Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

Violent Screen Flickering

PChok1
Beginner

So this started happening a few months ago on my HP Stream 11 laptop and I have not been able to find a solution. My Square Trade extended warranty is about to expire and I would like to use it if this is a hardware problem, otherwise fix it if it is software, driver or setting related. The Problem: On any browser, if I am streaming content "and only when hardware acceleration is turned on", the entire laptop's screen will intermittently start flickering/flashing, not just the browser but the entire screen. The screen will work fine for a while, then the flickering will start. Turning off hardware acceleration and restarting the browser fixes the problem. Unfortunately turning off hardware acceleration makes streaming video unwatchable because the video then stutters and lags. The Video driver and Graphics Control Panel from HP are current, as well as all Windows drivers and updates. Here is the exact problem as shown in the video I made here:

https://youtu.be/snlB186EcpM https://youtu.be/snlB186EcpM

The display program that was included with the laptop is:

Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

NOTE: See attached files for all requested technical information.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

See Description above with Video.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP Stream 11 (11-r010nr)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?<p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit...
0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello pjc123,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities. I understand you are facing troubles with the system while streaming video online.

We can check on this for sure to find a possible solution for this matter or the source of the problem.

Let's test the system with the latest generic graphics driver from Intel to see how it behaves:

This is the driver to be used: http://intel.ly/2wo6Gx8 http://intel.ly/2wo6Gx8

If you have troubles installing it, please follow these steps (attached as well):

1. Extract the .zip file downloaded2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters (double-click on it, you should be able to see an Intel(R) HD Graphics adapter or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")3. Right-click and select update driver for Intel HD Graphics<br style="text-align: left; color: # 3d3d3d; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spac...

0 Kudos
PChok1
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply Esteban,

I have installed the driver and since the problem is intermittent I will test streaming over the next few days.

Pete.

0 Kudos
PChok1
Beginner

In less than than an hour the flickering started, so the driver did not help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am sorry to hear about that, pjc123

Let me get some tests done and get back to you.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
PChok1
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

pjc123

Due to security, I have been using another website to perform the tests related to this matter.

What I did was:
  • Get a system very similar to yours
  • Update to the latest graphics driver
  • Made sure Chrome had hardware acceleration enabled
  • Test the video streaming website for a while

At this point, I haven't been able to get the problem reproduced with this other website which is similar to the one you are using (a video streaming website).

This is the website used: https://go.twitch.tv/ https://go.twitch.tv/

This is the hardware used for the test:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Processor

GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Driver: 4703

I know you have a Celeron(R) based system, that system is the nearest configuration available as of now.

Please let me know if you have been able to test that other website to see if the problem is present or not. If further details about the test are to be changed or there is something you would like to add, feel free to do so.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
PChok1
Beginner

Thanks, will let it run and report back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sounds, perfect, thank you for letting me know.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
PChok1
Beginner

I have been running videos from twitch for the last few days, 8 hours a day continuously, and there has been no flickering at all. I chose only videos that download at the highest resolution to fully stress test things (1080p @ 60). I then tested Xfinity again afterwards and the flickering started within 15 minutes. Something I came across from the Xfinity forum is that it appears that Xfinity uses Flash to present their streaming content, so that might be part of the problem. I have Adobe tech support looking into this as well.

EDIT: I was going to try Xfinity with Firefox for the heck of it and I see indeed it asks to install Adobe Flash. I am not going to bother because it will be yet another installation of the horrible Flash product that I will have to maintain.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for reporting back, pjc123

Please let us know which are the recommendations or the answer provided by Adobe support team once available.

I will further investigate this scenario and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pjc123

A new driver 4835 was released some days ago, and it would be good to test it with your system to check how it behaves related to the problem faced.

Please get it installed and report back.

This is the download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27267/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?wapkw=15.40.36.4703 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

If you face troubles while installing the driver, please use the .zip version and install it manually with these steps (screenshots attached as well):

1. Extract the .zip file downloaded (to an empty folder)

2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters (double click on it, you should be able to see an Intel(R) HD Graphics adapter or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

3. Right click and select update driver for Intel HD Graphics

4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

6. Click on "Have Disk" and find the extracted folder of the driver downloaded

7. Go to "Graphics" folder within driver folder and select the **igdlh64.inf** file and hit open then ok

8. Select Intel HD Graphics XXX under "model" and hit next

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
PChok1
Beginner

Thanks for all your help, but due to an unrelated problem where the puny 32GB drive can no longer fit Windows Updates anymore (With every cleaning method used and services disabled to make space) I was forced to replace Windows with Linux Mint Mate 18.3. I no longer have the flickering problem and videos no longer have occasional buffering issues. You can close this thread.

0 Kudos