Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20909 Discussions

Tomb Raider (2013) water glitched (most likely Dx11 related)

idata
Employee

I just got this game to play on my i5-3570k Desktop PC, which uses a Intel HD 4000 VGA. The game runs at high settings at stable 30 fps or more so it's perfectly playable so far. The only problem that I found was that the water is glitched. It has a very weird flickering black blocks on it and I dont know how to fix it. I have latest Intel Graphics drivers installed but the problem is still there (I was hoping that April update would fix this ). Here's a screen with the problem:

Does anyone know a way to fix this? Or why does it happen? Like I said in the title, the game uses DirectX 11 and Intel HD 4000 should be 100% compatible with it unless I'm wrong. I run the game on Windows 7 64-bit Pro.

Thanks for reading and for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MEA1
New Contributor II

PC Patch Released - 1.01.748.0 - May 22th 2013

New fixes in 748.0:

- Fixed problem with Mountaineer, Sure-Shot, and

Demolition outfits not properly unlocking when no other DLC is installed.

- Fixed TressFX Hair not being able to be turned on, on some machines, when using

AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA Surround.

- Significant performance improvements in

CPU limited areas, for example in Shanty Town. (This is the same fix we have

previously exposed to users on forums with the MulticoreFlushMode registry

key).

- Fixed water polygons randomly disappearing on Intel graphics

hardware.

- Fix problem with English VO setting when playing in Japanese not

properly being remembered after a restart.

- Minor UI improvements.

Finally the problem is fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MEA1
New Contributor II

Same exact problem here with Intel HD 3000

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Thank you for your feedback on this matter

Let me forward this to our research team so they may replicate this and provide a fix on this

DArce
Valued Contributor III

Could you please confirm if the game has ever functioned properly and using what driver version? What is the driver

version that is currently installed (please provide the full version number)

Have you tried playing the game in Window mode or with lower graphics settings?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The driver version that I've tested the game with is 9.18.10.3071. I previously had an older version of the driver, but it was still the same.

The game is actually able to run in DirectX 9 and 11 mode. For playing in DirectX 9 you need to be running on Windows XP, in which case I can confirm that this bug does not happen. However, if you play on Windows 7 or Vista, DirectX 11 mode activates and you get this visual bug.

I did try playing windowed mode, as well as deactivated several different settings, with no luck.

Thanks for your patience and help Diego.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

When you played this on Microsoft* Windows* XP, were you using the same hardware you are using by now? Do you have the driver version that was working in XP while using the same Intel® HD Graphics 4000 controller?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There's actually a way to enable DirectX 9 mode in Windows 7 (which is the one I tested with the driver version mentioned above, sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly) by modifying a registry key. I tried this with the same hardware and same driver version 9.18.10.3071.

0 Kudos
MEA1
New Contributor II

I can confirm the bug is gone by forcing the game to work in DirectX 9 mode by modifying http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(2013)# Force_DirectX_9_renderer_on_DirectX_11_systems registry on windows 7 x64 but it's strange because i have (Intel HD Graphics 3000) and it doesn't support DirectX 11.

CPU : Intel Core i5-2430M @ 2.40GHz

IGPU : Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Driver v9.17.10.3062)

Memory : 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

Game Version : 1.01.743.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Medo3000 DirectX 10 is very similar to 11, so the game internally must be falling back to DX10 (which, in fact, it must be same routine my Intel HD 4000 uses). That would explain why it fails on both hardware.

So the glitch must be somewhere in the Intel's driver DirectX 10 implemented routines.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Thank you for the feedback on this matter.

Let me check on this and get back to you.

0 Kudos
MEA1
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
MEA1
New Contributor II

PC Patch Released - 1.01.748.0 - May 22th 2013

New fixes in 748.0:

- Fixed problem with Mountaineer, Sure-Shot, and

Demolition outfits not properly unlocking when no other DLC is installed.

- Fixed TressFX Hair not being able to be turned on, on some machines, when using

AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA Surround.

- Significant performance improvements in

CPU limited areas, for example in Shanty Town. (This is the same fix we have

previously exposed to users on forums with the MulticoreFlushMode registry

key).

- Fixed water polygons randomly disappearing on Intel graphics

hardware.

- Fix problem with English VO setting when playing in Japanese not

properly being remembered after a restart.

- Minor UI improvements.

Finally the problem is fixed.

0 Kudos