package.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That is correct. At a minimum, there is one DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) per Core (located at that Core's major hotspot). I believe there may also be DTS in the Uncore. Processor Package temperature readings are derived from the current readings from all of the available DTS. The algorithm for this derivation is not made public. Suffice it to say, Processor Package temperature readings will not necessarily match the readings from any one particular Core's DTS.

BTW, these same Processor Package Temperature readings are also being made available to external fan speed control devices (like Super I/O ICs) via the PECI bus. The documentation for the PECI bus talks about a smoothing circuit that is being applied to these readings. I don't know if this circuit is also being applied to the readings that appear via the MSR; if it isn't, there could be times when MSR readings do not agree with external PECI readings either.

...S

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

Logging is not enabled by default, please ensure you are enabling it by going to "Logging" in the top menu bar, and selecting "Log to File" to toggle logging on / off. You will see a message indicating logging has started and stopped.

0 Kudos
SStef8
Beginner

It wasnt working prior to the recent update 3.4.5, when I was using 3.4.3. I am also very aware its not enabled by default and requires user interaction to enable. My point was it was misleading on how to create the log in that you have to actually turn off logging by clicking it again or pressing CMD+L again before a log is created, its not intuitive; hence my suggestion to help others with instructions.

0 Kudos