Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20637 Discussions

UHD710: High memory usage and memory leak issues with WPF application.

JHM_DEV
Novice

Hello,

I would like to inquire about the memory leak issues we encountered when running a WPF full-screen (KIOSK) application in an environment using Intel UHD Graphics 710 (1GB).

We have dealt with a number of PCs using the same H/W configuration.

These PCs run a KIOSK program developed with WPF.

We've been using the PCs with the following configuration since Feb, 2023 and we encountered the memory leak issue:

PC (1) - H/W configuration with the issue (since Feb, 2023.)

• Mainboard: H610M H DDR4
  • Installed .NET version: 4.8
  • CPU: Intel Celeron(R) G6900 x64, Core * 2
  • RAM: 7.8GB
  • Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 710 1GB
  • Graphic driver: 30.0.101.1273

A memory leak occurred in the WPF app running on every single PC with the configuration above.

We've checked if there's any issue regarding Software memory leaks and have tried to figure out the issue by installing .NET Framework 4.8.1..

Also, I updated the graphics driver's version to 31.0.101.3790/31.0.101.2114 but the issue was not resolved.

We concluded that this is the memory leak issue with new configuration as we haven't encountered this kind of issue with the same program in the previous configuration (until Jan, 2023) which is mentioned below:

PC (2) - H/W configuration not occurring the issue (until Jan, 2023.)

• Mainboard: H410M S2H V3
  • Installed .NET version: 4.7
  • CPU: Intel Celeron(R) G5905 @3.50GHz x64, Core * 2
  • RAM: 3.8GB
  • Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 610 1GB
  • Graphic driver: 27.20.100.8280

Like suggested in the community's reply(link), the memory leak issue didn't happen when running WPF app using S/W rendering in PC (1). (It originally used H/W rendering.)

Also, the problem did not occur when using the graphics card as a Geforce GTX1050.

I understand that there might be other various reasons for this issue but considering (a) this was solved by applying the 'software (CPU) rendering' way, and (b) this problem didn't occur in the UHD 610, We assume that this issue is related to graphics card or graphics driver.

So, I would like to know if there is any solution for this memory leak in PC (1)'s environment.

For your information, I attached WPF test program to remake this issue.

When running the "WpfMemoryLeakTestApp.exe", the used memory log is written in file named "WpfMemoryLeakTestApp_Log.txt" per 10 seconds.

To review this issue thoroughly, please check this log after running the test program for more than 2 hours.

a.png

Also, I attached the log of the WPF test program when running for more than 2 hours on PC (1) with the issue and PC (2) without the issue. The names of the logs are like the following : "PC1_ERROR_LOG.txt" and "PC2_NORMAL_LOG.txt", respectively.

PC (1) is tested with the graphic driver 31.0.101.3790 ver. Installed and, PC (2) is tested with the same graphic driver installed in PC (1).

From these logs, you can check that the memory in PC (1) is used more than twice the one in PC (2) and also the memory in PC (1) is increasing, but PC (2) is stable despite of graphic driver with the issue installed.

Thank you.

Henry Jang.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello JHM_DEV,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel UHD Graphics 710.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is the issue present with the BETA driver version (31.0.101.4257)?

2. Did you check with Microsoft to confirm if the OS is completely updated as well for the drivers needed since you are using the "Enterprise LTSC" version?

3. Can you provide specific steps on how to replicate the issue and how to use the files that you provided?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

JHM_DEV
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for the reply!

First, I'm going to run a test in the KIOSK PCs with installing the beta driver(31.0.101.4257) you suggested.

I expect to get a test result regarding the beta driver next Monday(April, 3) and I will leave additional comments about the result in this post.

While the test is being run, here I left my answers for your questions, please check them in advance.

Q2. Did you check with Microsoft to confirm if the OS is completely updated as well for the drivers needed since you are using the "Enterprise LTSC" version?

A2. I downloaded all the auto updates provided by LTSC.

However, as mentioned in the last inquriy, the memory leak issue did not occur when running the app with the software rendering way, I assume it is not something related to updates.

Q3. Can you provide specific steps on how to replicate the issue and how to use the files that you provided?

A3. First, please download 'WpfMemoryLeakTestApp_exe.zip' to check the memory leak test program.

'WpfMemoryLeakTestApp_sourcecode_vs2022.zip' is the source code(which is developed with Visual Studio 2022) file of the test app.

I build this test program with .NET Framework 4.6, x86 build, and C# .WPF (It is made as same environment with the actual KIOSK program.)

[How to run a test app]

a) A test starts by running the app. - That's all! As it is the test program, I made it simple.

The followings are some additional information for your reference.
JHM_DEV_0-1680323409313.png

b) The memory usage is written in log file 'WpfMemoryLeakTestApp_Log.txt' per 10 seconds.

Please check the log data after running the app at least 2 hours for the detailed test.

c) You can switch H/W and S/W rendering by clicking 'Rendering' button on the top of the program.

a.png

0 Kudos
JHM_DEV
Novice

Hello,

I checked that the memory leak is solved by installing the beta driver ver. 31.0.101.4257 as you mentioned in the last reply.

Also, I checked that the issue is solved with the driver ver. 31.0.101.4255 that I didn't recognize before as it was not on the list of supported CPU (Celeron G6900).

However, the memory with these two drivers is still used 2 times more than one in UHD610, I hope this would be solved in the next version.

As the driver ver. 30.0.101.1273 is still automatically downloaded for UHD710 graphic card in Windows update,

I hope this new driver you mentioned would be released to a lot of PCs using Windows update(I'm not sure if it is under your control or MS's, though).

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello JHM_DEV, 

Thanks for the confirmation. In this case, since the issue is fixed with the BETA and official driver versions for Windows 10 and Windows 11, I recommend you check/report this issue to Microsoft.

This is because the "Enterprise LTSC" version only uses the official driver released by Microsoft and that is why it reinstalled version 30.0.101.1273.

Microsoft has to fix or correct the issue since the op[eaering system is affecting the performance of the software and hardware.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ediwang
Beginner

This is still happening on i9 13900H with Iris XE graphics.

I tested both latest drivers, they did not solve the issue.

I don't know if this is a Microsoft issue or Intel issue. But I hope Intel and Microsoft can work together to get this solved.

I created an issue in WPF repo for Microsoft to investigate the problem. 

https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/7704