Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
KSzat
Beginner

Hey Nic, maybe try it on your own computer and then bring it into work?

Really wishing I could use my second monitor right now....

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

What I don't understand, is why so much discussion about the Windows Update supplied 3316 driver versus the Intel supplied 3316 driver? First, why give them the same version number if they are NOT the same? Next, since neither one works, I feel this is just a waste of time. Intel should be working on a NEW version that actually solves the issue with a a normal installer like previous driver packages.

And this issue is a mass issue that is super easy to replicate. So it shouldn't be hard to make sure a new driver works in the lab at Intel and THEN ask people here to try it out with some level of confidence.

We are quickly approaching the 1 week mark. While RTM be different from the recently released Windows Store distributed update. I highly doubt the driver model is different between the two. And this didn't seem to affect Nvidia and AMD drivers. Which it didn't even have to update after the upgrade.

VSeve
Novice

For me, the driver 3116 has been still working flawlessly. I have probably to thank the native Intel motherboard

for that. In fact, this driver was listed yesterday also in the Intel Download Center for my motherboard and Win 8.1, so Intel has been obviously assuming that it works correctly on this motherboard. Nevertheless, I understand your frustration with the problem.

0 Kudos
WMoss
Beginner

When I try to update with either the beta or the final Win 8.1 video drivers, the computer crashes with the message "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys)". My computer has BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard & Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge. There is no other graphics device than the Intel on-chip HD4000. The BIOS is set for integrated graphics only. Win 8.1 was installed using the MS streaming route, upgrading from Win 8.0. The four Win updates mentioned are all installed. I installed the older Intel Win 8.0 driver from March, 2013 (9.18.10.3071) without problems and it functions normally with Win 8.1.

RSing22
Beginner

I installed driver you mentioned (9.18.10.3071), now some of the applications are not crashing including Intel HD Graphics Control Panel but Still cant use Visual Studio and internet browser isn't rendering properly. It seems like older drivers are working better then the newer ones. On Windows 8 I had intel driver version 9.18.10.3215 installed which was working like a charm but causing problems on windows 8.1. All the 10.x driver versions are causing my system to crash, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (idkmd64.sys).

0 Kudos
MZmuc
Beginner

I tried boath ways, Windows driwer ower update site and direkt from your site. It dont work.

in bouth ways i get answer from Device manager: Windows has stop this device code 43.

I tried olso with Official driver from Dell Updete site. Same problem.

0 Kudos
MGard4
Beginner

Dell XPS12 with D3000 Docking Station and two external monitors.

I remember problems with multiple displays when I first set up this box on Windows 8, and installed drivers from Intel to solve it. Sorry I cannot remember the detail, just the aggro.

I did not try the 8.1 Preview on this system.

I installed Windows 8.1 on the day it was launched - I cannot tell you how long it took, but I do not remember it being excruciatingly slow, and it was certainly completed on the same day.

I did not however have access to my D3000 Docking Station with dual monitors until today, and find that multiple displays do not work.....

I have tried all the suggestions in Nic's post including both the 3316 and 3282 beta drivers to no avail - I still cannot get it to recognise multiple displays.

I have the four KBs of interest installed - surely you will believe me and don't need a screen print?

Why is this problem so difficult to fix?

A very frustrated Dilbert2k.

JBrec
Novice

@nic

I am using a clean install of win 8.1 downloaded from the store, ISO created on bootable usb. I did this after I did the update from the store migrating from 8.0 to 8.1 and I was having this problem with the intel driver (update that way took about 45 min - 1 hour) so I thought a clean install might fix it as something got borked during the install. Sadly I was mistaken and this is a driver problem, don't care if it is intel's fault or microsoft's, either way it is intel's responsibility to get there hardware (and software) working on this platform. I am sure you understand this, and I know you are working on it, but honestly, we people of the internet are an impatient lot.

nic, are you at the Portland, OR campus? I will drive there with my rig if you need a test bed because you can't duplicate the problem, I am just down the road a piece in Salem. Or if you want I will give you remote access, or set up an ftp so you can download the iso I made, hell, whatever it takes at this point. I work at the hospital the next 3 nights so you can have my rig for the weekend or remote access to it, or whatever you need.

0 Kudos
RSmit30
Beginner

Hi Nic,

first up thank you for monitoring this thread and taking an interest. This is the only place I have actually found that is actively & constructively talking with customers about Windows 8.1 update problems rather than just pretending they don't exist.

I am running Windows 8.1 on a Samsung Ativ Book 8 (NP880Z5E) which has dual switchable graphics with HD 4000 & AMD HD 8700M.

My problem is the brightness is no longer adjustable. I have to revert back to the basic MS driver to set brightness and then switch back to HD 4000 to get the brightness to a reasonable level. It is then stuck on the highest setting. It will occasionally revert back to a dimmer setting (about half maximum bright I think).

I suspect (in a half assed guessing kind of a way) it might be something to do with adaptive brightness?? Just a guess but I feel also it may be related to sleep functionality but have not had time to check this out.I have just noticed that sleep behavior is not quite what I expect.

I have followed all your instructions, removed the HD 4000 driver, delete files, restarts, etc. Back to the MS basic display driver. Windows updates installed (see below). Installed from your latest driver ZIP download of the 3316 driver for x64 with Windows updates disabled.

In fact I have repeated this exercise 3 times now.

The brightness problem persists but at least otherwise the driver seems to be functioning.

0 Kudos
NShul1
Beginner

I have a 2 week old build of Windows 8 from dell on a Latitude E7440 with a Core i5-4300U that has a HD4400 as the only GPU. I upgraded from the store as the instructions provided by Microsoft suggested. After the first driver from Intel failed with a black screen (3216 downloaded from Intel) I tried to apply the updates from Microsoft which also failed with a black screen. The computer is still responsive even with the black screen because I have turned on the voice navigation and it will tell me the current selected item. When I reboot into windows and take out the intel driver and use the basic I have no errors that point me to a specific issue. I have tried both methods, however when I uninstall the video card I do not get a prompt to uninstall the drivers as the instructions suggest. Instead I go to the programs section and uninstall the Intel Graphics Driver from there. I am quickly losing patience on this, as the hardware works flawlessly on Linux. I am sure it was something Microsoft changed at the last second between the Beta and RTM versions that is causing the hiccup. However we the customer (especially in businesses) expect a solid relationship between the two powerhouses in the PC world. If Microsoft and Intel cant work out the bugs before a release then they should be delaying the release, this is a beta release as far as I'm concerned. I had an easier time at converting Vista Machines to Windows 7, but One Hell of a time with Windows 8 and Worse now with Windows 8.1. These things are supposed to be getting easier... Stepping down from soap box now...

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Nic,

We have now tried as much as we can and getting more and more machine not working. For many of us we are not just playing games in our lobbies but working. We need you guys to seriously consider the problem, even I fully agree that; a part of it comes from Microsoft which totally ignore what the word "customers" means! Thanks to all of you guys for your support to get a fix ASAP. Good luck!

JBrec
Novice

nic,

I downloaded my version from the windows store on Oct. 20th. and I have this issue, it is not just people from the 17th.. Here is a screenshot of the bootable USB drive I made when I did this.. I work 12.5 hour night shifts at a hospital, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I have no time to do anything but eat sleep and go to work on those days, so, yeah, I did not do this on Friday.

nic, as I said earlier, I can set up an ftp for you to download the iso file I made this from through the windows utility. From my screen shots you know I have add on cards, AMD 7950's, they have the 13.11 beta1 drivers, the most recent from AMD. I have not tested the Intel driver with my plug in cards removed, but on Sunday when I have some time, and this is not resolved, I will try, and see if the driver functions in that environment.

I am remoting in to my PC from my ipad at work, during my break to post this. As I mentioned earlier, I am willing to give you remote access to my computer as well to test this. I just want this fixed, and as you cannot seem to replicate the issue, how about doing some out of the box thinking to find ways for you guys to get a test bed to work on this problem. We may not be in the technology profession, but the people on this forum understand computers, and are willing to help, if you give us a chance.

The current troubleshooting options you have do not work, you need to start looking at other ways to test this.

From the AMD website, they say their drivers are compliant with 8.1 as well.

Compatible Operating Systems

The AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta Driver for Windows is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

• Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)
  • Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit version)
  • Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)

RPome
Beginner

Hi I fixed the black screen for me by uninstalling lucid virtu

0 Kudos
TSumr
Beginner

FWIW, I had to uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers several times over the past few months to find one that'd work with Bluestacks. I don't know if multiple uninstalls/reinstalls has anything to do with it but I thought I'd pass that on, Nic.

Here's my screenshot of those updates you requested.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

So it's safe to say that those KB's are not responsible for either breaking or fixing the issue. That's a bummer. For those asking about Remote Access capability; we unfortunately do not have that. However..

@Linflas: If you do have a way to provide that .ISO to me, I would certainly test with it and see if there are differences.

Has anyone here done a fresh install since the weekend was over? We tested on Tuesday the 22nd, and it worked - and so far I have not heard from anyone that has done the install afterwards that is having the issue. Since the last time we have tested on non-Intel systems (Gigabyte* Z77X-UP4TH motherboard and Asus* UX32VD Laptop) and still have not had the issues.

Right now engineering is taking a deeper look into the OS and graphics driver to see if we can find the problem, but I have no ETA on if/when they will find a diagnosis. It is rather difficult to ascertain when we can't recreate the problem ourselves.

Additionally, since it was mentioned - if anyone else wants to try uninstalling Virtu* and seeing if that resolves the issue, let me know .

Thanks everyone,

-Nic

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

nic wrote:

Additionally, since it was mentioned - if anyone else wants to try uninstalling Virtu* and seeing if that resolves the issue, let me know .

Thanks everyone,

-Nic

I don't have and never had Virtu installed, and I have the issue.

0 Kudos
WMoss
Beginner

nic,

I think you are onto the solution. I just uninstalled Virtu, rebooted, installed the .3316 driver and voila: it did not crash. Device Manager reports the latest driver is indeed installed. I now have my dual monitors working normally.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi! nic,

"Has anyone here done a fresh install since the weekend was over?"

In deed yes! and more than that I bought (137$ CAD) a complete new version of W8.1 (upgrade) yesterday PM the 24/10 and TADA! after installing again and again the 3316 version of the driver and again and again passing across of the long procedure of your post date 23/10, I still have the same issue, the most recent driver 3316 don't work for me I still cannot switch from desktop to tablet display on my Asus Taichi 21.

Finally I rolled back for the tenth time to my former driver coming with my original windows 8 installation and obviously it works perfect now (again).

So nic, I really give up for good and waiting that somebody between Intel and Microsoft solve this problem.

As say one of our friend in this forum, "we are not playing game here", we are talking loosing time, we are talking business, and we are talking MONEY.

Please don't be affraid I am not sending you my invoice for my new W8.1.I am not so cheap!!!

Regards

0 Kudos
HHama1
Beginner

Salut! nic,

"Quelqu'un at-il fait ici une nouvelle installation depuis le week-end était fini?"

J'ai installé la version 3316 du pilote Intel hd 4000 et j'ai essayé tous les solutions proposé mais j'ai encore le même problème quand je lance un jeu (malgré que je l'exécute avec NVIDIA 635) après 5-10min Windows 8.1 crash avec cet écran :

PS: avant avec Windows 8 j'avais pas un problème.

J'en ai marre de ce problème svp trouver nous une solution et merci d'avance .

0 Kudos
RSing22
Beginner

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K

Motherboard - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

Graphics - Intel Graphics 4600 (don't have a external card yet)

Solution: Worked for me - Driver version 3316

I was having issues for a week with Intel graphics drivers on Windows 8.1. Since the upgrade I was unable to use most applications and wasn't able to install latest drivers from Intel or MSI website, they all crashed my pc.

So after no success for week here's what I did:

1. Downloaded latest Chipset (9.4.0.1026) and Graphics driver (10.18.10.3277) from MSI website.
  2. Did a clean install of Windows 8.
  3. installed chipset driver then graphics driver and then Ethernet driver (restarted after each), all good
  4. installed every single update that was available from Windows Update, after restarts they are more updates make sure you install them
  5. All updates installed so then I installed Windows 8.1 from the Store and it all worked fine
  6. Today Windows Update installed the latest graphics driver (10.18.10.3316) and it works, which I could not do before

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

xSpartanx wrote:

So after no success for week here's what I did:

1. Downloaded latest Chipset (9.4.0.1026) and Graphics driver (10.18.10.3277) from MSI website.
  2. Did a clean install of Windows 8....

I am glad you have a fully working system again. Unfortunately for me. And likely a bunch of us, is that we can't re-install windows. Or are unwilling to re-install Windows.

I would really like to see Intel reproduce the issue. Seems odd that such a wide spread issue across a wide variety of brands and devices with the same issue. That it would be hard to reproduce. I also wonder if the issue is slightly different with 4th gen vs 3rd gen CPUs.