Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Why am I not able to increase the amount of dedicated VRAM for my integrated graphics?

PKong7
Beginner

I have HP Laptop 15-bs0xx, intel HD 620 graphics and windows 10 1809. I have tried looking in the BIOS utility but there is no such option. I have even created registries in the registry editor shown in most of the articles and youtube videos, but all in vain. Please help!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your graphics can use up to 50% of your physical memory:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

Do not mess with the registry.

Doc

0 Kudos
PKong7
Beginner

Yes. I have two 4 gb sticks, making 8gb of system ram. But the dedicated video ram shows only 128 mb!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Forget the dedicated number, that is a bios option. All you need to know is the amount of system memory, which is up to 50%.

Doc

0 Kudos
PKong7
Beginner

Yes the total avilable graphics memory is shown 4096 mb and the shared system memory shows 3968 mb. But I heard it is the dedicated memory that maters and it increases game performance. Then shouldn't I be worrying about it? Please clarify.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @PKong7​ 

1. The answer given by AL are correct.
  2. Please read the explanation about Intel Graphics Memory in Windows 10.

Leon

0 Kudos
PKong7
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You heard incorrectly. Would you rather have 128mb or 4096mb? All is ok with what you have.

Doc

0 Kudos
PKong7
Beginner

So you mean to say that the amount of dedicated vram dosent really matter as intel integrated graphics dosent have memoryof its own.

Then can you please suggest me some of the ways to improve gaming performance for my laptop.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Get a laptop with a faster processor and more memory.

Doc

0 Kudos
PKong7
Beginner

What if that's not an option

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That is always an option. Since you do not have a graphics memory issue, there are forums on the internet where you can discuss gaming performance.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The settings (reservations) in the BIOS are for the BIOS and are ignored by the Windows Graphics drivers. The amount currently dedicated to graphics is controlled dynamically by the driver, based upon current needs and, as Al said, may consume up to 50% of the available memory. There are ways to change the minimum within the Registry, but this is only recommended for those cases where older (read: buggy) games refuse to run with the default minimum settings. While it is true that a very (very!) small increase in graphics performance may be garnered by locking in a much higher minimum, overall system performance will be disaffected by this change and this will disaffect game performance in other ways. It really isn't worth it.

Al is also correct, BTW, when he says that the only way to significantly increase graphics performance is to add an NVIDIA or AMD graphics engine. If you cannot, then your graphics performance is going to remain limited.

...S

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

How to Increase the Dedicated VRAM of your GPU

1. Press Windows key + R to open up a Run box.
  2. Scroll down and click on Advanced display settings, then click on Display adapter properties for Display 1.
  3. You can check out your VRAM count under Adapter information at Dedicated Video Memory.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos