Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

VirtualMEC 3D CAD problems

JGree16
Beginner

Hello,

I recently bought a new HP notebook with integrated Intel HD 4600 graphic card.

VirtualMEC, one of my favourite programs, is not working properly.

It's a 3D CAD application for Meccano models building and is based on OpenGL.

I'm having several problems: trying to select parts always ends up with a wrong selection, inserting a bolt in a hole is almost impossible, if a model is made of many parts the program is slow as hell.

With my previous computers and nVidia graphic cards I never had problems at all.

If you want, you can download a demo version from their official website here http://www.virtualmec.com/content/download_demo.aspx http://www.virtualmec.com/content/download_demo.aspx

Here http://www.virtualmec.com/content/models.aspx http://www.virtualmec.com/content/models.aspx you can download models to make some testing.

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thank you.

j.g.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi j.g,

At this point, I recommend you installing the latest graphics driver from our side. It can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&ProdId=3720&LineId=1100&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&ProdId=3720&LineId=1100&FamilyId=39

I also recommend you checking with the software manufacturer for the openGL functions. It is important to say that is difficult to compare a discrete graphics card that has separate resources from the system with the Intel HD graphics controller that uses system resources and all components are inside the processor.

0 Kudos
JGree16
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

thank you for your prompt reply.

I already asked for support to the VirtualMEC Team some days ago. They also recommended to download the latest Intel drivers and that's what I did before writing here in the forum. My driver version is 10.18.10.3345.

VirtualMEC Team also told me the program is based on version 1.0 of OpenGL and no particular function or library extension is used. They were also able to test the program on a desktop pc equipped with a very basic Intel Graphics card with no issues.

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.40GHz and I really thought I would have no problems to use a program like this. When you say "it is difficult to compare a discrete graphics card [...] with the Intel HD graphics controller that uses system resources and all components are inside the processor", it seems to me you are talking about severe limitations that your drivers will never be able to fix, am I right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

j.g.

0 Kudos
JGree16
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

just to let me know, do I have any chance your are going to investigate these driver/performance related issues?

Thank you in advance.

j.g.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi j.g.

Of course I will do my best to help you with this. I would like to get some more information about your system. Can you please post your dxdiag report here?

0 Kudos
JGree16
Beginner

Dear Kevin,

thank you for your support.

Currently, I can send you a dxdiag file from another HP notebook which, in addition to the Intel HD4600, is also equipped with a nVidia GeForce GT 740M.

Even with this pc I am not able to use VirtualMEC with HD4600. Switching to nVidia everything works fine.

Best regards.

j.g.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I have tested this software on a DZ87KLT-75K board with the processor i5-4670K (HD 4600) and it was working just fine for me. It is also important to say that I tested several models you provided before and I was not able to replicate the issue.

My recommendation at this point since you have updated the bios and drivers in your unit is to contact the computer manufacturer to confirm with them any other troubleshooting step or contacting the software developer for any solution to this issue.

Find attached the dxdiag report from the system I use.

0 Kudos
JGree16
Beginner

Dear Kevin,

could you make a simple test for me?

Launch VirtualMEC, open the "Scooter Complete.mdl" file you find in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualMEC 2.1".

Rotate the model in the same position as the attached image and try to select (left click) the yellow part indicated by the red arrow.

What happens to me is that the blue part, below the yellow one, is selected.

Does it work for you instead?

Also, it seems to me you are testing the program on a desktop computer; could you test it on a notebook pc as well?

I ask this because I am in contact with other VirtualMEC users who are experiencing the same issues on their notebooks with different integrated Intel graphic cards (i.e. HD4000).

Thank you in advance.

j.g.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi j.g,

At this point I was able to test this with a Toshiba Laptop with Intel® HD Graphics 3000 only. It was working fine for me also. Check the image below:

That is the image with the same position you asked and in fact the yellow part is being selected and not the blue one. In the HD 4600 (the desktop) also is working fine for me. You can find attached the dxdiag report of the laptop I used.

At this point since we have being trying to replicate the issue without success, I recommend you contacting the software manufacturer to confirm with them if there is any newer version of the software or patch.

0 Kudos
JGree16
Beginner

Dear Kevin,

thank you for your feedback.

Good to know it is working on HD3000.

Anyway, on my 2 notebooks (one with HD4000 only, the other with HD4600 + nVidia), and on other customers' notebooks with HD4000 or better, it's not working as expected.

It's working for me only if I switch to nVidia.

I think you should definitely try it on a notebook equipped at least with an HD4000, just to dispel all doubts.

Thank you so much for your support.

j.g.

0 Kudos