Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

What to do with my A380

lostcowboy
Beginner

I bought an A380 a while back for the original purpose of doing a small DIY NAS. I had planned on using Unraid as I know basically Zero about Linux. But my current understanding is the A380 requires a Linus kernel of 6.2+ or you have to install some type of "out-of-tree" driver.

See Client GPU Installation, But they only show using Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar) or Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 (Jammy) LTS. They don't talk about any other Linus'es, or how to set up docker to use the GPU. They don't talk about Unraid or TrueNAS either. So I am thinking of using my old GTX 1060 for the NAS instead.

Which brings me to what to do with this Intel A380 card. My main motherboard is an X570 Phantom Gaming 4, with an RTX 2080 Ti in the primary PCIe slot. My secondary PCIe slot is a mechanical 16 but only an electrical 4-lane slot. If I put the A380 in there will it run is my first question? I only ever planned to use it for encoding videos, no gaming on the card.

The second question, is I have heard that people are having problems with Windows making the A380 the primary performance GPU even though it is in the secondary slot, with no way to correct that. I definitely want my RTX 2080 to remain the performance GPU.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Double posting is not allowed.   Stay with your original post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
lostcowboy
Beginner

cool, I thought I posted in the wrong section The first time. won't happen again.

0 Kudos
lostcowboy
Beginner

Ok, because I could not delete the other one. I just edited it so everyone will know it was in error.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lostcowboy,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics.

In this case, I would like to let you know that the Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics are compatible with the Ubuntu operating system. You can check the supported operating systems, the PCI requirements, and more details about the Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics in the following link.

Desktop Quick Start Guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html

Also, the Arc™ A-Series Graphics support the Multi-GPU configuration, I recommend you to check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm the installation limitations of the PCI slots and with Microsoft in case there is any issue with Windows.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lostcowboy, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lostcowboy, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos