Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20724 Discussions

Windows 10 will not detect second monitor

VVale3
Beginner

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre running Windows 10. Graphics card is an Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset. Main display is connected via VGA. Second monitor is connected via DVI to DisplayPort w/adapter.

Drivers are updated. I've tried disconnecting the monitor from VGA and booting the computer with a single monitor connected to the DisplayPort and it doesn't work at all. I'm not sure if there's a BIOS setting I can update, or if there's a problem with the DisplayPort, or what. No matter what I do, it won't detect the 2nd monitor. I'm considering just buying a splitter for the VGA port but I feel like there should be a way to get this working without using a splitter.

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Intel does not support Windows 10 on the Q45/Q43 graphics chipset.

Doc

0 Kudos
VVale3
Beginner

I'm not sure what that means to me in practical terms. Do you mean that chipset does not support dual monitors on Windows 10?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Intel will not be providing drivers for Windows 10. The best you can do is to use the generic Microsoft driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
VVale3
Beginner

I'm still confused. My machine is currently running Windows 10 and I have one monitor connected and working perfectly. I am probably missing something due to my inexperience but your answer isn't clarifying anything for me.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The Q45/Q43 is very old and comes under the category of "legacy" graphics. Intel is not providing an updated driver for Windows 10. What you are using is the Microsoft generic driver, which seems to be providing what you need for one monitor.

Doc

0 Kudos
VVale3
Beginner

Okay, that makes sense! Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information posted previously.

To ValerieLM:

I hope the information posted above was helpful for you.

I just wanted to confirm it by stating that there are no graphics drivers available for chipsets Q45/Q43 when you are using Windows® 10.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos