Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

Triple display gaming with Intel HD Graphics 4600

KWoon
Beginner

Background Info:

On a laptop with the following:

Intel HD Graphics 4600 (newest driver, 10.18.10.3345)

NVIDIA GTX 780M

Display Resolution: 5900x1080 (with bezel correction)

Outputs: HDMI, DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort

As the display ports are not connected to my dedicated graphics card directly, I am unable to use the NVIDIA Surround for triple display gaming. However, Intel's collage mode in the graphics options work just as well for most games. I am having problems running a few games in triple display.

Games like Need For Speed Most Wanted (2012), Strike Suit Zero wont work as intended at all.

Need For Speed Most Wanted (2012) does not allow me to set higher than 1920x1080 in game. When modifying the config files manually, I was able to get it to output 5900x1080. However, in game, the resolution 5900x1080 is cloned onto the three monitors. (i.e. 3 of the same image, not 1 consistent ultra widescreen gaming experience)

Games like Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 cause less problems, but still are not perfect. The in game settings doesnt allow me to select resolution above 1920x1080. I have to resort to editing config files outside of the game myself to get it to work across triple display. However, they both run as intended after the manual fix.

The other games I have tried works flawlessly, just like how it is meant when played on a NVIDIA Surround or AMD Eyefinity. Examples of games in this category are Borderlands 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Crysis 3, Dirt 3, Metro Last Light.

Any way that I can solve this issue? Is it something that can only be solved by the individual game developers?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I believe you are customizing your screen resolution because the Intel graphics controller supports up to

4096 x 2304, 3840x2160 @ 24Hz / 24bpp.

If your game does not allow going more than 1920x108 is because the game was developed to work at that range. This is something you need to check with your game developer, probably new patches or workarounds.

Allan.

0 Kudos
KWoon
Beginner

What do you mean by customizing my screen resolution? The 5900x1080 (5760x1080 without bezel correction) resolution is one of the given resolution in the resolution drop down box of the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

The games actually do allow resolution at that high range. I have a friend running the same game at that resolution with no problems at all, although he is using NVIDIA surround for his triple display. Why won't the game detect the resolution on my computer but it does on my friend's computer?

0 Kudos
KWoon
Beginner

Is it possible that those few games is not detecting the "custom" resolution by the Intel control panel? Shouldn't resolutions be this universal thing that all programs have access to? Could it be that those few games are looking for the list of resolutions in the NVIDIA drivers only?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Screen resolutions can be locked by computer manufacturer depending on their system design. You may need to update computer BIOS as it may interact with the graphics Video BIOS

Allan.

0 Kudos