Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

UPDATE DIRECTX 10.1 TO 11

JaimeR
Novice

HELP UPDATE MY DIRECTX 10.1 TO 11

I LEAVE MY INTEL AND MY SYSTEM INFORMATION

THANK YOU

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @JaimeR

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Checking the screenshots, we noticed that the computer has an Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor, which comes with Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor and Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors have been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Note: You might need to search for the proper Product Category and click on its "Show more" link if the product is not visible in the top rows.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @JaimeR

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Checking the screenshots, we noticed that the computer has an Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor, which comes with Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor and Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors have been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Note: You might need to search for the proper Product Category and click on its "Show more" link if the product is not visible in the top rows.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

JaimeR
Novice
thank you
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since Andrew didn't take the time to explain the situation properly, I will do so.

When Windows 10 was about to be released, Intel made the decision to only support the graphics solutions in 3rd gen and later Intel Core processors. Consequently, there are no Windows 10 graphics drivers from Intel to support any earlier generations. 

Microsoft provides a compatibility driver that allows the graphics engines in older processor (and chipset) generations to continue to be utilized, but this driver has a significant number of performance and compatibility issues and, as you have seen, its support for the various Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) - DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCL, etc. - is woefully out of date. Microsoft has stated that this driver is frozen (i.e., no updates will be forthcoming) and that they will not entertain any requests for such updates.

Bottom line, there is absolutely no chance that you will see any update in the supported version of DirectX or any other API on these older processors and chipsets. Since you have a laptop and thus no alternatives for upgrading your graphics hardware, you will need to replace this laptop if you require access to any newer versions of the graphics APIs.

Sorry, reality bites, 

...S