Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20684 Discussions

Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?

idata
Employee

I seached within Intel Support and what I got were Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller drivers for MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller

Microsoft Windows 8 was released yesterday, October 26 and where is the compatible driver for it?

Could an Intel technical support representative feedback to technical support about this problem?

253 Replies
idata
Employee

Intel states:

"Windows 7* system with Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.6.245

does not have this issue."

Then why does the W8 assistant still show that this driver is not compatible?????

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Maybe we have driver problems and the two companies are resolving them.

Intel doesn't need to boycott usb3 to push Thunderbolt, the first is too well established, the second is too complicated.

Thunderbolt has a terrific power (DP, PCIe an more),but not for small drives, not for legacy hardware.

Usb3 is arrived, supported within chipset, economic.

For hp79, I did a second test and you were right, still slow transfer speeds. So, with big files it was a step further (2,6 GB single .Iso image at 250 MB/s), with smaller files (2,5 GB many .flac files at 31 MB/s) obviously not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I followed this guide: http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers/ Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers | Plugable and now all of my USB 3.0 port are working at full speed in Windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU KENDALL D. LARTIGUE. god bless

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're very welcome. I made an account for the community forums just to post that for everyone. I hope everyone else who is having the same troubles that I (and a lot of other people) had with their USB 3.0 ports not working in Windows 8 have the same success that I had.

For those who have a motherboard with the Intel eXtensible Host Controller, just follow this guide and your USB 3.0 ports should work.

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers/ Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers | Plugable

Message was edited by: Kendall D. Lartigue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ Kendall

I had a different issue in that I wanted to install Windows 8 from an Intel USB 3.0 port and the universal USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 8 do not allow this. I wrote a guide over http://forum.xbitlabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=288325# p288325 HERE detailing how to both work around the problem and how to build a Windows 8 USB 3.0 install flash drive.

I give you permission to replicate this guide if you wish.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This thread has gotten very technical, and it's supposed to be a very basic problem.

There are probably millions of "low-techy-techy" (to paraphrase bbt) users who have machines with this Intel USB 3 Host Controller and Windows 8. They all want value for their money, and that means a USB 3 port that actually works as promised without having to hack their systems.

Bottom line is, INTEL must release Windows 8 drivers for their "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bottom line is, INTEL must release Windows 8 drivers for their "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller".

And work with MS on creating a better universal USB 3.0 driver so MS can release this as an update. That is the best option as then no one needs to go looking for the fix, it just automatically happens.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tried to take this up with Intel directly, their response was laughable to put it lightly:

See our live chat below:

Intel:You are now chatting with 'Venu Gopal'Guest:Why does my laptop pre-loaded with Win 8 and using your Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller does NOT achieve USB 3 speeds??Venu GopalHello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Chat Support service. We are glad to be of service. How may I help you?Venu GopalI am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.Guest:I'm, using a USB 3Venu GopalBefore we proceed, I would request you to provide the following information for our records: 1. Name(First and Last) 2. Email Address 3. Contact Number 4. Country nameGuest:WIth an Intel controller, but it's slowGuest:1. Guest:2. Guest:3. Guest:4. Venu GopalThank you for the information.Guest:Your welcomeGuest:Can I continue explaining my problem?Venu GopalI would like to inform you that we will support Boxed Intel motherboards and processors.Venu GopalTo get more information on this please contact your laptop vendor.Guest:Thanks, but this is not my vendors problem.Guest:t's an Intel product which does not support Windows 8Guest:Have a look at this link please: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21129&lang=eng&wapkw=intel http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21129&lang=eng&wapkw=intel usb 3<td class="u...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have a pavilion m6 and since windows 8 downloaded only one USB out of the four works.

will be downloading windows 7 back again just so i can have my beloved USBs working again.

this is not on. have called HP as well as Intel, neither see it as their problem to solve. over 60 000 views and 171 posts on this forum. Are we any nearer to a solution?????

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is getting ridiculous Intel. There is clearly huge demand for a driver. Why are you ignoring consumers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't vouch for the validity of this, but I read that if one uninstalls the current drivers first then installs W8 upgrade, the correct drivers are put in place? I'm not trying it but that's what someone suggested! I don't trust anything about W8 yet. I know that IE10 does not work correctly in W7. I wasn't able to reply on this forum and some other forums till I went back to IE9.

What a bunch of crap! Intel says it's up to Microsoft, Microsoft says it's up to Intel. It's as bad as the Democrats and Republicans screwing with the tax code!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't vouch for the validity of this, but I read that if one uninstalls the current drivers first then installs W8 upgrade, the correct drivers are put in place?

If you do this the generic Window 8 USB 3.0 drivers are installed. That is the whole problem though as these do not allow your USB ports to function as they did in Windows 7 under dedicated Intel drivers.

We have confirmed that Intel simply does not want to correct this when we forced the Windows 7 Intel drivers to install on Windows 8 by modifying their config files. Doing this ridiculous step corrects the issues with both pre and post install environments.

Best I can tell all Intel actually needs to do here is modify the config files for their existing drivers and then re-sign them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bruce Harrison wrote:

If you do this the generic Window 8 USB 3.0 drivers are installed. That is the whole problem though as these do not allow your USB ports to function as they did in Windows 7 under dedicated Intel drivers.

Bruce, you continue to make statements that are not true, except possibility in your specific circumstances. I asked you once for specifics about your system, and as far as I know, you have not provided the information.

If you have previously entered your system specifics, which would include where you got the install media and how you are installing, I will gladly go and read that post.....

In case you are wondering, I do not work for any company involved in any part of Windows 8..

As far as Intel and providing drivers, I get the distinct impression that a deal was reached between all the parties involved and it was decided to make the OEMs the point on anything dealing with their systems. If there was an updated driver, your OEM should have it for you. But again, for me, the Out of the Box USB 3.0 Windows 8 drivers work fine.....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We have confirmed that Intel simply does not want to correct this when we forced the Windows 7 Intel drivers to install on Windows 8 by modifying their config files. Doing this ridiculous step corrects the issues with both pre and post install environments.

Best I can tell all Intel actually needs to do here is modify the config files for their existing drivers and then re-sign them.

Bruce, do you have these installation files with modified configs available.

Did this trick fix your USB 3 speeds in Windows 8? Or did it merely make a non-functioning port work like USB 2?

If this fixed your USB 3 speeds, is it possible that we could release an "Unofficial driver package", using your driver with modified configs, with together with instructions that are simple enough for a monkey to install?

(A monkey like me)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
But again, for me, the Out of the Box USB 3.0 Windows 8 drivers work fine.....

Any chance that you could share this driver you use with the rest of us? (File share?, Download link?)

I suspect that the driver you got "out of the box" may not be the same "out of the box" driver I got? Who is your hardware vendor/manufacturer?

Here is a proposed solution about how to modify and install the Win7 driver, I followed it exactly, but still do not get USB 3 speeds. http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers | Plugable

Message was edited by: Matthys

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Because of the comments in the thread, I tested several different ways, and noted those on one of my replies.

But one test was a clean install on a clean hard drive. No internet connection, so no drivers could be downloaded, and the USB 3.0 ports worked fine. A Windows 7 install would not allow the 3.0 ports to function.

The only logical explanation is the USB 3.0 drivers are in the Windows 8 install media. There can be no other conclusion drawn from my experience.

ASUS does not have Windows 8, 3.0 drivers available for their Z77 boards, but they do have them available for Windows 7.

You might check the usbxhci.inf file that installs the drivers for the Intel eXtensible Host Controller. Maybe you will see something that would help. Checking if you have the files referenced would at least show the install seemed to work correctly.

So I cannot send you a driver you already have. If there is something about your install media, like it is an Enterprise version, or some Country variance, maybe there is something in common with those folks having problems. The article you link does not really mention which systems may not work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bruce, you continue to make statements that are not true, except possibility in your specific circumstances. I asked you once for specifics about your system, and as far as I know, you have not provided the information.

I and many others have not been able to get full functionality (either speed or actual functionality) out of the generic Windows 8 USB 3.0 drivers. I have no issues on Windows 7 with dedicated Intel drivers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230409 THIS is my system. Note that it does not even have USB 2.0 ports.

My specific problem was that when I tried to install windows 8 from one of these USB 3.0 ports I was asked to provide drivers yet inspection of boot.wim clearly shows that the generic windows 8 drivers should have kicked in and allowed this to work. This also happens when I try the same in Windows 7 BUT I can merge the dedicated drivers provided by Intel to work around this issue. As far as the other users go, look around you and check google. People are getting reduced speed or are being forced down to USB 2.0 speed in many cases on windows 8 when it comes to these Intel USB 3.0 ports

As far as my fix (and the fix for many others) it is using the hacked Intel USB 3.0 Windows 7 drivers. I used /forceunsigned to add them to boot.wim and my install issues were completely resolved (this indicates that Intel can do the same and resign them). Others have disabled driver signing to force install these same hacked drivers post install to address their reduced speed issues (also indicates that Intel could do the same and resign them)..

Now its your turn, back up this statement:

you continue to make statements that are not true

0 Kudos
HPark17
Beginner

Clark,

I'm with Bruce and many others. This is just stupid that Intel is not doing anything about it.

Again, we are experiencing USB 2.0 speed on a clean installed Windows 8. The generic driver does not properly support Intel's USB 3.0. Updating the chipset driver or storage matrix is not related to this, and it does squat.

Problem is that Intel is not releasing any USB 3.0 driver update for Windows 8.

I'm not saying this is 100% the case as you and a very lucky few seem to have no problems with it. It's very hard for me to believe that some people's Intel USB 3.0 is working properly at USB 3.0 speed (no cached speed or anything) without a hack in Windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don't know if this has any direct bearing, but I came across this article this morning, albeit an old one.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/07/13/common-issues-in-usb-3-0-devices.aspx Common issues in USB 3.0 devices - Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bruce, I looked at your system on NewEgg (now shows discontinued) and then checked the ASUS site.

Of course, there are no USB 3.0 drivers for either one of our systems. So, some comments and questions.

Are you using the USB Charging system?

Are you using the SSD for any special utilities, like Intel's Rapid Start, or Smart Response? The reason I ask is because my testing seems to show using the Smart Response can make USB speeds appear to be 2.0 speeds.

There is a note about uprading to Windows 8 on systems that uses IRST and Nvidia video drivers.

There is a Bios update showing Dec 12, 2012.. I do not know what it is for (shows GOP), but possibly Windows 8 related.

You USB ports show to be 3.0/2.0/1.1 compatible. If your ports work in Windows 7 then they are different from mine which will not work in Windows 7 without loading the USB 3.0 drivers. My 3.0 ports are not USB 1.1 compatible. Have you tried disabling USB Legacy support?

In a few days, I will have a new Nvidia card , so I can check the compatibility with Windows 8 and the USB 3.0 ports with it.

0 Kudos