Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

UHD graphics 630, can the display default be changed?

RHodg2
Beginner

In installing two monitors, it appears that the VGA output is the default for display 1 and HDMI for display 2. Can these be switched so that display 1 is HDMI?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The display defaults are a function of your motherboard/bios and/or windows. Contact your device manufacturer, or microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos
RHodg2
Beginner

Thank you, Al

I spent about an hour with Dell and we explored what Windows 10 could do. You can switch the displays but in doing so, the mouse will not move to the other screen when you move it from #1 on the left to the left of the screen. I was hoping that the graphics hardware would have some additional setting that I could access to redirect the ports.

Bob

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Shut down the computer.

Unplug all displays.

Plug in the display that you want to be #1 (to be on your left-side).

Turn on the computer, let it boot.

Plug in the display that you want to be #2 (to be on your right side).

Now you have two displays.

All should be ok. If not, check in w10 settings that the displays are in EXTENDED mode.

Doc

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

You can select which display is the primary (1) and which one the second from Windows Settings, Display, you will see the display with an number placed over them. You can use bottons Identify and Detect, and at the bottom of the section you can find the option for "Make this my main display". Also, you can rearrange your displays (so to speak, make Windows understand where is the left display and where is the right display). You can rearrange your displays from there (windows settings, display), and from 1- HD Control panel, Display, Multiple Displays; and 2- from Intel graphaics command center, display, you just need to drag and drop to rearrange them...

0 Kudos
RHodg2
Beginner

thank you Al and Gh0stb1t,

Both of those answers work except for the mouse function. When I have the #1 display (HDMI) on the left of #2 (VGA), the only way to move the cursor to the other display is to move it left on number #1 to #2 and to the right for going from #2 to #1. I have always had the #1 display on the left - maybe this is not the most common mode. (I am left-handed if this makes any difference). You further thoughts welcome. Bob

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

I have a PC with 2 displays and with the same multi-monitor configuration you have and I can move the cursor from the left display (#1) to the right display (#2) by going from left to the right.... You can re-arrange the displays to have this configuration.... Maybe this YouTube videos can help you to ilustrate better how to set this up:

0 Kudos
RHodg2
Beginner

Hi Gh0stb1t,

That second youtube video did the trick for me. I think that I was not hitting the apply link after I have set up my configuration.

Thanks so much for your patient help!

B

0 Kudos