Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Using a laptop with Intel UHD 620 graphics and latest drivers from Intel, it seems that I only get 8-bit color depth on my Benq PD3200U display. How to enable 10-bit color depth?

AHumm2
Beginner

Used laptop manufacturer drivers before with same issue. It's a Dell Latitude 5590 laptop.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello AHumm2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

• How is the laptop connected to the monitor? HDMI to HDMI? are you using any adapter/docking station?
  • Have you checked the available options in Intel® Graphics Command Center to see what option you have regarding display settings?
  • Have you tested a different tv/monitor?
  • Have you tried a different video port of your laptop?
  • Are you using a certified high-quality cable example HDMI 2.0 cable?
  • Is the HDMI port of your laptop 2.0?

Please generate the following report:

DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AHumm2
Beginner

Hello Andrian,

• I use a Display Port over USB type C connection from the laptop to the monitor.
  • There don't seem to be any options for color-depth in Intel Graphics Command Center. I expect to find them under the Display option, but can't find any.
  • I have not tested a different TV/monitor as I don't have any 10-bit displays that I am aware of. Maybe my Panasonic plasma TV supports >8 bit color-depth, but I would have to research that. Also I won't be able use the Diplay Port over USB type C connection in that case, as the TV only has HDMI.
  • I have tried the HDMI output of the laptop. Also 8-bit color-depth in that case. And when using HDMI, the refresh rate can't be higher than 30Hz, so I would prefer to use Display Port over USB type C.
  • When testing with the HDMI port, I used a cable that has the text "High Speed HDMI cable with ethernet" printed on it. I don't know if this means it is certified. I can try other cables if that would be helpful, but as said earlier I would prefer to use the Display Port option.
  • According to Dell Latitude 5590 documentation it is: HDMI 1.4 (UMA)/ HDMI 2.0 (Discrete). The same document also has information about the DP over USB-C:

Full DisplayPort audio/video (A/V) performance (up to 4K at 60Hz)

SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1) data

Reversible plug orientation and cable direction

Backwards compatibility to VGA, DVI with adaptors

Supports HDMI 2.0a and is backwards compatible with previous versions

The dxdiag report is attached.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello AHumm2,

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for the details provided, I would like to confirm the part number of your monitor since I can 2 versions of the monitor you have BenQ PD3200U 32" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor & BenQ PD3220U DesignVue Designer 31.5" 16:9 HDR 4K IPS Monitor.

Please confirm the part number of the monitor.

By any chance, can you check in windows settings: Go to Settings > System > Display > Windows HD Color settings, and make sure Play HDR games and apps is turned on.

Please generate the following report:

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AHumm2
Beginner

Hello Adrian,

The monitor I have is the PD3200U 32", the other is a newer model. Both have 10-bit panels.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/45217fac0

The suggested setting in Windows HD Color settings is not available (screenshot attached).

The output from SSU (detailed view) is attached.

Regards,

Arjan

0 Kudos
AHumm2
Beginner

Hello Adrian,

I noticed that when I enable both displays in extended mode (both the BenQ display and the Dell laptop display are active), the laptop display does show the Windows HD Color settigs. When selecting the BenQ display, the option is not available. Not sure if this is important, but I wanted to let you know anyway.

Regards,

Arjan Hummel

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello AHumm2,

Thank you for all the details.

I was further investigating this configuration set up and I would like to inform you that we are working on Intel(R) Graphics Command Center to show a color depth option. Therefore we recommend keeping an eye on the coming releases to check it out.

In the meantime, the controller, driver, and OS will determine what configuration to use for color depth.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AHumm2
Beginner
Hi Adrian, Ok. Do you have any timeline on when that option will be available? Q2, Q3 or later? I understand it cannot be a hard promise. Do you agree that the setup should be able to provide 10-bit color depth experience? Regards, Arjan Met vriendelijke groeten, Arjan Hummel
0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello AHumm2,

Thank you for your reply.

We are constantly making improvements in our hardware/software currently there is no ETA for this new release we recommend you to keep checking new releases of the  Intel(R) Graphics Command Center.

Regarding your question, it's important to know that the monitor/TV needs to be capable to handle 10 bits like this case as well use the appropriate cables and straight connections then the controller, driver, and OS will determine what configuration to use for color depth, there could customizations performed by the system manufacturer that might cause not to get this, however, we can not assure you that it will work since it has not been tested yet but theoretically it should.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello AHumm2,

Thank you for the update.

We appreciate you took the time to look for further options, the feature in the built-in display laptop is not going to change the behavior of the 10 color depth on your external monitor.

In this case, we recommend you we recommend keeping an eye on the coming releases of the Intel Graphics Command Center.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos