Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20951 Discussions

Unable to update my Intel 5500 HD graphics My system tells me it's incompatible

Aldo1
Beginner

Hi so, I was trying to enable my Microsoft Defender memory exploit protection, but I'm unable to do so due to the tool saying that my intel graphics driver is not compatible with my system.

So I tried to download the new update but it turns out that the most recent driver for intel is not supported by my manufacturer, and they only provide the version that is incompatible with my system.  My current version is: 20.19.15.4835 

processor is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 

So I saw that I could do a clean installation of that, but I need help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In many cases, the driver install will fail because it thinks that a customized driver package is installed. In other cases, the driver install will fail because a driver package from a different driver stream is installed. In both cases, the answer is to do a clean install of the latest package.

Now, before we continue, I do have to warn you that, in the case of laptop and all-in-one platforms, installing the generic driver packages from Intel will wipe out any customizations that your system may have had on it. This can result in features (custom keys, controls, etc.) no longer working and/or, in some rare cases, overall platform instability.

According to my records, the latest driver package that you could install is 15.40.48.5171. I am not seeing Intel hosting this package for download any longer, but I do have a copy of it in my archive and you can get it from there. Here is the link to a share offering a portion of my archive: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-kKYC-ZscC-c2BlQKiQ. You want file GFX_Win7_8.1_10_x64_15.40.48.5171.zip.

Next, you need to understand how to execute the clean install. Here is my step-by-step process (follow it exactly):

1. Extract the installation executable package from the ZIP file and copy it onto the system. Do not install it just yet. 
  2. Very important: Disconnect the system from the Internet. Unplug any Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless networking. Note that, if using Wireless, it should be disabled in such a way that reboots can occur without it automatically being reenabled.
  3. In the Windows Apps and Features applet, check to see if there is an Intel HD Graphics or Intel Graphics entry. If not, skip to Step 6.
  4. Click on each of the Intel HD Graphics and/or Intel Graphics entries and select Uninstall.
  5. Reboot the system, keeping Internet access disconnected.
  6. From Windows Device Manager, check if there is an entry for an Intel Graphics adapter in the Display Adapters category. If you see only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, skip to Step 10.
  7. Right-click on the entry for the Intel Graphics adapter and select Uninstall Device. Checkmark Delete the driver software for this device and then click on the Uninstall button.
  8. Repeat step 7 until the entry for an Intel Graphics adapter entry no longer appears in the Display Adapters category or the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.
  9. Go back to Step 5.
  10. Install the new driver package that you copied onto the system in Step 1.
  11. Reboot the system. Do it manually if the driver package does not say it requires one.
  12. Reconnect Internet access. Plue Ethernet cable back in and/or reenable Wireless.
  13. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos