Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

UHD 620 freezing and lagging - Driver bug

AArya9
Novice

I have an XPS 13 9370 with a 4k display that has a i7 8550u and uhd 620.

I am getting awful graphical performance all around windows, browsing, and any application.

I have tested using intel display driver from Dell (repackaged DCH driver) and the latest DCH driver from intel. Both have this issue. IMG_1999 shows an example of this.

I saw a post with a solution for an older laptop with the same problem which was to install the intel 15.45 legacy driver. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29805/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

This pretty much solved the performance issue however it introduced a new issue. IMG_2003 shows this

playing a video on this driver in any application would either cause it to crash or crash then recover before playing the video (see attached video) IMG_2006 shows this.

Check videos for examples

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
AArya9
Novice

Hello @RonaldM_Intel ,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that is the lag I was talking about

Here is the video taken when I was on the 15.45 driver.

https://youtu.be/TLHsfYZKEp4

Just for clarification purposes, does your thinkpad have DIMM memory or is it single channel aswell.

I greatly appreciate the effort in testing that you are making.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

That's what I thought! Both videos you shared make this issue easier to understand.

Interestingly enough, my laptop is on Single Channel configuration (1x16GB). I'm attaching the SSU.txt report I just pulled, perhaps we can start comparing to find out why mine behaves differently i.e. no lag is observed.

Question: have you checked this with Dell? I don't have with me a Dell system to test, more so I know you can't test with an external display either, but perhaps they can try to reproduce the issue using the same laptop model you have. Obviously you might be thinking "why Dell if I revert to 15.45 the issue goes away?" well in some cases there are issues triggered with an specific combination of OS + driver + vBIOS or even potentially 3rd party applications that might be running (I agree is a long shot, but I'm still baffled why the lag doesn't appear on other systems with same drivers)

Regards,

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

@RonaldM_Intel 

I spent countless hours troubleshooting with Dell technical support which was supposed to be the "Premium" support that I paid for however they outsourced all of the employees and just had them read off scripts.  I do not think it is the OS or a third party program as this issue consists of multiple OS installs and even a motherboard replacement.

I do not really know where to go from here but a piece of advice I can give you is to stick to Lenovo and stay away from dell. 

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

@RonaldM_Intel 

I was looking at your system report and something that stood out to me is that your memory is running in SODIMM which is basically a small-form-factor version dual channel memory. 

The memory is my system is a row of chips which is a single channel. Would you be able to test this bug on a machine with the same memory configuration as mine on the DCH driver?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again,

I do not have access to another system with that characteristic, and with this pandemic situation I think I won't be able to for quite some time. 

But now that we have zoomed in on a specific configuration detail, perhaps you can check again with Dell? Perhaps they can accommodate to test with a system that uses SODIMM, otherwise I'll leave it open for other community users that may be following this thread 🙂 we could use your feedback here!

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
JieChen
Employee

I tried to reproduce the lag on my Dell XPS(UHD620) with an external 4K monitor. I am not exactly sure about what the lag exactly is. Please help check https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rbMoj8jtuvAy0QXdN01WeFMiktM324Lh/view?usp=sharing , as well as the SSU log for the "Single Channel" RAM.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @JieChen 

Thanks for providing the video recording of your test.

I saw it and I can't see any lag either.

Regards,

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

@JieChen @RonaldM_Intel 

Thanks for the video. I see that you have no lag on scrolling which is weird. I literally just got a replacement from dell which is a xps 13 7390 instead of 9370. it has 16gb of ram and an i7. it has the exact same issue as the old one. Maybe it is related to the i7 version or I got two lemons in a row (unlikely).

I've attached the video that I recorded of the new replacement I got.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lIYKmAUGByvUJRecS4Geq5T8Bp9uWoJJ/view?usp=sharing

The video was too large to attach so I made a google drive link.

I haven't tested on an external display but both of the models I have currently have a 4k display on the laptop.

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Also here is a thread on the chromium forum about the same issue.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1009223#c25

0 Kudos