Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Unable to Duplicate monitor screen on system upgraded to Windows 10.

NMcIn1
Beginner

We have upgraded a HP Compaq Pro 4300 All in One system that has a Intel Pentium G870. Once we upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 pro we are unable to duplicate the desktop screen to our secondary monitors, only option we get is extend but If we disable the Intel HD Graphics driver on this system we are able to duplicate the monitors using Microsoft Basic Driver but the system is laggy without the Intel HD Graphics enabled.

Microsoft support was unable to figure out this issue and suggested to get Intel involved but Intel will not support old discontinued products so they can only suggest reading forms.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Be happy that you have it working at all. Your (sandy bridge) processor and the graphics are not supported on W10. And, there is no support for your hardware here.

Doc

0 Kudos
NMcIn1
Beginner

Yeah well for xxx and giggles we installed windows 10 onto a system from XP/Vista era is working just fine and able to duplicate displays. Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo, works better than this newer system.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, but windows 10 is still not supported on your hardware.

However, congratulations on getting off of XP and Vista. And, you have only 6 months left of W7 support.

It is time for you to invest in some new hardware.

Doc

0 Kudos
NMcIn1
Beginner

Not my hardware to invest into, for over 30 systems that run everything fine. Cost money to upgrade them all and when all other systems work fine but this specific model is insane and should force us into upgrading systems. W7 it is then.

0 Kudos
NMcIn1
Beginner

Windows 10 isnt supported for half the systems its running on also so that statement doesnt mean a whole lot, its a MS failure to allow any system to upgrade to Windows 10 if they didnt test them thoroughly.

0 Kudos
NMcIn1
Beginner

I also realize new system would work, my questions is suggestions to get it working. Just 1 simple setting is gone has nothing to do with windows 10 supporting this system. If this system wasn't supported for windows 10 it would constancy crash, bluescreen, or not operated properly at all. Only issue is duplicate monitor setting missing when Intel HD is enabled, disabling it works fine.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Tell the owners to not wait until the last minute of support on W7 and plan their migration. There is no point in keeping this old gear running. Study after study has indicated that it costs more to continue investing in maintenance and support for this old hardware. And, those who do stay on the old hardware refuse to accept the reality and will want to blame problems after the support period ends, either on Microsoft or Intel, or both.

There is no failure here. Just how far back do you believe Intel and/or Microsoft should support these boat anchors? How long do you keep your cell without upgrading?

The reality is that times change, hardware changes, operating system requirements change. It is time to move on. Else, the company you support will end up being a news story sometime late next year.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As I informed you, your sandy bridge processor is not supported on Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
NMcIn1
Beginner

People are still running on XP and 2000 or 2003 devices still to this day. Some people need older OS for proprietary software, etc.

You saying Sandy Bridge isn't supported to me means nothing now, I have tested multiple Sandy Bridges and they work fine. This particular system itself I just tried using different Pentium and i5 both were unable to duplicate screens unless disabling driver. So its just this motherboard and chip-set at this point but im sure there is a way around it, there is always a fix some way or another.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not going to debate something as senseless as people ignorant enough to still be running those operating systems. As an IT support person, you should be trying to educate your customer on the pros and benefits of upgrading.

I did not say sandy bridge would not work. I said it was not supported. Not supported as in NO NEW DRIVERS.

Good luck supporting these relics.

Doc

0 Kudos
NMcIn1
Beginner

Not a debate, you just gave bad suggestions and act like you have never tried supporting clients with older systems than 2016 and newer. This form was asking a question about this specific system, if i wanted someone to tell me its not supported I wouldn't ask people questions in forms.

You must live in a perfect world where your customers will upgrade when you tell them. System runs fine they don't upgrade.

Thanks for posting but I have been supporting these relics just fine, when some business have no upgrading path for software that's it for them. I will go back to windows 7 on these specific PCS and call it a day.

Thank You

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You have no idea of what hardware I support, and should not make such assumptions. And, I have well explained the consequences of such hardware to my customers, which is what a good consultant should do.

If your customer's systems were running fine, you would not be here on the form (also known as forum).

No, not a perfect world, but a world where I face reality and inform users of the same. I do not convince myself that these old machines run "fine".

Glad I could help you with the reality of the situation.

Cheers.

Doc

0 Kudos