Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

UHD620 screen flickering problem

Cycloctane
Beginner

Hi,

There is a problem on my HP laptop with Win10 21H1, i5-8265U, only UHD620 integrated graphics.

After updating the driver, the screen blinks. It goes black then recovers immediately (probably within just a few frames). Usually when browsing websites, playing video and switching windows. Sometimes it flashes only once, sometimes it flashes several times successively.

When using Microsoft Edge, almost every mouse movements can cause screen flickering. However, the problem hardly occurs in Firefox.

I have upgraded BIOS and tried with following versions. The problem still remains

30.0.100.9955, 30.0.100.9684 (DCH drivers from Intel

27.20.100.9664 (from HP support website

27.20.100.9316 does not have the problem. But only 27.20.100.9664 and later versions are able to support Win11. It seems to mean that my laptop cannot work properly with Win11 because of the graphics driver issue, though it is shown on the supported list.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Cycloctane

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to understand better the scenario and review this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- We understand that the issue started after "updating the driver". Is this correct? Could you please confirm what the driver version was that you installed and "triggered the issue"?

2- Just to make sure, is the problem occurring with Windows* 10, Windows* 11, or with both operating systems (OS)?

If it is occurring with both OS, do you have dual boot OS or did you update from Windows 10 to Windows 11? Please provide details:

3- Is the "flickering problem" happening in the BIOS screen or only within Windows?

4- Is this happening only with the built-in display or also if you test using an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI)?

5- Is the behavior happening when the system is plugged into power source, when using only battery, or with both?

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Cycloctane
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers:

1. It started after I updated the driver to 30.0.100.9684. The problem also occurs in 27.20.100.9664 (downloaded from HP support site) and 30.0.100.9955. However, 27.20.100.9316 and earlier versions do not have the problem.

2.The problem occurs with both Win10 and Win11. I once updated my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Windows 11 automatically updated the graphics driver and then the problem occured. I cannot revert the graphics driver version within Windows 11. So I had to change the os back to Windows10 21H1 and revert the driver back to version 27.20.100.9316.

0 Kudos
Cycloctane
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers:

3.It only happens within Windows. It usually happens when snipping screen, playing videos and browsing websites with Microsoft Edge. But the problem won't occur in Microsoft Edge if I switch off "Use hardware acceleration when available" option in the MS Edge settings page.

4.I've tested with HDMI monitor. The problem seems to be happening only on the built-in screen. I've turned off all the power options in graphics command center but the problem still remains in laptop's built-in display.

5.It happens with both plugged into power and using battary.

0 Kudos
Cycloctane
Beginner

2. The problem occurs with both. Windows 11 automatically updated the graphics driver after updating from Windows 10.
And then the problem occured again. I cannot revert the graphics driver version within Windows 11. So I had to change the OS back to Windows10 21H1 and revert the driver back to version 27.20.100.9316.

0 Kudos
Cycloctane
Beginner

1. The flickering occurs with 30.0.100.9684, 30.0.100.9955 (from Intel) and 27.20.100.9664 (from HP).

27.20.100.9316 don't have the problem. I've revert to this version. But 9316 cannot support Windows 11.

0 Kudos
Cycloctane
Beginner

Here is the SSU file.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Cycloctane

Thank you for your response.

In order to discard issues related to previous driver updates and installation processes, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver.

Since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM) and OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues, the usual recommendation is to use the OEM driver as the first option. Please follow these steps:

1- Download the latest HP* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® Video Driver 27.20.100.9664 Rev.W

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager.

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 620 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest Intel® generic driver (.exe file) from this link: 

Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Driver Version 30.0.100.9955

Also, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

If the issue persists, please confirm the following details:

A- We understand the series of events that triggered the issue is as follows:

1- Upgraded to Windows® 11 (no OS fresh install). 2- The driver was automatically updated and the issue started to occur. 3- Roll back to Windows* 10 and the issue persisted with the latest drivers. 4- Roll back graphics driver to version 27.20.100.9316 and the issue is not present. Is this correct?

B- When you said "you changed the OS back to Windows10", do you mean you used Microsoft's option to revert? Or did you perform a Windows 10 fresh/clean install?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Cycloctane

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Cycloctane
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried a clean installation using version 30.0.100.9955, but the issue persists.

Actually, the issue had occured before upgrading to Windows 11. It first occured when I simply updated the driver to 30.0.100.9684 (generic driver) in Windows 10 21H1. Then I tried 27.20.100.9664 (from HP website), but the issue remained. I reverted the driver to 27.20.100.9316 and the flickering stopped occuring. Then I tried to upgrade to Windows 11 in order to check out if Windows 11 could work with driver version which wouldn't trigger the flickering. But Windows 11 automatically updated the driver to 27.20.100.9664 and the issue occured again. So I used Microsoft's option to roll back to Windows 10 and revert the driver to 27.20.100.9316. I didn't use a fresh install to revert.

I also tried HDMI monitor with version 30.0.100.9955 and 27.20.100.9664. The flickering seems to only happen on laptop's bult-in screen.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Cycloctane

Thank you for your response and for the video, it is very helpful.

We have released a new driver, could you please update the driver to this version and test it?

1. Once you update the driver, please make sure that the operating system is up to date. Please go to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates and run all pertinent updates.

If the behavior persists even with this driver version, please try disabling the Panel Self Refresh setting in the Intel Graphics Command Center by following the steps in this article: How to Enable and Disable Panel Self Refresh. Note: This setting depends on OEM customizations, so there is a chance that it might not be available in the IGCC tool for your system. If that is the case, please move to the steps below:

1. On your IGCC program, go to Displays and lower the resolution to the next setting down.
  2. Change the refresh rate to a lower setting.
  3. Put the system on full power.
  4. Disable Desktop Window Manager:
    1. Access the Power User menu by right-clicking the Windows taskbar icon.
    2. Select Run.
    3. Type “services.msc” into the Run dialog box.
    4. Locate Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
    5. Right-click on it and select Stop.
    6. Right click Desktop Window Manager Session Manager again.
    7. Select Properties.
    8. Under the General tab, modify the start-up type to Disabled.
    9. Press OK.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Cycloctane

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Cycloctane

We received your internal post and we understand that the issue persists even after testing the latest driver 30.0.101.1069 and with Panel Self Refresh setting disabled. Thank you for the details and for the reports and new video.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Cycloctane

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, our recommendation is to review this further with your computer manufacturer (OEM) since the issue seems to be just with your system, therefore, this should be reported to the OEM.

We are recommending this since even OEM drivers are failing and the issue is not present in an external display. Also, we do not have more reports about this to consider the behavior as a known issue from our side. For your convenience, here is the link to HP* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos