Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20822 Discussions

Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?

idata
Employee

I seached within Intel Support and what I got were Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller drivers for MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller

Microsoft Windows 8 was released yesterday, October 26 and where is the compatible driver for it?

Could an Intel technical support representative feedback to technical support about this problem?

253 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Matthys - thanks for your helpful notes Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

1. Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE. NB my hard drive is only a 5400 not 7200 so this will limit my USB 3.0 speed I assume

2. Samsung M3 Portable 1TB drive

3. Here you are;

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

At those speeds shouldn't it only take about 10 minutes for 60GB not 20 minutes? I need to correct my earlier statement. It was 10-12 minutes, not 4-6. Your speeds are definitely not 2.0 though. Looks like you got it working on your system afterall.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The 60GB was made up of around 300 albums worth of audio files, in apple lossless format, not sure if that will ave affected the overall duration; the speed varied from over 100 MB/s to around 45MB/s slowest...

0 Kudos
HPark17
Beginner

That sounds about right for those files.

After installing all the softwares, my USB 3.0 port is still working well. Here are some more screenshots of the performance.

Reading from Adata usb 3.0 flash drive:

Reading from a SSD on usb 3.0 connection:

I think these are good results, and I hope they stay this way.

(tested on thinkpad x230t)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bruce, what do you show as your internal transfer speeds? Of course, I am asking about internal hard drive to internal hard drive. Even when I was testing the Intel Smart Response Technology, my USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 speeds remained at 125 MB/s, while the internal transfer rates dropped to 14 MB/s due to a bad SSD.

It might be noted that David Lessnau and I have the same motherboard (ASUS P8Z77). His is operating at 2.0 speeds and mine at 3.0 speeds.... If you could find his problem, you might find yours.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bruce, what do you show as your internal transfer speeds?

I have 2 Force GS SSDs in raid 0 so the speed is a bit more than USB 3.0

Ill be doing the windows 7 test on Monday to see just how fast Intel USB 3.0 can go. I will be transferring test files and folders between this system and a new Vector SSD via USB 3.0 adapter.

Keep in mind that my problem was different than what you guys are talking about now. My problem was that the Windows 8 USB 3.0 drivers are non-functional in the pre-install environment and I solved this by merging the hacked Windows 7 Intel USB 3.0 drivers poster in this thread into boot.wim.

I am doing this test NOT to troubleshoot my own issue (that I solved with the help of the hacked drivers). I am doing this test to help others that feel that their Intel USB 3.0 speed under the Windows 8 generic drivers is lacking.

Once I have some free time ill install Windows 8 and do the same test on the same hardware both with the hacked drivers and again on the generic drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Whatever happened to Bruce Harrison doing tests with his new equipment? Are you ok Bruce?

0 Kudos
DLeun
Beginner

For God sake, make the official Windows 8 driver for Intel USB 3.0 chip. The one comes with Windows 8 does NOT work on most of USB 3.0 devices that is "bandwidth demanding". My Orico USB 3.0 hub would choke on file transfer. I end up using the hacked windows 7 driver to have it install on the Windows 8 http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers | Plugable and it seems OK for now, but it will make disconnected/connected USB sound from time to time for no reason. However, at least the speed is OK when it works.

So, I can tell you the problem is the drivers, most USB 3.0 device works no problem when you use the hacked windows 7 drivers. Stop telling us the device is not compatible with Windows 8 because your HACKED windows 7 drivers could make the device work in Windows 8!

0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

Here's what caught my eye on the Intel web site:

"Microsoft Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant* reports Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host

Controller Driver version 1.0.5.235 or earlier, is not compatible".

"Windows 7* system with Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.6.245

does not have this issue."

Interesting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well it aint true. I have the current driver and windows8 advisor still says it's not compatible.

0 Kudos
HPark17
Beginner

Here's another screenshot after all the lenovo drivers update (including chipset driver) and windows updates. I'm copying 11 GB file to my mSATA SSD.

79 MB/s sound about right for my WD Passport which is a 2.5" 5400rpm drive. I'm glad the speed did not drop to USB 2.0 levels. I wonder what happened previously, and why I only got around 30 MB/s. I'm using the exact same installation media, same USB port, can't imagine anything different. Anyone have any clue?

Thinkpad x230t. uefi mode win8pro x64, 8GB ram, crucial msata 128gb.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread, very helpful information.

Like many, I've been waiting for the Intel USB 3 driver for my Z77 board. My Intel USB 3 speed was slower than the Intel USB 2.

Just installed the hacked drivers and everything is working as it should.

Note for Intel, if any Intel personnel happen to read this thread:

Intel, you should be ashamed of your behavior.

The USB 3 drivers for Windows 8 are easily converted from the Windows 7 drivers, it would be easier if you would get them signed and available for us, your true customers.

Put whatever little spat you are having with Microsoft aside and treat your customers the way that we deserve.

@Bruce Harrison,

Will be interesting to see your USB 3/Windows driver test results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having trouble on Windows 8 USB 3.0 devices. My external HD (Samsung S2 Portable 3 1TB) always crash while transfering files into it.

It says "An unxepected error is prevening you from copying the file. If you keep getting this message, you could use the error code to search for help. Error 0x80070037: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

I tried changing the USB driver as you mentioned but it didn't work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I updated the modded driver with the latest from Intel:

http://www.2shared.com/file/Pmhxt-yK/win8_usb3_x64.html win8_usb3_x64.zip download - 2shared

Enjoy!

PS this is for 64bit only!

Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Using your guide I can't update the driver.

I've Win 8 64bit

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ginapelle, It is very important that you disable driver signature check. You must manually add the driver in device manager. When updating the driver use " Let me pick..." , then "have disk" also uncheck "show compatible hardware".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can try these again. I might have uploaded the wrong file.

http://www.2shared.com/file/qH8WtHEu/Win8_INTEL_USB3_x64.html DOWNLOAD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

with this updated files, now it works properly!

many thanks for the great support.

0 Kudos
TNich3
Novice

Edited post:

At first I was confused because following these instructions updated the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, but then the device that I had connected to one of my USB 3.0 ports lost connection to my computer and a new "unknown device" appeared in my device manager. I ran the installation again, but this time let the computer install the correct driver by only pointing to the folder where I had downloaded the modified Windows 7 drivers. This installed the Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub.

On my brother's computer, which has a USB 3.0 add-on card with a Renesas controller, Windows 8 automatically installed both the USB 3.0 controller and a USB 3.0 root hub, but for the native drivers for the Intel USB 3.0 controller, Windows 8 only installs drivers for the controller itself and not a root hub. Would that have anything to do with the USB 3.0 ports not working correctly, or is that just another indication that the native support for the Intel controller is incomplete?

Message was edited by: Todd Nicholson

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I followed the instructions here, and the hacked drivers are installed and reporting that they are working. However, the USB3 port now refuses to work. Plugging in an external hard drive to that port does nothing. The device powers on, but the drive is not available in Windows. I'm not sure why this isn't working, but its obvious something is incompatible. I'm running a Dell XPS 8500. I doubt I'll ever get a proper Win8 driver from Dell on this, so I'm kinda screwed. A brand new USB3 drive barely gets 30 MB/s transfer rates! This is completely unacceptable, which is why I am here.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
HSche5
Beginner

Are these for the front or rear usb ports as there are different drivers listed for each?

0 Kudos