Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Updating GPU error - "driver being installed is not validated for this computer"

TArms4
Beginner

I want to update my GPU to the latest version. When I check for updates through the Device Manager or Intel Support Assistant, it says I am up to date. However, there are way newer versions on the intel website itself. I tried to update it manually using the igfx_win10_100.8190.exe file given on the website, but after I click on that downloaded file to further the install process, I receive an error message that says:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

This is my current laptop information:

HP Pavilion Notebook; version F.09

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Processor- IntelCore i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) (version: 10.0.18362.693)

Graphics- Intel HD Graphics 520 (version: 22.20.16.4836, date: 10/17/2017)

After researching myself online, a user fixed this issue by uninstalling their out-of-date GPU and driver. They restarted their computer and the restart allowed them to run the new drivers, bypassing incompatibility issues.

HOWEVER, I only have the one out-of-date GPU driver installed on my laptop, and am afraid of uninstalling it and the system going haywire for not having a second GPU to take over. When I try to manually update and download the newest GPU driver, it doesn't let me download it at all because of the error message provided above.

HOWEVER HOWEVER, I do not know a lot about how computers work, so maybe the above case wouldn't happen at all and I should just go ahead and try uninstalling. That is why I am here seeking guidance on this issue!

How on earth do I properly and successfully update to the newest GPU driver without running into an error message?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I must warn you that laptops manufacturers tends to customize their drivers. Therefor, we advise to use drivers found in manufacturer site. Installing Intel generic driver, may lead to loosing some customization.
  2. However, you may download and install your driver manually. Do not affray to uninstall the currently installed driver, you will not loos the display.
  3. Download the latest DCH Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.100.8190 .
  4. Disconnect the internet.
  5. Right click on currently installed driver (in Device Manager), then click on Uninstall device. Check the "Delete the driver software from this device" option.
  6. Reboot your computer. After finishing uninstalling you should see Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter.
  7. Now, install previously downloaded driver 26.20.100.8190
  8. Reconnect the internet and reboot your computer.

Leon

0 Kudos