Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20896 Discussions

When does Power Settings in Intel Graphics come into play?

NawalKavi
Beginner

I've been looking through Intel Graphics Command Centre because I realised that my laptop has Adaptive Sync, so I went and found how to enable it, except that turns out it was already enabled. Then I decided to look through everything else that was in there, and I found Power Settings under System -> Power. 

There's a slider for Power Efficiency, and it says that the higher the number, the lower the graphics quality. Naturally, I would like the best graphics quality possible, but I'm confused as to whether the Power Settings will apply only if the laptop is running on battery power, because then it would make sense to have the best efficiency so as to get the best battery life. However, if it's while the laptop is plugged in, then I will re-adjust the slider, because it doesn't make sense to have a worse graphics quality while connected to the mains.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @NawalKavi

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. Thank you for your questions.

Just to clarify, what you would like to have is different power settings set for when the laptop is on battery and when plugged in, correct?

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
NawalKavi
Beginner

Hey @Carlos_L_Intel,

Yes, you're spot on, I'd like to do exactly that.

Regards, 
Nawal

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @NawalKavi,

Thank you for your post. In this case, I would like you to please follow this:

• From the Windows Start Menu, search for the Intel Graphics Command Center. Double-click the Intel® Graphics Command Center icon to open the application.
  • Click System in the left navigational menu.
  • In the Power tab, you should be able to see "On Battery" and "Plugged In"
  • In each of the tabs, you can select the power plan you prefer (Maximum Performance, Balanced Mode, or Maximum Battery Life). 

Let me know if it works for you.

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
NawalKavi
Beginner

Hello @Carlos_L_Intel,

Thanks for the suggestion, Carlos, but unfortunately, I do not have any such options after going to System > Power.
What I do have will be attached to this. 

Also, the thing I really want to know is about the graphics quality setting, because I would like to know if that one setting applies while being both on battery and connected to battery, because I would like to have the best possible graphics when on power, and the most efficient battery usage when on battery.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @NawalKavi,

Thank you for testing. I see, I might need to take a look at this. Please provide me some time to check this internally and I will post back with more information. 

As for your question. Yes, I believe if you only have one power plan it will affect both on battery and plugged in.

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @NawalKavi,

Thank you for your time. Since you only have one power plan in you operating system, our recommendation is to contact Microsoft or the laptop manufacturer to check if it is possible to add another power plan, so you can use it when needed. Is there any other question, or would you like us to close this thread? 

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
NawalKavi
Beginner

Thank you, @Carlos_L_Intel, for the help, you can close this thread now.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @NawalKavi,

It has been a pleasure, thank you for your help as well. For now, I will close this thread. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. I appreciate your understanding.

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos