Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Unable to split additional display

Erhan
Beginner

I am using Comsol HDMI splitter and trying to connect two external monitors to LENOVO 81H7, running on UHD 620 (all specifications) attached. Intel advising online that two separate units can be connected. Both are connected however, they are replicated and I want each monitor to operate independently. Second and third monitor as appearing as one. Software is up to date, but display settings is not giving me any choice to re-arrange third unit. Multiple displays are only offering:

1) Duplicate these displays

2) Extend these displays (current setting but only for one external display; second external display is simply duplicate of first external one)

3) Show only on 1

4) Show only on 2

What I am doing wrong? Spent hours searching for a link or instructions.

Regards

Erhan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Using a HDMI splitter, you will never be able to do anything but have duplicate displays; that is all a splitter can do.

If you want to connect two independent displays via a single output, you cannot do so via HDMI; it simply does not have that capability.

You need to use a DisplayPort output (typically available these days via USB-C connectors supporting DisplayPort Alt. Mode). You also need to make use of DisplayPort's Multi-Stream Transport (MST) feature, either through the use of DisplayPort monitor daisy-chaining or a MST Hub device. The latter is your best bet, since you can find higher levels of integration that make it simple. For example,

Now, it is important to understand that when you connect two independent monitors to a DisplayPort output, these monitors share the output's bandwidth. For example, a DisplayPort output capable of supporting a 4K monitor at 60Hz can support two 4K monitors, but only at 30Hz.
Well, that covers it. Let me know what additional questions you have,
...S
P.S. The linked examples are for demonstration purposes only. I have not tested them and thus cannot endorse them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Using a HDMI splitter, you will never be able to do anything but have duplicate displays; that is all a splitter can do.

If you want to connect two independent displays via a single output, you cannot do so via HDMI; it simply does not have that capability.

You need to use a DisplayPort output (typically available these days via USB-C connectors supporting DisplayPort Alt. Mode). You also need to make use of DisplayPort's Multi-Stream Transport (MST) feature, either through the use of DisplayPort monitor daisy-chaining or a MST Hub device. The latter is your best bet, since you can find higher levels of integration that make it simple. For example,

Now, it is important to understand that when you connect two independent monitors to a DisplayPort output, these monitors share the output's bandwidth. For example, a DisplayPort output capable of supporting a 4K monitor at 60Hz can support two 4K monitors, but only at 30Hz.
Well, that covers it. Let me know what additional questions you have,
...S
P.S. The linked examples are for demonstration purposes only. I have not tested them and thus cannot endorse them.

Erhan
Beginner

Hi Scott

Many thanks for replying so quickly as well as very detailed explanation.

Our work will be issuing us new laptops, so I will wait and see if new ones will come with display port, and purchase one of the products you mentioned.

Officeworks technician probably misunderstood my issue when I went to shop, as I told him I wanted connect second external display to my laptop, he immediately suggested splitter.

Regards

Erhan

0 Kudos
Cedric2
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I have similar issue and I have a device similar to what you recommended below. With this device, I was able to detect 3 displays in my work laptop. 

However, the issue comes when I am using my personal laptop running on Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics. My laptop could detect the 2nd external monitor but the 3rd external monitor is a duplicate of the 2nd one. Extend display option on extends from my laptop screen to the 2nd monitor. This has been very troubling. Could it be a software issue?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Cedric2, please open a separate conversation regarding this issue. I have a feeling ICS will want to look into this one. You can use the Ask a Question button on the main Community page to create this conversation.

...S

0 Kudos