Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

UHD 630 causing black screen when enabled

BMine1
Beginner

I have been having issues with my sager np8157.

Whenever I install or enable the intel UHD 630, my computer gets a black screen. However, I can tell the computer is still running. I can disable the intel gpu with safemode, and then boot normally, but the computer will only use the MS basic display adapter, even though the 1070 still shows up in device manager. I also can not open the nvidia control panel because it says the display is not connected to an nvidia graphics card.

If I boot with the intel gpu enabled, I will get a black screen.

The gtx 1070 consistently shows 0% utilization, and games are completely unplayable.

I have tried updating both intel and nvidia graphics drivers but nothing has helped the issue.

Here are some links to similar issues:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Intel-HD-Graphics-360-causes-black-screen-and-system-failure/td-p/6715015

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=322887.0

If anyone has some advice that would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact the manufacturer of your laptop for assistance. They are responsible for your support and warranty.

Also, use only the drivers for BOTH intel and nvidia graphics provided by your manufacturer.

And, use the latest bios provided by the manufacturer.

Lastly, make certain you are on Windows 10, version 1903.

Doc

0 Kudos
BMine1
Beginner

I would update drivers from Sager's website, but the newest drivers they have are from Feb 2017, and there are no bios drivers provided there.

Also, I don't think it's a bad idea to contact Sager, but it seems this issue isn't just limited to my computer at all. I have seen multiple people who have had black screen issues with installing/having Intel graphics enabled.

0 Kudos
TBarb7
Novice

Yeah, i'm dealing with the same issue, whenever i install intel drivers my screens turn black, the only way is uninstall intel driver in safe mode. My computer is from Dell, and my igpu is hd graphics 630. The common denominator is intel.

0 Kudos
BMine1
Beginner

Yeah I saw your post on the issue. Really frustrating. Tried starting up the computer this morning after sager getting back to me and now I have a blue screen Critical_Process_Died on start up, even in safe mode. So I have to deal with that before I can get back to sager. But for the black screen issue, at this point, I agree. This has to be something related more with intel than independent manufacturers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, but you need to get Sager to update their drivers. Also, That is the last driver they verified to work on your laptop. And, you need get them to update their laptop.

It does not matter that other users may have a similar issue. What matters is you work with Sager. If they determine there is an issue, they will work with Intel. The others need to work with their laptop manufacturer.

Updating dating windows, and using the proper driver from the manufacturer, is important. And, you paid Sager for their support. Make them earn it.

Doc

0 Kudos
BMine1
Beginner

I think you are probably right, I will go ahead and see if I can get some support from them directly.

0 Kudos
BMine1
Beginner

Went ahead and requested technical support from the sager, yesterday. Still haven't heard anything.

0 Kudos
TBarb7
Novice

I disagre. Looks like intel Intel is just pointing the finger at others instead of fixing the problem. Thats happening in lenovo, dell, msi, acer and a bunch of other systems.

0 Kudos
BMine1
Beginner

Also, not trying to throw intel under the bus, but it seems that whenever someone posts here with a similar issue, and someone from intel does respond, they always tell the customer to use the same method to fix it, but it never helps.

0 Kudos