Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20705 Discussions

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!

JWese
Beginner

Hey ho,

Two weeks ago i'v re installed my computer. Before one week i re-installed Battlefield 4 and i startet playing. I noticed a error message that told me that there is not enough memory is available. I'v never had this error before. After 2 weeks of testing and finding the problem i noticed that everytime i run a game at another resolution than my desktop resolution my virtual memory is linea filling up to 100%. After it reaches the 100% mark, the Windows Error message shows up and it wants me to close the game that i'm playing. If i run the game at the same resolution than the desktop resolution or in windowed mod this doesnt happen. If i switch back to the desktop, the virtuel memory is will be cleared again.

What i'v already tried:

• Re-installed DirectX
  • Repaire Visual Studio 2013
  • Cleaned and re-installed Nvidia and Intel HD drivers
  • Used a old version of Nvidia drivers
  • Used a old version of Intel HD drivers
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Intel chipset drivers and sata
  • Different amounts of virtual memory
  • Moved the virtual memory from sdd to hdd
  • Checkdisc
  • Re-installed the games
  • Checked memory usage and programms
  • De-installed Avira AntiVir
  • Re-installed Windows 8.1

My system

• Intel i7-3610QM
  • 8,00 GB - 1600MHz
  • 120 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Nvidia Geforce GT650M - 2 G
  • Intel HD 4000 - 256 MB
  • Asus N76VZ Notebook
  • Virtual memory on SSD 8 GB to 16 GB
  • Windows 8.1 64x
  • Avira AntiVir
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Here is the latest forum post from Microsoft* regarding this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/error-when-running-games-your-computer-is-low-on/eb9ea944-bc56-435a-b89f-f7752d11a091 Error when running games: "Your computer is low on memory. - Microsoft Community

Per Jonas:

Solution:

1. Right-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
94 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

We have replicated the issue and are currently working for the root cause. I will post updates to this thread when we have a resolution for the issue.

Robert

0 Kudos
IRoga
Beginner

Is there any progress on the fix? I have MSI GT60 OD with Nvidia 780M and optimus and im still unable to use any DX11 application/game in fullscreen mode without memory leak. It happens only with DX11 games, DX9 works fine. I have installed windows 7 just to see if its not some kind of hardware problem, and everything is ok. Something is wrong with optimus while using win 8.1 and DX11 applications in fullscreen exclusive mode. VSYNC is also unusable with DX11 games due to massive stutter (it doesn't happen if game has DX9 mode).

Please guys fix it, im unable to enjoy my laptop and lots of features are not available for windows 7

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

We have a preliminary root cause and are working towards a resolution.

Robert

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

Any news about the correction of this bug?

0 Kudos
JDani8
Beginner

Please give us an update! Many of us have been battling this issue for months.

Any idea of when we might see a fix? I have no idea how long things like this usually take.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Sorry for the delay I am checking with development for updates.

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

I have an Intel HD Graphics 2500 (3rd generation i3-3220). I have the same problem... so I also have to say please give an update as soon as possible because I like Windows 8.1 AND games and this is going on my nerves.

0 Kudos
JDani8
Beginner

If you've got Intel HD Graphics 2500, you can probably install the Windows 8 Intel drivers. I've read that works for anything up to and including Intel HD Graphics 4000. Anything later than that either doesn't have Windows 8 drivers, or the drivers simply don't solve the problem. You may have to give up some features, but it probably won't be anything noticeable.

I haven't able to test this temporary solution myself since my computer is running Intel HD Graphics 4600. Let me know if it helps you.

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

Didn't help, not my case. Thanks for the suggestion though. And please guys any update on anything? I really can't wait to start enjoying new Windows 8.1. By the way, latest update (3496) isn't multilanguage, instead it's in English.

0 Kudos
ETayl
Beginner

@xtridgaf-

If driver 2875, 2884 or 3107 does not solve your issue that I would suspect that you are having a different issue than described in this thread.

The issue described in this thread does not exist under the three drivers that I listed.

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

hi kevin,

so, how long does it take to "check with development for updates" ?

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

2875? 2884? 3107? I have an Intel HD Graphics 2500, my driver is 3496, and the problem DOES exist under 3496. And yeah, how long does it take to check on updates? Honestly I'm getting tired of waiting, 5 months has been since Windows 8.1's release and this problem was NEVER solved.

0 Kudos
ETayl
Beginner

@xtridgaf-

The suggestion to you in post # 29 was use older drivers (2875, 2884, and/or 3107).

Because you use HD 2500 you can avoid this issue until it is fixed by using an older driver. 2875, 2884 and 3107 are all drivers that you should be able to use without seeing the issue describe here. What I would give for the ability to use an older driver, but alas I am at HD 4600 graphics and there are no older drivers for it.

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. However I can't seem to find those drivers by browsing them because they're oudated business. Do you know where I can find them? 3107 would be good. All I've got is v15.28.4.64.2843 but that only supports Windows 7 and Windows 8. -.-

0 Kudos
ETayl
Beginner

All of the drivers I mention are windows 7 and windows 8 drivers. They do work under 8.1 as well. I used softpedia.com to search for Intel Graphics and got them from there. Heck, 2843 is in the same ballpark, I would start with that one first.

0 Kudos
MHega1
Beginner

So how Is Things Goes On, Any New Information About This Bug

0 Kudos
MMISS25
Beginner

I enabled windows 8 compatibility to avoid the issue, but it has drawbacks:

1. Graphics performance reduces

2. I get a cursor issue sometimes

0 Kudos
JDani8
Beginner

I've had cursor issues as well, most notably while trying to play Diablo III. The cursor just disappears. You can bring it back if you go to fullscreen windowed mode, but if that can introduce some other issues, especially if you're on a high resolution display

I've had some other issues with Diablo as well. It seems as if there were a Diablo patch, a Windows Update, and a Nvidia driver update all on the same day a few months ago, and now Diablo III can't run on dedicated graphics on some systems. This, however, seems to be an entirely different issue from what this thread is about, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

0 Kudos
MMISS25
Beginner

My cursor issue is different though, the in my case, both the game's cursor and the usual cursor appears, but only the usual cursor moves. Alt-tabbing out and back solves that temporarily and it happens when the screen goes off and on, mostly during loading a level and quitting from it.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay on coming back to provide information.

We have confirmed internally with Microsoft that this problem you are experimenting is caused by an Operating System bug and it is not related to our graphics driver.

You can refer to the following document for more information:

/docs/DOC-22579 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22579

0 Kudos
MMISS25
Beginner

It was about time, now it looks like we have to set our eyes on Microsoft for the fix.

0 Kudos