Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20691 Discussions

Unable to deploy Intel Graphics Drivers Via SCCM (ECM) due to system folder restriction

Stephen_in_TN
Beginner

Hello,

I am attempting to silently deploy the latest Intel graphics drivers to endpoints via Endpoint Configuration Manager (formerly SCCM). Because our users are not administrators, we must use an endpoint management system to deploy software. ECM uses the built-in system account to install software. Due to some odd restriction on your graphic (and possibly other) installers, we are unable to deploy the latest graphics driver.

When the system attempts to install the driver, we receive a pop-up message stating, "The application is in an unauthorized location. Please move to a non-system folder".

As I stated before, we use ECM, which installs applications, drivers, etc, via the system account. The temp folder for the system account in this case, is c:\Windows\Temp.

I have never run into a restriction such as this with software from ANY other vendor and I deal with hundreds!  Why on earth does Intel do this? 

Is there another version of the driver that is meant to be used in managed environments?

Stephen_in_TN_0-1706547317025.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Stephen_in_TN,

Thank you for posting in our community.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps provided in the link below and let us know the results.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Stephen_in_TN
Beginner

Hello,

I want to state outright that having this "no system folders" policy for driver installers is incredibly dumb. So far, no one can tell me who is responsible for this genius move or its reasoning. I can tell you that Intel is THE ONLY vendor with this sort of restriction built into its installers.

That rant aside, I would like to ask you how we are supposed to implement solution number 2 in the referenced article when there is ZERO documentation on how to EXTRACT the drivers from the installer?

If for any reason, it’s not possible to move the temporary folder, a possible alternative is to use PnPUtil /add-driver command in a script to install the driver.

• For integrated graphics: The target INF to be used is iigd_dch.inf.
  • For discrete graphics: The target INF to be used is iigd_dch_d.inf.

In order for this to work, we need to be able to extract the inf files and associated driver contents from the installer. This is the only command line reference available:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006773/graphics.html

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Stephen_in_TN,

We are checking in with you on the graphics driver issue we are having in case you have any additional queries or require further explanation. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Stephen_in_TN,,

We are checking in with you on the graphics driver issue that we have, as we have not heard any response from you.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Stephen_in_TN,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this enquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos