Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

Why my Intel HD 4000 graphics driver is causing screen flickering?

JMuco
Beginner

Hello, I have some problems with my Intel graphics drivers on my laptop. My Intel HD 4000 graphics is causing screen flickering. Every time I update the drive on Windows 10 it starts causing it but when I uninstall it, it is really fine like nothing happened. The same issue I have even on my other OS, Ubuntu 20.04.

The flickering started when, on an older version of Ubuntu(18.04) I started screen recorder. After that, the screen was always flickering. Also my laptop was in the repair shop a month ago and the person who was repairing it, said that it damaged a part of the processor.

I want to know why is this happening and how can I fix this(if it possible)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I found a board/processor the same as yours (I believe) :

Looking at the last photo, it shows what the system information looks like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProBook-6570b-Core-i5-3210M-CPU-2-50GHz-Motherboard-CPU-Included-for-parts-/202965070672

I am having a hard time believing the repair shop gave it back to you like this. I hope you did not pay too much for this "repair".

Doc

0 Kudos
JMuco
Beginner

Yeah, I'm seeing and it looks extremely similar or not saying its the same laptop. Maybe I have to buy there isn't another way. Yeah, I think for me is a considerable amount because I paid $55. They maybe just replaced the chips with some which are not compatible enough with the board.

Also I'm seeing that Windows is not causing anymore screen flickering. At the Display Adapter on device manager, I see Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and it working fine. I guess I don't need to change the adapter for now. But I'm afraid that one day it will show me again the flickering so I will see every considerable path 🙂

Thank You So Much another time, Jugert 😄

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, to me, it sounds like they replaced the BIOS component completely and that the BIOS is not "branded" for the motherboard. This is a problem mostly for software looking for branding information, but it could also mean that the BIOS is not set up properly for (or is incompatible with) the processor present. This would mean that processor errata is not being handled (by microcode update), etc. I am thinking that it is time to cut your losses and replace this unit completely. The complex sugars found in beer can do nasty -- and often permanent -- things to delicate electrical equipment.

...S

0 Kudos