Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20942 Discussions

WPF Application high GPU usage on Iris Xe GPU

Limmm
Beginner
Hello,

I noticed an issue using a .Net Framework WPF Application on Intel Iris Xe.

If the application, which comes with some WPF-specific attributes, is running on a computer with an Iris Xe graphics driver,the GPU usage will be high. Now the driver version is 31.0.101.5084.

2.png

I tested different computers. This problem occurs when the computer graphics card driver is Intel Iris Xe , but is normal on UHD.

I'm not sure if this is an Intel issue or a WPF issue, so I also posted a issue to the wpf community asking for help (https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/8686). But given that the same code runs fine on UHD, this seems more relevant to Intel Iris Xe.

Is this a known problem? Or is it Intel's problem? What else do I need to try ?

Attached is the test exe.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to help you solve the problem (WPF Application high GPU usage on Iris Xe GPU). Also, feel free to include additional information you may find relevant that can help us diagnose and identify the issue. 

To better assist you, we would like to ask for the following details:

1. What is the specific name of the application that you are using?
  2. What are the other actions that you performed to resolve the issue?

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html)

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
  1. My application name in this demo is 'MediaElement',it is included in the attachment 'demo.7z'.
  2. I can nearly do nothing to solve this issue.
  3. I saved the SSU report, which named 'ssuInfo.txt' in the attachment.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

Thank you for your response. We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

After carefully looking into the issue, I have done some research and found some possible solutions for you. You may perform a clean install of the graphics driver: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html)

Just to share with you, we have our support link where you can find all of the necessary troubleshooting steps that we’re going to perform. To make it easier for you, here’s our support link: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091441/graphics.html). Do let us know if you need assistance with the following.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm going to install the latest version of the graphics driver, which will take some time.

But the support link (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091441/graphics.html) is for October 2023, the original graphics driver version on my computer is 31.0.101.5084, which is the latest version as of January 10, 2024, I'm not sure if installing the new version will work.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner

Hi,

I tried to install the latest version of the driver (31.0.101.5085) directly from the download center, as well as completely uninstall and reinstall it with DDU. Unfortunately, this issue still exists.

It seems that my issue is not the same as the issue in the link. This issue may require further analysis on your part.

Looking forward to your reply, thanks.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

Thanks for your reply. We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner

Hi,

I am glad for your positive response to this issue.

Is there any direction for the solution now? Or can you continue to inform the progress of the problem resolution and the expected time point of resolution ?

The issue has been bothering me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

Thank you for waiting and for your response based on our last thread. We have received an update from our team. Upon coordinating, we have several observations that we would like to ask and share with you. To help us resolve the issue more effectively and provide you with a precise answer, we need some additional information that can help us identify and isolate the problem:

• What is the brand and model of your computer? As per checking the logs, you're using an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) computer.
  • Did you try updating the graphics driver from your OEM? If not, install the latest OEM graphics driver. Please be reminded that OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. The generic Intel driver provides users with the latest and greatest feature enhancements and bug fixes that OEMs may not have customized to address platform-specific needs.
  • What is the brand, model, and processor of the other system that works fine?
  • When did you first encounter the issue?
  • Did the issue occur before?
  • Did you make any changes to your system before the issue occurred?

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day ahead!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner
Hi,

Thank you for your analysis. Could you share with us your team's new findings?

Here are my answers to these questions:
  1. Our computers are self-assembled and have no brand information, the processor information of the computer is: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H.
  2. The graphics card driver was downloaded directly from Intel's official website without any other processing. The version of the graphics card driver has been provided in my previous reply and updated to the latest version.
  3. The computer which works fine is also self-assembled,the processor information of the computer is: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12450H.
  4. The problem first appeared in September 2023, when the computer was not available for analysis, and in January 2024, we performed the analysis on a computer with the same configuration.
  5. I didn't make any changes and the problem persisted after rebooting the system.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

Thank you for answering the questions that will help us to fix the issue. Upon the analysis, we noticed that the latest version of the driver that you've installed is not the exact driver that fits on the processor. 

You may try again to perform the clean installation of the graphics driver: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html) and kindly use this version 31.0.101.5186_101.5234 WHQL Certified (Latest - 1/24/2024) - (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html).

Moreover, since you are using an OEM device, please be advised that the generic Intel driver provides the latest and greatest feature enhancements and bug fixes that computer manufacturers (OEMs) might not have customized yet. OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific needs. Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite your handpicked OEM graphics driver. Users can check for matching OEM driver versions at OEM websites. For more information on how the installation of this driver may impact your OEM customizations, see this article: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000096252/graphics.html).

Please let us know if these steps resolve the issue or if you encounter any difficulties along the way.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to install the latest version of the graphics driver and the problem still persists.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

Thank you for informing us. I have conducted some research on my end, and I have noticed that you already installed the latest driver for Intel Iris Xe Graphics (For MT_INTGLH_HB71-System Model, Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz) when running on a system with an Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver, the GPU usage will be high. I also noticed that you are using an OEM manufacturer device. Since this is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), please be advised that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed on your system. 

At this rate, we would recommend checking with your computer manufacturer: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers) and using the driver software, to avoid potential installation compatibilities that may result in system incompatibilities. Also, please be guided that Intel® only supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the driver software or software packaging.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or clarifications.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

I hope you are doing fine. Were you able to check the previous post?

Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Limmm
Beginner

Hi.

Thank you for your reply, but it was of little help to me.

I asked IPS for help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Limmm.

We hope that your system manufacturer, or IPS, will provide the solution or assistance that you need. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos