Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?

idata
Employee

I seached within Intel Support and what I got were Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller drivers for MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller

Microsoft Windows 8 was released yesterday, October 26 and where is the compatible driver for it?

Could an Intel technical support representative feedback to technical support about this problem?

253 Replies
TSilv5
Beginner

Exactly my case. I have a Gigabyte UD5H. My back USB 3.0 (VIA) works at USB 3.0 speeds, but the internal headers work at USB 2.0. So Microsoft driver is buggy and faulty.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If Intel is waiting for a solution from Microsoft, then we need to ask them why their driver is good for Win7 and not for Win8.

Could you care to explain why Intel should be waiting for a solution from Microsoft when the hardware is Intel-based?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We should complain to Microsoft here:

And how can we complain to Intel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I figure it will probably get fixed sometime after the $15.00 upgrade special runs out, Jan or Feb?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Many people explained they had serious problems, in my case I simply tested the motherboard native (Intel ko) and secondary (Via ok) usb3 solution: I guess why similar drivers have different behaviours.

We're not talking about who's guilty, this is not my concern. We need a solution for this major problem, if I can't use a native usb3 driver 'cause it's faulty, than I ask to the main producer, which gives a direct functioning solution for Win7.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

if I can't use a native usb3 driver 'cause it's faulty, than I ask to the main producer

Who is this "main producer" in your case? Is it Microsoft, Intel or VIA?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this specific case, we're on an Intel forum, we have problems related to an Intel hardware, but the drivers are related to Microsoft because under Win8 it's the main provider.

So, you're asking a simple question, who's the producer.

Well, I'd like to answer that Intel may help, it's the chipset producer and gave us the functioning Win7 driver.

This is not a battle between us, we just need a solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have a similar problem but in my case it's with an external USB 3.0 4-port hub and not on the motherboard. It clearly states in the device list that the "Superspeed USB Hub" is "nonfunctional". I definitely need these drivers to support it properly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have a similar problem but in my case it's with an external USB 3.0 4-port hub and not on the motherboard.

What's the brand of your 4-port hub? Some manufacturers of generic brands don't really include the real USB 3.0 chipsets in their product offerings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bowie wrote:

I also have a similar problem but in my case it's with an external USB 3.0 4-port hub and not on the motherboard.

What's the brand of your 4-port hub? Some manufacturers of generic brands don't really include the real USB 3.0 chipsets in their product offerings.

It's a generic USB 3.0 4 port hub but I can guarantee it worked at highspeed under Win7. It even says highspeed "nonfunctional" in the Win8 Device Mgr.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is this what's going on with Windows 8 causing this problem?

"..... the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP), a supercharged way to move files that's going to be natively supported by Windows 8....."

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's a generic USB 3.0 4 port hub

You have to be careful, my friend, when buying stuff that is generic. I have two external USB 3.0 HDDs that are generic brands. They all perform poorly. It was much later that I found out from one of my trustworthy Chinese manufacturers that native USB 3.0 chipsets are not included as doing so will drive up costs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Let me say that even Microsoft doesn't provide a digitally signed driver, whatever.

The solution ekko suggested drastically improves performances, I tried with modified .inf files on a second pc, and the situation now is correct.

This is a hint for everyone: to test a usb3 properly we need a fast chain, ssd with os installed, usb3 port (and decent drivers), usb3 pendrive or external ssd.

'Till you stay on mechanical disks there's no way to reach the limit, 'cause we moved from 480 Mb/s to 4.8 Gb/s bandwidth, but you can always see the difference; and as Bowie wrote, a good external case is mandatory.

This is my second test on a Vaio with Ivy Bridge ecosystem (HM76 vs Z77).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The solution ekko suggested drastically improves performances, I tried with modified .inf files on a second pc, and the situation now is correct.

Your statement supports what I have been saying all along: that the device driver provided by Microsoft in the installation media of Windows 8 is lousy. Intel owes to its customers a proper device driver compatible with Windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why the vast discrepancy in speed between the two tests? 246MB/s versus 133MB/s?

Shouldn't the tests be performed on the same machine with USB 3.0 disabled/enabled?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bowie, I prefer not to quote all your sentence, but you're utterly right.

I don't blame Intel, but they have to resolve the problem giving Microsoft a help, a trick is not a correct procedure ever.

Talking about performances, I really ignore the causes of such a difference, maybe the burst speeds are determined by the chipset itself, but in different ways between the desktop and the mobile version.

The technical sheets referred to usb3 take a long time to read , with stable drivers we could proceed with other comparisons.

Oh, I did a speed test with the same machine via different controllers (1-VIA and 2-Intel, no differences between them, near 245 MB/s) on my Z77 pc; if you don't force the installation of Intel drivers, you're always limited to the maximum performance of usb2.

I noticed the same behavior on desktop and notebook, and that's perfectly normal, usb3 knows different ways to work: Intel did a lot of job simplifying an old structure, from Open to eXtensible Host Controller Interface, from BOT to UASP (where is it? ) but usb3 still resides upon legacy hardware/software and it's starting to spread only after Win8.

0 Kudos
TSilv5
Beginner

How did performance of (1-VIA and 2-Intel) compared? Are they equally fast, or one more then the other?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this specific case, we're on an Intel forum, we have problems related to an Intel hardware, but the drivers are related to Microsoft because under Win8 it's the main provider.

So, you're asking a simple question, who's the producer.

According to your line of argument, Intel shouldn't be providing the Panther Point H77, HM77, Z77 drivers at all. And Renesas shouldn't either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since this discussion forum software is so NIGHTMARISH to deal with when using special characters, I uploaded the files and instructions here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1iTNRmwaw54RWMyd3hUVV9WZkE https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1iTNRmwaw54RWMyd3hUVV9WZkE

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you

Could you please upload a copy of theses modified files

I faild to install perhaps I did something wrong

0 Kudos