Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21009 Discussions

Unusable screen after Intel Xe Graphics update

Jaypsterrs
Beginner

I've just updated my laptop's Intel graphics card this morning to the latest version:

Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.5592  Release date: June 14, 2024

I updated this via the web-based Intel Driver & Support Assistant, using a clean install. 

Since then, I've been having issues with the screen flickering like crazy. I also noticed that this only happens when my computer goes into sleep mode or when I close the lid and then I try to turn it back on. A computer restart does not fix the problem. It'll display the Omen loading symbol upon restart just fine, but then it'll go black and then start flickering once it gets to the windows login screen. The only way to get it working again is to do a full shutdown and then powering on the laptop. 

I've tried hooking the laptop to an external display via HDMI while the laptop screen is flickering, and the external monitor displays everything just fine. I'm gonna roll back to the last known working Intel graphics driver and hopefully it resolves the issue. 

I'll be attaching my latest SSU it it's going to be of any help. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jaypsterrs, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. Since this is an OEM (Branded Laptop) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system. 

I do want to ask, is the same issue occurring with the 31.0.101.5382 recommended by your OEM? The reason I ask is I want to check for compatibility issues. Additionally, may I please know the reason why you are trying to upgrade your drivers? I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

Jaypsterrs
Beginner

Hi Ramyer, 

Thank you for the reply! And you are right, I went through the OEM website, and the recommended "latest" driver for my laptop model is the  31.0.101.5382.  

For the longest time, actually since I got this laptop, I've always installed all the recommended updates that pops up from the Intel Arc Control app and the Intel Driver & Support assistant website. I was updating not because I was having any problems with the current version I had, but because I was thinking that the OEM usually releases updates late and I should always update to the latest version. For which I have not had any problems doing so up until I got to the 31.0.101.5592 version. After encountering the screen issue with the 5592, I reverted back to the last working version I had, which was the 31.0.101.5590, but funnily the problem persisted. 

On further investigation, it seems that with the latest driver (5592) it's having issues identifying the integrated monitor, which I saw from the device manager tab showing that the integrated monitor has stopped working. I reverted to the 5382 version, and now everything is working well with no issues whatsoever.

Lesson learned: If it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm just gonna go with installing the recommended Windows updates and the OEM updates (via their own support app) for now. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jaypsterrs, 

Thank you for responding back to us and I am glad that you are no longer experiencing the issue. 

We value your preference for using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant for updates. However, since you're operating an OEM device, we strongly recommend adhering to the drivers suggested by the manufacturer. OEM systems often have tailored configurations and may have undergone specific modifications that necessitate the use of proprietary drivers.

I will be closing this case now but should you need assistance in the future, do not hesitate to create a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos