Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Why won't Intel allow changing of refresh rate for notebook integrated monitors?

idata
Employee

Hi, (for intel), why won't Intel allow changing of refresh rate for notebook integrated monitors? They have the option but it never works? Always says unsupported? I have a Clevo W110er with optimus hd4000 and nvidia gt650m. Intel, please read and enable the refresh rate changing for the integrated monitors of laptops. Also, if anybody knows how to get it to work, let me know.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Milardo, thank you for contacting us through Intel Communities.

Bear in mind that we offer a lot of refresh rate settings when using the graphics driver in an Intel system, such as motherboard or a NUC.

Laptops or notebooks are customized by their system manufacture; therefore refresh rates are not always available.

I'm sending you 2 pictures from my systems. The first one if from a laptop, which provides only 2 refresh rates options. The second one is from a NUC. This one has many options to choose from.

# 1

# 2

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi sylvia_intel, if for example i had a laptop with a dedicated nvidia gpu without optimus, like gtx680m, it doesn't expose all supported refresh rates of integrated monitor, rather, it allows you to create custom resolutions along with custom refresh rates, and allows you to test if they work or not, but there are no restrictions as to creating them and testing them. There is a custom resolution tool from intel in the system32 folder i think, called custommode app something, which should allow for custom resolutions and refresh rates, but doesn't allow to create them at all for integrated monitor? I even tried to create lower resolutions like 1280x720 at 60hz wouldn't even allow that?! I do not believe that the notebook manufacturer clevo has limited support for this, many other laptops users using different brands have this same exact problem, when using optimus. However if they dedicated gpu like nvidia, there's no problem. It would be nice if intel lifted the restrictions on this, let me know if you need more info thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Anybody? No response from intel again?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Milardo, please bear in mind that every computer manufacture modified the Vbios according to their needs and refresh rate may blocked at Video BIOS level, so even a registry update may not enable the option.

So basically, the ability to change the rate is left to what the system manufacturer enables for your system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, i do not believe that manufacturer clevo modified the vbios to not allow custom refresh rates, i also know that intel hd4000 and higher dont support edid overrides? Can edid overrids be enabled for these the intel gpus? And can you show me registry changes that would allow for custom refresh rates and resolutions?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, i have already tried this custommodeapp.exe program but it won't allow me to create anything higher than 1366x768 at 60hz? Also, why isn't this thread moving up as i respond to it? Also, how to override the maximum bandwidth capacity?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Once again Milardo, please get in touch with your system manufacture, since we do not support any kind of customizations.

0 Kudos
SFace
Beginner

I am beginning to think that the Intel chipset does not support over 60hz - thus nvidia optimus users are screwed.

Alienware have the option to disable optimus (fn+f7) hence only use their discrete GPU -> example Nvidia gpu.

Care to validate or disapprove my statement regarding intel chipset 60hz cap on integrated monitor?

HDMI out runs on discrete GPU FYI (if you want to verify possible custom resolutions)

/ Victor

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Victor bear in mind that the maximum resolutions for Intel 4th generation processor family are the following. The highest refresh rate is 60Hz.

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

And this is absolutely ridiculous, once again proving how shit of a company Intel is. You don't support any kind of customization? So then your customers are clearly not important to you. You do realize that EVERY new LCD, TV and monitor coming out these days is supporting upwards of 144hz. So why would anyone want to use Intel when you won't let us have more than 60hz? This is such a MAJOR company failure!

Here's what Intel needs to do: simply ALLOW customizations just as Nvidia and AMD have for YEARS! Who authorized this idea that we shouldn't be able to customize our settings? That person needs to be sacked immediately after a lengthy apology.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the feedback OscarKool.

I will send this to the appropriate team.

0 Kudos
BNa
Beginner

@OscarKool - having spent three days to change resolution, reported working on same HW, with no results... well, i fully agree with your comment

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, so is there a status update on this?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Milardo, have you contacted Clevo support regarding this issue? As the manufacturer of your system, they may have information that would be helpful to you.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes i have contacted clevo support but they didn't really answer me... Why can't intel make a driver that supports custom resolutions and refresh rates for integrated lcd of laptops, rather than limiting it, there must be registry tweaks one can make to enable those?

0 Kudos
JLawr1
Beginner

Yes, at least provide some way of letting all of us change the resolution/refresh rate to what we want (if the screen goes blank for example, have a timed ~10 second revert confirmation box).

Please Intel, make something like this happen as there would be at least a million users wanting this functionality. Intel allows overclocking for its CPUs...

What is the best way we can make this happen?

As far as I can tell, the "customer service" representatives in these forums are just looking for answers.

I have answered.

0 Kudos