Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

I'm starting this discussion space as somewhere to post tips, tricks, and difficulties to discuss EDID modification. If you have a question or comment, post it here and help your fellow users by answering their questions.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
DRosa2
Beginner

Hi Bryce! I'm basically a newbie when it comes to EDID modification and all this stuff. I just want to overclock my laptop's display to run at 1024x768 at 75 Hz so I can play CS:GO more fluently. I already tried the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and Custom Resolution Utility, but both don't work. How do I increase my laptop monitor's refresh rate?

0 Kudos
llybx
New Contributor I

Use https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

I used the detailed resolutions ones at native resolution at 74hz. It somehow also adds 74hz on every resolution other than the native resolution.

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

As I said, CRU doesn't work

0 Kudos
llybx
New Contributor I

oh, just looked at your driver version. you can't overclock your monitor on that version. have to be version 4624 or higher.

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

Updated, but CRU still doesn't work for me

0 Kudos
llybx
New Contributor I

Did you restart after applying the changes in CRU?

Just Restarting the Graphics Drivers won't work,have to fully restart windows.

It should works, It works with my i5-4210h.

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

Do we have the same laptop?

Yup, it works, but after setting it to 75 Hz the screen just goes black and reverts, which is weird since 1024x768@75Hz has lesser effective MHz that 1366x767@60Hz.

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

Wait, just found out that it works on the native resolution, 1366x768@75Hz works. Thanks! I wonder why it won't work on lower res, though.

0 Kudos
llybx
New Contributor I

idk, my laptop also can't handle 75hz at all resolution including 640x480. so I went with 74hz at 1366x768.

EDIT : lucky you, well enjoy then

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

Thanks for the help!

Is there a way to verify if the overclock is stable?

0 Kudos
KVeer1
Beginner

One very strange quirk I've found is that the actual refresh rate tends to be about 10% higher than the driver tells me it is!

It seems to happen quite consistently with any high refresh rate I choose.

In the photo below you'll see my gaming CRT running at 163Hz, even though through windows it's listed as 148.

And when I tell the driver to make it 144Hz. it seems to become 152Hz. Which is kind of interesting, given how non-linear this increase seems to be.

148 is also the max it will take. When connected to a dedicated GPU the max REPORTED refresh rate it will take is ~160Hz.

With the dedicated GPU the refresh rate listed by the monitor DOES match the reported refresh rate of 160Hz in that case quite closely.

So it seems that the intel driver just boosts the refresh rate a little by itsself for some reason.

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

Maybe that quirk is only for CRTs. When my laptop panel is set to 100hz with CRU & the EDID-unlocked intel driver it runs at 100hz - I verified this via slow mo camera & refresh rate multitool (google it).

0 Kudos
RK5
Beginner

Hi all,

Anyone know the 3rd party software to override EDID ? in order to solve problem of laptop screen replacement which cause brightness control doesn't work in Windows.

0 Kudos
EP
New Contributor I

After having followed the other thread for years and finally seeing the community get the EDID support we've been asking for, I just wanted to reach out and thank you for all of your help and dedication to making this happen. Not only is this good for being able to overclock your laptop LCD, but also make custom resolutions on laptops with 4K displays that either don't scale well, or need to be run at lower resolutions to get better performance.

I was able to overclock my Samsung PLS 15.6" display from 60Hz all the way up to 103Hz stable. I decided to stick to 100Hz and call it a day, and the difference from 60Hz is simply amazing.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
rricc2
Beginner

Bryce@Intel

I own a mobile I7, 3td generation (+ amd 7970m), so i cannot use 3rd party EDID application to modify modes, so i cannot set up 75hz resolution for example.

EDIT:

i find out also in intel control panel is possible add custom resolution.

BUT when i try to add the 75hz the panel say "maximum bandwidth exceed" and dont let me save the custom resolution...

can you simply add the ability to force to save it anyway, please?

of give us some config file already saved to copy in our registry or where intel contro lpanel save the custom resolution, with certain custom resolution like 2560x1080x69hz, 2560x1080x70hz, 2560x1080x75hz... i mean the standard one most people want to use at 70/75 hz, with 2-3 hz variation?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So I recently bought a 1440p 144hz monitor, planning to run it at 1080p 144hz until I buy a new computer. At the moment I'm on some gigabyte laptop with a 950m, running the external monitor over hdmi. The only problem is that I can't change the refresh rate to anywhere near 1080p 144hz, keep on running into the 'maximum bandwidth exceeded' message. Can run at 1440p 60hz fine though. Is this a problem with Intel drivers? The ark sheet says I can push 4k60 over my hdmi, but can't do lower resolutions at higher refresh rates.

0 Kudos
JHusi
Beginner

I have problem with i5 6600k (HD 530). I have LG 24GM77-B which is 1080p 144Hz monitor. In my case only few resolutions have options for higher refresh rates: 1280x1024@75Hz, 1024x768@120Hz and 800x600@120Hz. The rest of them are 59 and 60 Hz.

By using custom resolutions I can only create same combinations or new ones with lower refresh rates. CRU utility does nothing for me. I tried it on driver version they recommended which is 15.45. I will try on 15.46 now (edit: same with latest 15.46)

I am using Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI motherboard and using its DVI-D Dual Link port.

The report from Intel graphics is in the attachment. Weird thing is that inside it says that I'm using HDMI connector It also clearly reports that 1920x1080@144Hz IS supported.

Help please

0 Kudos
JHusi
Beginner

Is Raw EDID that is exported using "Information Center" in Intel Graphics software the actual EDID we need to edit? In my case its not the same as tools like moninfo or CRU read...

When i create modified .inf windows won't let me manualy add it in device manager 😕

Why can't we have normal drivers that support all modes monitor is capable of..... >_>

0 Kudos
ERodr15
Beginner

Hi.

I have a LG Ultrawide 25' monitor, which is being detected by the Intel HD Graphics as a Digital Television (I'm connect it via HDMI). As it's detecting it wrongly as a Digital Television, I'm not able to change saturation options in the color configuration tab.

I was linked in this thread, as the NVIDIA solution uses a EDID override for forcing it to be detected as a monitor, but I have no idea in how to do it in Intel HD Graphics.

Anyone can help me on that?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

This thread describes exactly my problem (wrong detection as a Digital Television).

0 Kudos
DWill14
Beginner

Would love some help with this issue. Have a Gemini Lake J4105-ITX board, with Intel UHD 600. I'm wanting to go PC -> TV (passthrough) -> receiver. For some reason the generic TV edid that is being loaded shows no 5.1/DTS/Dolby support despite this setup working perfectly fine on my previous HTPC build with an older ATI 5000-series card. It seems like I have to edit the edid to add dts/dolby support, but I can't seem to find any proper tutorial or instructions on how to exactly do this. Thanks!

0 Kudos