Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20704 Discussions

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!

JWese
Beginner

Hey ho,

Two weeks ago i'v re installed my computer. Before one week i re-installed Battlefield 4 and i startet playing. I noticed a error message that told me that there is not enough memory is available. I'v never had this error before. After 2 weeks of testing and finding the problem i noticed that everytime i run a game at another resolution than my desktop resolution my virtual memory is linea filling up to 100%. After it reaches the 100% mark, the Windows Error message shows up and it wants me to close the game that i'm playing. If i run the game at the same resolution than the desktop resolution or in windowed mod this doesnt happen. If i switch back to the desktop, the virtuel memory is will be cleared again.

What i'v already tried:

• Re-installed DirectX
  • Repaire Visual Studio 2013
  • Cleaned and re-installed Nvidia and Intel HD drivers
  • Used a old version of Nvidia drivers
  • Used a old version of Intel HD drivers
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Intel chipset drivers and sata
  • Different amounts of virtual memory
  • Moved the virtual memory from sdd to hdd
  • Checkdisc
  • Re-installed the games
  • Checked memory usage and programms
  • De-installed Avira AntiVir
  • Re-installed Windows 8.1

My system

• Intel i7-3610QM
  • 8,00 GB - 1600MHz
  • 120 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Nvidia Geforce GT650M - 2 G
  • Intel HD 4000 - 256 MB
  • Asus N76VZ Notebook
  • Virtual memory on SSD 8 GB to 16 GB
  • Windows 8.1 64x
  • Avira AntiVir
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Here is the latest forum post from Microsoft* regarding this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/error-when-running-games-your-computer-is-low-on/eb9ea944-bc56-435a-b89f-f7752d11a091 Error when running games: "Your computer is low on memory. - Microsoft Community

Per Jonas:

Solution:

1. Right-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
94 Replies
JHend10
Beginner

All I did was just updating Windows 8.1 with Windows Update. Then it was fixed after I installed the August 2014 rollup (KB2975719). Try that first!

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

As I said in two earlier posts, I already tried Windows Update. It said, and still says, my system is up to date. My update history shows that I've had KB2975719 installed since 8/13.

0 Kudos
RHoga3
Beginner

Is there any progress from Intel on this matter? I'm unable to install the hotfix (due to it "not being applicable"), and really don't want to resort to reinstalling windows! I would say this is a pretty massive issue considering pretty much every laptop under the sun these days has a combination of intel + nvidia/amd gpus!

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We do not have an ETA but we are still checking and investigating. Sorry for the delay.

0 Kudos
JHend10
Beginner

I am also going to test again tonight. But the problem should be gone after your Windows 8.1 is up to date. Check Windows Update for new available updates.

I will try to reply again within 48 hours with an updated solution.

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

In case anyone's wondering, this bug's still not fixed. I have to reboot my laptop every couple days. Ever since I installed Windows 8.1, so it's been almost a year! Unbelievable.

And again, Windows Update does not fix it.

0 Kudos
APalo4
Beginner

This is pretty ridiculous this issue has existed since 8.1 was released and there are now 20 pages on the microsoft forums about the issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8?page=19&tm=1402544332449&rtAction=1402544357341 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8?page=19&tm=1402544332449&rtAction=1402544357341

A lot of people talking about who's responsible. Honestly it doesn't matter. Microsoft and Intel are huge companies. It honestly doesn't matter who is responsible. People need to stop pointing fingers, work together and get this fixed. Changing your desktop resolutions for a specific application is just silly.

0 Kudos
DAchu
Beginner

I reluantly upgraded to Windows 8.1 because AMD dropped support for windows 8. The truth is windows 8 is better for gaming than 8.1. I also started experiencing the pagefile spike when playing games in fullscreen. I've tried everything, even installed my original drivers but it keeps re-occurring. Before 8.1 my Windows Experience Index was 7.2, 7.9, 6.7, 6.7, 5.9 (6.7s being for gaming) but now its 7.4, 7.5, 5.9, 5.7, 5.9. My system specs are

Intel Core i5-3230M

8GB RAM

Radeon HD 7670M + Intel HD 4000

Windows 8.1

I tried the latests windows update and Intel graphics driver update but to no avail. Windows 8.1 is a mess. And I don't advise any gamer to upgrade cos its not worth the headache.

Intel should release a driver update to minimize this frustrating issue.

The only temporary solution is to run the game on the same resolution as ur desktop. Although it doesn't work for all games cos I still experience it even after doing that when playing Assassins Creed 3.

I hope this is resolved fast cos its six months now and still no solution

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

It looks to me, tentatively, like this may have been fixed by some update around two weeks ago. Stay tuned.

0 Kudos
RHoga3
Beginner

I would be very interested to hear about your findings! in Windows Updates, two new optional updates have appeared for me; a new Intel graphics driver and the "November 2014 update rollout" which mentions some memory leak fixes but nothing specific to graphics... I'm not getting my hopes up though!

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

Looks to me like it's fixed. None of these crashes in about three weeks, after the last (or second last) batch of Windows Updates. Before that I was needing to reboot 2-3 times a week. If anyone has details, do tell.

0 Kudos