Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21079 Discussions

UHD Graphics 750: sequence of ports

Norbicki
Beginner

I connected two monitors to the i5-11600: 4K to DisplayPort and HD to HDMI, the HD monitor connected to HDMI became the default display (BIOS and GRUB are displayed on it). When the monitor is off but connected to HDMI, it still comes first.

Is it possible to change the order of the ports so that DisplayPort is the default display?

Alternatively, does anyone know the order of all the ports? If I connect an HD monitor to the VGA port, which one is queued? (I don't have a VGA cable, and buying one only to have the other lying around in the box doesn't seem sensible to me).

The motherboard is an MSI B560M PRO-VDH, bios recently released.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah, now I understand what you're asking.

AFAIK, the order that the monitors are presented - and which is considered the primary by the BIOS - is something that is controlled by the BIOS implementation. The answer may vary from one motherboard vendor to another - and perhaps even from one board to another if the vendor is inconsistent. You thus, AFAIK, would need to contact your motherboard vendor for this ordering.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Norbicki, 

From what I am understanding, you are trying to re arrange your monitor display. 

You may follow the steps at this link: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005599/graphics.html

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Norbicki
Beginner

No, I don't want to rearrange my desktops, I don't even use Windows. I would like the main monitor to be a 4K monitor. The HD monitor is used occasionally, and when it's off with the cable connected, I can't access the BIOS and GRUB (system selection). Probably the internal GPU/motherboard software has a fixed order of checking ports (HDMI, DP...) and treats the first available one as default.

I've ordered a DP to HDMI converter cable, hopefully that will solve the problem. (Let's hope it doesn't turn out that the GPU considers the default port with a weaker monitor to be better "compatibility" or something like that).

However, the order of ports should be described somewhere, and the ability to change it would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Duxy
Novice

You would need to get the GOP module out of your bios and edit it with something like Intel BMP utility.

This is not something anyone can do in 1,2,3..

You'd be lucky if any manufacturer would edit that for anyone's request.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah, now I understand what you're asking.

AFAIK, the order that the monitors are presented - and which is considered the primary by the BIOS - is something that is controlled by the BIOS implementation. The answer may vary from one motherboard vendor to another - and perhaps even from one board to another if the vendor is inconsistent. You thus, AFAIK, would need to contact your motherboard vendor for this ordering.

...S

0 Kudos
Norbicki
Beginner

The GPU is integrated with the CPU, it might as well be Intel's chip responsible for that. I don't know, from MSI's side no one answered anything. But I know that you can find several similar queries on the Internet, to different manufacturers.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So now you're going to whine at Intel because your board manufacturer doesn't respond? The only thing that will accomplish is slow Intel's responsiveness for other issues.

...S

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Norbicki,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with MSI, however, as n_scott_pearson as mentioned, we do not have a way to change the primary connection in the BIOS as we are not familiar with the settings that the Original equipment manufacturer has done in the system due to the fact that it is controlled by the motherboard manufacturer. In order to do this, it is best to continue coordinating this with your motherboard manufacturer which is MSI. 

Although your logic is correct that the display is a function of the integrated GPU, when it comes to changing the primary display in the BIOS settings, it is a function of the motherboard. 

If you haven't use this link, you may try this to reach MSI Support: https://www.msi.com/support

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos