Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen.

SJapa
Novice

We have different Users with a strange behaviour - if they maximize a window tested with IE11, Acrobat, Windows Explorer, google chrome they get an empty or black / white space on top of that window.

Right clicking on the empty or black / white space on top of that window you get the context menu of the desktop. 

It's just when the window is maximized, you can stretch it to "full screen" by hand and its fine too. maximize > problem appears.

Users have dual screens

if the user signs out, and signs back in it works.

if i disconnect the user from the session and they log back in it works.

if i connect to the session with one screen it works.

CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B and signs back in it works.

Problem occurs with notebook and multi-vendor desktops with ou without offboard video card.

Occurs with HD graphics:

Intel® HD Graphics 630

Intel® HD Graphics 530

Intel® UHD Graphics 620

Problem reported and known by other users:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-terminal-server-2016-multi-monitor/aefbec87-0f5e-4f35-8296-b432d7d7f98b?tm=1538402889026&rtAction=1538550302665

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/kztvALbicwE;context-place=forum/chrome

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/white-bar-covering-top-portion-of-windows-explorer/958e89c3-22ea-48d8-aeaf-bac25d11aa94

#TAG:

white bar covering top portion of windows explorer

white bar in top or bottom window when maximized

white bar across top of maximized

white or black bar across top of maximized

1 Solution
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, We have not been able to reproduce the issue described on this thread. Our tests were performed on the following hardware: * Intel NUCi7DNKE: Windows 10 (17763) driver 25.20.100.6577 * Lenovo T480: Windows 10 (16299) driver 23.20.16.4901 Steps followed: 1. Clean Windows 10 installation with just Chrome and Outlook 2016. 2. Connected two monitors (Acer B286HK and Acer G257HU). 3. Set both monitors in Extended display via Intel Graphics Control Panel. 4. Launch several instances of File Explorer, Chrome and Outlook 2016. 5. Maximize each window. 6. Minimize each window. 7 Move the windows to the 2nd monitor. 8. Repeated steps 5-6 several times. No issue was observed. Windows are displaying correctly. Some threads are referencing this issue and some users with non-Intel Graphics are also reporting this issue. Examples: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8imjva/windows_10_multi_monitor_maximized_window/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=12 This seems to be an operating system related issue that may be triggered by a particular update. If the issue persists, we recommend reporting this issue to Microsoft*. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
78 Replies
ODick1
Beginner

Afternoon WanerG_Intel,

I also have many rather a few machines suffering from the same issue.

If I can get you any details to help get a solution for this, please let me know as we're also suffering the same problem.

See my port on Microsoft TechNet, here;

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07b8bf4e-66b3-4e67-9b14-919e4e69979e/program-quotwhite-spacequot-and-scaling-issues?forum=win10itprogeneral#1ab6f431-97c0-4ca2-b864-0aab2dae1f8d

Regards,

Oliver.

0 Kudos
Sparki
Novice

Oliver, can you jump through their hoops (before they ask!!) and post the dxdiag, ssu and post the 'Template for Submitting a Graphics Bug'. all in previous posts above...

Thanks

0 Kudos
HMaye2
Novice

I also have a machines suffering from the same issue.

I posted already to : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=12

I attach 3 Files.

0 Kudos
HMaye2
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
HMaye2
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, Thank you for providing the information requested. As soon as we have any update about this issue, we will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TDoct
Beginner

One of our systems have the same issue. We've gathered the dxdiag and SSU information.

We've also tried the following:

• Installing newest driver
  • Uninstalling and installing older drivers (25.20.100.6577 and 23.20.16.4849)
  • Setting Intel scaling to Scale to Fullscreen with Override enabled, this makes the problem worse.
0 Kudos
TDoct
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, We are reviewing the information posted to better assist you. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, We have not been able to reproduce the issue described on this thread. Our tests were performed on the following hardware: * Intel NUCi7DNKE: Windows 10 (17763) driver 25.20.100.6577 * Lenovo T480: Windows 10 (16299) driver 23.20.16.4901 Steps followed: 1. Clean Windows 10 installation with just Chrome and Outlook 2016. 2. Connected two monitors (Acer B286HK and Acer G257HU). 3. Set both monitors in Extended display via Intel Graphics Control Panel. 4. Launch several instances of File Explorer, Chrome and Outlook 2016. 5. Maximize each window. 6. Minimize each window. 7 Move the windows to the 2nd monitor. 8. Repeated steps 5-6 several times. No issue was observed. Windows are displaying correctly. Some threads are referencing this issue and some users with non-Intel Graphics are also reporting this issue. Examples: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8imjva/windows_10_multi_monitor_maximized_window/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=12 This seems to be an operating system related issue that may be triggered by a particular update. If the issue persists, we recommend reporting this issue to Microsoft*. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SJapa
Novice

When changing the version of the Intel video driver (downgrade or upgrade) the problem changes in intensity. It is related to the Intel driver.

0 Kudos
FrancoisCleroux

OK I did find information now at Adobe. Here is a possible fix someone suggested and several people have confirmed it worked for them But for some it was NOT a fix. Interesting that this dates back to 2018:

alexr3618913 - Community Beginner - Nov 05, 2018

Hi Everyone,

I had talked to Adobe about this and they gave me a solution to try. Our computers here that are being affected are running Intel's HD graphics drivers so the fix they gave me are for these drivers. I havnt heard about a fix for other drivers but if your using Intel HD Graphics then try this out:

1. Right Click on an empty space on your Desktop and go to Intel Graphic Settings

2. Go to Display Settings > Advanced display settings

3. Click on "Display adapter properties for Display #" (Choose the affected screen in case you have two monitors or do the following steps for both monitors).

4. In the adapter properties, go to "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel" tab

5. In the "Scaling" setting choose "Maintain Aspect Ratio"

6. Save settings if it gives you the option or just close out.

So far I have this implemented on a couple of our machines and so far it hasn't happened. I do have a case still open with them so if it doesn't work I will go back and inquire about a fix.

0 Kudos
FrancoisCleroux

And one more. Someone suggested this fix and it has worked for some. But another thought and question at the bottom:

hannahn40243060 - New Here - Mar 12, 2020

So, I have had this issue for several different users in my company. I have tried all of those solutions that are in the replies, it would be workarounds. Work for a few days and then the white bar was back. 

I believe I have found a permanent solution... If you go to the adobe desktop app on your desktop home screen (or laptop) right-click on the app --> then properties --> in properties, go to the tab that says "compatibility" --> in compatibility tab, under "combability mode" check the box and make sure the dropdown menu is on Windows 8 --> then go to change settings for all users and proceed with the same check boxing --> make sure to hit APPLY and then OK. 

It must be a compatibility issue with the new Windows 10. 

Someone suggested changing the screen resolution to DEFAULT. I will need to confirm that all the dual and triple monitors are set to default. I know for sure one of these is NOT set to Default Res as the 4K display was too small for text for the user.

Anyone using DEFAULT res for the attached monitor and having issues?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Francois,

Your input is a garbled mess. There is nothing actionable when it is this garbled and does not include the information needed to accomplish anything. Please provide consistent ordering of information by date and do not include any input that does not also have at least a graphics driver version number included with it.

...S

0 Kudos
FrancoisCleroux

Scott, what are you talking about?

I am trying to resolve an issue that has been on-going for over 2 years with people all over the world. Driver versions are completely irrelevant as this problem appears on Intel, AMD and NVidia systems for over 2 years in various versions of Windows 10. 

The posts I left will help get to the bottom of things. Since these posts (which I did in another Forum also) have gotten some great information that may help more. 

From all the reading I have done, I have done more work to get to the bottom of the problem than you have. Suggesting a "Driver Version" would be helpful would not be as explained above.

If I am supposed to format differently, please explain and I will try to adhere to your "non-garbled" standards. Please note I am new in this Forum and all I am trying to do is help. You could be more respectful.

HMaye2
Novice

Some other forum https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8imjva/windows_10_multi_monitor_maximized_window/ advise this:

https://i.imgur.com/ipIJbWH.png 

Right click desktop, go to Intel HD Graphics settings. Select Display and then choose the option Scale Full Screen. Make sure the option Override Application Settings has the checkbox marked.  

in my case the issue comes after full day of work 8-10 hours.

No problems during the day.

But if problem comes in the evening, it will come all the time.

Shibby
Beginner

HMayer2, I'm actually the one that posted that in reddit (user marlon_shibby).

It used to work with an older version for me and my users, but after some updates it is no longer a valid long term solution.

I'm glad it helped you somehow, but Intel still needs to work this out so we don't have to keep chasing workarounds everywhere.

0 Kudos
GWade1
Beginner

We are also experiencing this issue on an Optiplex 3050.

0 Kudos
ISupp29
Beginner

Our company is experiencing the same issue, i followed all possible solutions , nothing has worked so far.

The only temp fix is toggle full screen (F11)

It is still spreading as we're getting more users with this issue.

Our pcs are Dell Optiplex 390 with additional graphic cards (AMD Radeon HD 6350) so would be inclined to say it is Windows issue.

Sparki
Novice

OK, Think I have this one sorted!! (bottom for short answer)

as in my previous posts, This issue is happening with 25% of our machines

Toshiba Tecra A40 Laptops in docking stations (Laptop closed), Intel HD Graphics 520 (Driver 24.20.100.6286)

Two monitors plugged into the docking station (VGA and HDMI)

Windows and all other drivers up to date. (at time of original post)

same issues from this thread, cannot use original Intel drivers, have to use Toshiba downloads

https://forums.intel.com

CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B works until it happens again!! approx 3 times a day... EVERY day

Tried:

• Rebuild win10 (clean and restore)
  • Different drivers
  • Different monitors
  • Different cables
  • Different docking station

When the problem occurs it is ALWAYS on a full screen application, if you 'restore down' (SHIFT+WIN+DownArrow) the application window is fine and can be moved in to the top of the screen that was missing without any issues! if you then maximize the window the problem returns.

Also if you move the 'bad' application to the other screen (SHIFT+WIN+Left/RightArrow) the application is OK, move the window back the the 'bad' screen the problem is still there.

The problem does NOT always happen on the same screen.

Applications that seem to be the worst:

• Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017
  • Windows Picture Viewer (Microsoft Photos 2019.18114.17710.0)
  • Microsoft Outlook 2016 (NOT 365)

the issue happens whether any MS Office application is open or not.

"quicken fix" did NOT do this, as I read that the quicken fix disables graphic card acceleration...

https://www.quicken.com/support/transparent-menu-bar-issue

"Office Protected View mode" did not disable this...

Anyway, the fix, for us at least...

about two weeks ago windows 10 did a graphic driver update that can down with windows updates to driver version 25.20.100.6615

along with a couple of other updates, and the issue has not happened since!!

I think the issue here is manufactures like Toshiba being VERY slow on re-wrapping and releasing drivers for their products

But then why does this only occur on 25% of the exact same machines, using the same base image?

So the short answer... graphic driver.

Thanks Microsoft/Intel/Toshiba for all your help in fixing and updating your products in a customer focused, timely manor, acknowledging issues and assisting the people that pay you money, thanks for wasting so many man hours and my company's reputation.

I really need to know what we (the people that sell your products) are meant to say to our customers when WE sell items that are faulty/not fit for purpose through no fault of our own?

how about "Yes sir, this £1000 laptop is a good purchase, the best, the fastest on the market... but there is a 25% chance it will be a door stop until the manufactures sort their sh it out and fix it with a software update, it should be usable in about thirteen months"

I know things go bad and don't work to plan, ALL I want is an official acknowledgement of a problem, a time line and a fix. Just something to tell my customer...

0 Kudos
AKiel2
Beginner

I have the same issue. I have 2 Lenovo Tiny computers. I also have dual monitors. Both monitors are Lenovo Tiny in One monitors. I have tried everything and the same issue persists. I even got the monitors replaced so I know if definately isn't a monitor issue. Sometimes the issue is more frequent from other times. That white bar displays on the top of the second monitor. I also updated to latest windows 10 1903 update and installed latest Intel drivers. This is really frustrating to know so many have the same issue and it's still an issue. The only issue to resolve is to adjust resolution and apply. Then put back to original resolution and it resolves but it always comes back eventually. I am open to any other suggestions for we have been dealing with this for months now.

0 Kudos