Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20994 Discussions

UHD 770 Graphics driver issue

Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Hi

I have just bought a Dell Optiplex 5000 which immediately performed very poorly and had issues rendering a Dell screen properly (tiny white dots and blurred graphics). After a number of hours online with Dell I nailed down the issue as the Intel UHD 770 graphics driver. Uninstalling the driver from Display adapters within Device Manager immediately fixed screen rendering issues and performance issues.  On reboot the graphics driver is reinstalled and I have to go and uninstall again. I have tried updating the latest version of the driver and looking for other drivers that may work better.

Has anyone else had similar issues and come up with a solution? I am quite happy just to bin the driver as it work miles better without it - just not sure how. Not a major issue as I can uninstall each time I reboot, but there has to be a better solution.

By the way I tracked the issue down using Event Viewer, which repeatedly came up with the System warning "Display driver igfxn stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Many thanks for any info.

Cheers

Ed

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MRoss5200
Valued Contributor I

Did you download the customized graphics driver from Dell?

If you used the generic graphics driver from the Intel Downloadcenter site, it will be replaced with the customized graphics driver published to Windows Update by Dell.

0 Kudos
Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Hi

The driver came pre-loaded on my DELL. I then downloaded the generic driver from Intel and installed this. Both drivers give the same issue. I then had an event message "The start type of the igfxn service was changed from disabled to demand start." which has reinstalled the driver again, which I have had to uninstall again! All very confusing and annoying. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Ed_Brewster,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel graphics. I'll be glad to assist you.

Please provide the following information:

• What cable are you using to connect the monitor to the PC?
  • Are you using any video adapters/dongles/converters for the connection?

As well, perform the following steps:

1. Try a clean installation of the latest OEM graphics drivers, v30.0.101.2079. You can download them here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-5000-desktop/drivers
  2. If the issue persists with the OEM drivers installed, perform the clean installation but this time with the latest DCH drivers v31.0.101.3790 available at our Download Center (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html)

If none of these steps solves the issue, please provide the following two reports:

• On Windows, look for the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Go to Support > Click on System Diagnostic > Click on Generate report > Save the report as a .txt file and attach it to your reply.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Hi Steven

Many thanks for looking into this.

I am currently connecting with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, but I have also tried a USB to HDMI cable. The monitor also works fine when connected to my laptop.

I have run the DELL and Intel driver updates and neither resolve the issue. The only way I can get the system working effectively is if I disable the Intel UHD Graphics 770 driver from Device Manager. Once disabled the system works perfectly. If I uninstall the driver it re-installs when rebooted and I have to disable. Once disabled it remains so even on reboot.

I have attached the diagnostic reports - hopefully these show something useful.

Best regards

Ed

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Please perform the following steps:

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Thanks Steven

I have attached the diagnostic result.

Cheers

Ed

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your reply.

Could you please confirm if this issue happened since day 1 or if there was anything that changed in your system and could have triggered the issue?

As well, please perform the following steps:

• If available, try connecting a different monitor to the Optiplex 5000 and check if the same issue occurs.
  • Try a straight connection between the monitor and the Optiplex (e.g. HDMI to HDMI, DisplayPort to DisplayPort, etc.).

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Hi Steven

Yes this issue occurred as soon as I plugged in the monitor to the Optiplex. I have also tried another monitor which also has the same issues. I have tried various combinations of cables and all give the same issue.

Best regards

Ed

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.

I will keep working on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Many thanks for your continued support Steven.

I currently have the driver disabled and the system works fine - so it is just using the Microsoft default graphics driver. Not sure whether this has any knock-on effect but it does not seem to cause problems with anything I am currently doing, although the vast majority of work is static screens, no real video or games usage.

Cheers

Ed

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Ed_Brewster,

After reviewing this issue, it is very unlikely this issue is related to the graphics driver, especially since the same issue happens even when using the drivers provided by the OEM and on a different monitor. As well, if you need to disable the Intel® UHD Graphics 770 and use the Microsoft display driver in order to get it to work, it points out to be a hardware related issue.

We recommend you the following:

• Make sure to use a straight cable connection, since the use of adapters/dongles/converters are not recommended nor supported, as they can cause graphics issues.
  • Test both ports of your PC and check if the issue occurs on both.

Let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Ed_Brewster
Beginner

Hi Steven

I have only used a cable connection to the monitor. The only cables I can use are DisplayPort to HDMI and USB to HDMI as I have no other ports available. I have two DisplayPort ports on my Optiplex and only one works - which possibly points at an issue with the hardware in the PC.

Thanks

Ed

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I appreciate your response.

In this case, our best recommendation is to contact Dell Support for further assistance/information, as it may be related to a hardware issue.

Contact OEM: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos