Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

Why display getting swapped between two monitors on reboot or change user

MTend1
Beginner

I have system with Q87 chipset having Win 7 installed on it. This has dual DVI output and have connected monitors to both the outputs

Observing strange behavior like some times on reboot the display that comes on monitor # 1 goes to monitor # 2 and vise a versa, where as this happens frequently when we change the user (logoff from one and login to another user).

How to fix the display with respect to monitors. in case 2nd monitor is not on the display of 2nd monitor should neither come on 1st nor it should overlap the display of 1st monitor.

if only one monitor is connected that should be treated as primary. in case of two monitors it should not swap the display.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Milind.Tendulkar:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I tested this in a system with the specs below and I didn't encounter with this behavior.

Tested with:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 Processor

Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board DQ77MK

Dual DVI monitors connected to DVI-I and DVI-D in the board

Graphics driver: 10.18.10.4358

I would like to gather some information from your system in order to attempt to replicate this with the nearest configuration from our side.

To do this, please provide me with the Intel® System Support Utility report, please refer to the instructions below.

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report and attach it to your answer witht the advanced edditor option

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
MTend1
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

Thanks for your replay.

Attached herewith is the scan report from the utility provided by you.

For me the hardware is as below:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570S CPU @ 2.90GHz

Motherboard: I could not get the actual model of motherboard as it is custom made but it has Q87 intel Chipset

Dual DVI monitors connected to DVI-I and DVI-D in the board

Graphics driver: 10.18.10.3496 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

We are basically in Healthcare domain and our application uses OpenGL stuff for displaying the images but I don't suspect this as the monitor swapping happens at the OS level when system boots and not at the application level.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks & Regards,

Milind

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Milind.Tendulkar:

Thank you for the information provided.

This will be supported in a different way than a desktop computer, because of the motherboard that is using as well as the OS.

In order to get support on this, the path or steps to follow would be:

1. Contact Lenovo (they are the integrators of the system as per the specs provided by Intel® System Support Utility report

2. Explain the scenario or issue that you are encountering with.

3. Ask them to open a ticket with the Intel Premier support to get this handled.

As mentioned before this is because of the components that are used by your device.

Here you can find the contact information for Lenovo:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/contact/?menu-id=order_supportexisting_order_helpcheck_order_statusonline_or_talk_with_an_agent http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/contact/?menu-id=order_supportexisting_order_helpcheck_order_statusonline_or_talk_with_an_agent_

1-855-253-6686

Monday-Friday 9am-9pm (EST)

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
MTend1
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

Thanks for your suggestion, I can do that but I believe that will take it's own time to come back to me.

Mean time is there any way to set/fix this by some registry tweak?

Normally people do this with NVidia drivers, to avoid such display swapping we can use a command like "rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll, dtcfg setview 1 dualview DA DB"

Here we are invoking the nvcpl.dll provided by NVidia to set the display for dual view and 'DA DB' are the display positions which it can remember and will not allow to swap.

Do we have similar kind of tweak for Intel HD Graphics?

Thanks & Regards

Milind

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer on this Milind.Tendulkar, I would like to double check if you were able to get in contact with the recommended team above.

In this case, what affects the support source is the product used, this system is supported by the team advised before.

Hope you can contact them if you haven't already in order to get this configured as desired.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
MTend1
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

I have initiated the query but there is no update as of now, I have to confirm whether the query reached to Lenovo.

This is the reason why I asked for the workaround, if you have any please let me know.

I'll update you whenever I get any update from Lenovo.

Thanks & Regards,

Milind Tendulkar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for advising us about this Milind.Tendulkar, please keep us posted on that answer from Lenovo.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey, Milind.Tendulkar, I was wondering if you received any comments from the manufacturer of your device, related to this matter we were treating here?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos