Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?

idata
Employee

I seached within Intel Support and what I got were Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller drivers for MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller

Microsoft Windows 8 was released yesterday, October 26 and where is the compatible driver for it?

Could an Intel technical support representative feedback to technical support about this problem?

253 Replies
idata
Employee

I wouldn't, and as yet have not because the fixes don't work as far as I can tell. The things mentioned in the posts of today and yesterday are just for being able to download W8 via a USB 3 and have nothing to do with making your USB 3's working after installing W8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The drivers I compressed are used are for windows 8 64bit usb 3. You need to disable driver signature. After you install the extensible host reboot disable driver signature again and install the usb 3 hub.

Worked fine for me and it got my docking station to work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just spoke to a Dell Customer Service Rep and he said that after I install Windows 8, I should call them back or go on their dell support page and download/install the correct driver for usb 3.0...

There is no intel usb3.0 driver on the dell page. Do you think he is full of it and doesnt know what hes talk about?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So what I'm gathering is that if I just put together a new computer using a DH77EB board and I installed Windows 8 on it, there is no way to get USB 3.0 working? I find that very hard to believe...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dont know if this will help but I added some pics:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How did you get the root hub? Will that enable 3.0 on my computer?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello i am a happy owner of Lenovo laptop (y580), i got problems with usb 3. too, but it depends. For example it works time to time. Once when i boot my laptop my hard disk work with usb 3.0 (samsung portable s2, if blink via green led - usb 2.0, if blink via blue led - work in full speed, usb 3.0), but after next boot (turn off pc, and turn on again few hours later etc.) my disk doesn't work with usb 3.0.

One day i have usb 3.0, but next day i get 2.0... wrrr

I have windows 8 64 bit... it is very annoying. Question to carminus, how did You intall drivers? they are universal? for all kind of devices? or specific for dell? Could You link me a tutorial? guide? any info about this?

Best regards, I hope it will be fixed as soon as possible.

Ps. My friend got same problem too with usb 3.0 pendrive.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I found a solution that does not require unsigned drivers. It has fixed my problem, I hope it may work for other people too.

Short version:

Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025 - At first I had trouble installing it, but using device manager you can manually update the Intel chipset and USB drivers one by one and point it to the folder with the downloaded inf/driver files. (Try running the setup.exe first, it might work for you)

If you have an intel brand motherboard I believe you can just use this - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22091 Download Center

I had to get the inf/driver files from my motherboard manufacturer's website (Check your motherboard manufacturer's site. Here is where I got mine - http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win864&Model=B75%20Pro3-M ASRock > B75 Pro3-M )

Long version:

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (64 bit) my USB 3.0 ports would only operate as USB 2 ports - at slow speed and Windows would say "device can perform faster if connected to USB 3"

I did attempt to install all the relevant Windows 8 64 bit drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's website. A couple of them did not install and gave me error messages - I assumed they were not compatible with my machine.

I complained to Microsoft support about the USB problem and they suggested I install drivers from the motherboard manufacturer. So I thought I will try installing them again. The one that gave me an error was listed as INF, Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025. When I tried to run setup.exe it said "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for updating the software". The readme had instructions for doing it manually through device manager but it did not correspond to the names of my devices.

So I went through all the System Devices and Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the list and updated all of them that mentioned Intel, chipset or USB, directing it to use the INF/driver files from the downloaded Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025.

Right click, click 'update driver' and select 'browse my computer for driver software' then select the folder where you have downloaded the INF or driver files, the drivers for Windows 8 were in the 'Win7' folder according to the readme file.

Now my devices work at full USB 3.0 speed and are correctly reported as connected to USB 3.0

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Derren, I managed to get the Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025 from the Clevo website (specifically for my model). It contains looooads of different inf files though, which do I use to update the intel USB hub entries in device manager?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did not have to select individual files, just the folder that they were in. I selected the folder "WIN7" from the downloaded files. Windows was able to find the relevant driver for each thing that needed updating. Tick "include subfolders" if necessary.

I updated anything with the words Intel, chipset or usb, under 'system devices' and 'universal serial bus controllers'. If I remember correctly the Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller did not actually need an update (it said it was already up to date) but some of the other host controllers and chipset drivers did install.

Message was edited by: Derren Green&# 13; &# 13; Added note to select Win7 folder

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It simply works! Thanks

I run the setup and restarted the pc. After a brief control, I noticed an update. With usb3 transfer, 250 MB/s

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So all you did was update the chipset drivers to Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025 from 9.3.0.1024?

0 Kudos
HPark17
Beginner

I don't think that solves anything. The problem is that we need an updated driver for "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)" from Intel themselves because they are the hardware creator. I also have the latest chipset driver update, and have same version as yours shown in your screen capture. I don't get USB 3.0 speed. I get 31.8MB/s reading from a 1TB USB 3.0 WD Passport to a internal SSD. Make sure you are reading from the USB device, possibly a huge file, so that caching doesn't effect the display speed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Agree. And until there's an updated driver that W8 assistant says is compatible and shows as such, I will not be upgrading W7 to W8. Does anyone out there have a new pc with W8 and USB 3's that are actually giving USB 3 speeds. I presently (on W7), get >175MB/s on my external USB3 backup hardrive..

0 Kudos
MQuin15
Beginner

Windows 7

Windows 8

This is the same Western Digital USB 3.0 drive

0 Kudos
HPark17
Beginner

Hey tw33k,

For your Windows 8 benchmark, are you using the intel USB drivers from Windows 7 with driver signature verification turned off in Windows?

It really sucks that there's no proper intel USB 3.0 driver for Windows 8 yet. I thought Windows 8 was going to support USB 3.0 natively without any additional USB drivers, but I guess that's not the case for these intel chipset motherboards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"I thought Windows 8 was going to support USB 3.0 natively without any additional USB drivers"

Its hard to believe that hardware that comes on Ivy Bridge systems is incompatible with Windows 8 without them knowing this ahead of time. Personally I think they were well aware of this, how could they not be. Its not like this is some off brand printer from 1998, this is new hardware that comes on all new Intel systems.

Personally I think in an effort to give Thunderbolt a shove Intel is abandoning USB 3.0 earlier than market forces otherwise demand.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi hp79,

Did you try going through device manager and manually updating the intel chipset drivers and USB controllers using the INF driver files from Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025 ?

I am using the Microsoft-provided Windows 8 64 bit driver for the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. I have not used any user-modified driver files. Previously I could only get 34MB/s transfer rates and USB 3 devices were reported as if they were connected via usb2. After applying the INF driver files from Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.3.0.1025 I get speeds of about 90 MB/s when transferring files from my Hitachi Touro USB 3.0 portable external drive to my internal SSD.

Here is a screenshot:

So it seems that the Microsoft-provided driver is capable of functioning correctly, the problem may be with the other Intel USB or chipset drivers that need the latest INF/driver updates.

edit: Here is the benchmark using my Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 pen drive, definitely working at full USB 3.0 speeds In Windows 8, up to 265MB/s:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't wait to get home from work and try this out. If this works you are my hero Mr. Green!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

None of these things seem to work for me. Should I give up on trying to get my 4-port hub working in 3.0 mode and just pick up a 3.0 Hub w/Win 8 compat?

I clearly see the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and the Super Speed USB HUB (Non-Functional) entries in the device mgr, just unsure why I can't get them going in 3.0 mode... Frustrating.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033870.htm Intel� USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver — Not Compatible reported when upgrading from Microsoft Windows 7* to Windows 8*

0 Kudos