Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21076 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
JBrec
Novice

nic wrote:

Hi everyone,

You're right, those steps are not for Windows* 8 or 8.1 - this might confuse users that cannot find the equivalent steps in Windows* 8.1. However, I would like to point out that the steps listed in the section for Windows* Vista are the same as those required for Windows* 8.1. I will append this to my previous post. As far as whether this is guaranteed to resolve the problem or not; it is not a guarantee. This is a suggestion that was presented by Engineering after researching the log files you provided. Do not shoot the messenger!

If you do not intend to test these steps though, that is fine. The more response I can get on the effectiveness of the proposed solution though, the quicker we can get back to the drawing board if it does not resolve the issue.

As far as reproducing the issue; we have only been able to reproduce Code 43. Code 31 is still in the works, and there are folks working on it. We have attempted using the same system configuration presented by vsslo, quietkid61, and FinnGus. The respective issues on these systems (Code 43, Code 31 and another Code 43) did not occur. So far we've had success with Code 43 on a single system, that is all. If this were as simple as "use the same configuration and it will happen", we would not be so intent on prodding the operating system for issues.

Also, please do not break the rules as stated at the beginning of the thread. Constructive feedback is completely accepted, name calling, incendiary insults, etc - are not.

Thanks,

-Nic

Nic,

We are busting your balls because we are frustrated we are2 weeks in, and barely any closer to an answer.

0 Kudos
blore1
Beginner

Thanks for your input on this, but I can't get it to work. I've done all these voodoo like installation methods as offered by ASUS and beyond, and the issue stands -- it works for a brief time, then everything stops. Can't get auto flip to work on the taichi, and when it doesn't work I have to reboot. It makes the machine almost useless.

I'm glad that there are fixes working for some, but not for me, and not for many others.

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Brian,

You mentioned all the voodoo install methods. Were you able to get the intel device to a state of an unknown graphics adapter? I had to remove everything driver related and delete in, with my network adapter in windows disabled. Then installed 3316 from the first page of this thread. It worked fine if it was running alone, 3 screens, no problem.

0 Kudos
CS11
Beginner

I think Brian B nailed it-

I just want someone, anyone, to own this issue and tell us there would be a resolution.

I wasted days upon days just trying to get an external monitor to work. It is clearly a graphics driver issue. When contacting "The Three" (Intel, MS and Lenovo) there was no ownership, no solution. Just finger pointing.

Again-

My fix came when I purchased a new external video card and downloaded their driver. Error 43 is gone and the external monitor is working. Also, my brightness function which worked in Win 8, stopped working when I installed 8.1, is now working again. Maybe I am illiterate when it comes to technical computer issues but for whatever reason the new driver and external card fixed everything I was working on fixing.

Cris 

0 Kudos
blore1
Beginner

I believe I've gotten it to that point, but the issue here is that the taichi21 has two monitors, as it's a convertible ultrabook..

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

@_wd

13.151 seems to help for a couple of Windows 8.1 issues. Here for example another one: https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28551# wrap https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28551# wrap

At win 8.0 everything was as shipped originally and it worked. Win 8.1 after win update it didnt work. Not sure about driver version, but now I'm using this:

Intel:10.18.10.3316 and AMD:13.151.0.0 and it works again:)

0 Kudos
SKwok
Beginner

RacerX

You are the man! I got it working on my Acer W700 after installing the J5 drivers. The strange thing it first asked me to uninstall the J5 drivers before allowing me to install. My DirectX Features were disabled/not available with 9.x drivers and now they are all Enabled! I can load games!

Steps I took to make my Windows 8.1 machine works instead of Intel/MS/Acer solutions

1) Download the drivers http://www.j5create.com/support.html http://www.j5create.com/support.html

2) Install

3) Update to 3304/3316/3325 etc manually. I used 3325.

4) Restart

5) Run Dxdiag.exe and check (see pic)

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Nic,

I cannot save evtx file in Event Viewer as the system reports that it cannot find the specified file. So I cannot send it to you. As you said that you are trying to reproduce the issue on my machine, let me add some more information.

The issue appeared with automatic AMD and Intel drivers on my machine right after the second installing of 8.1 from Win 7, updating with Win 8 and Adding Windows Media Center and updating to 8.1 through Store. In the process, I have not done any Windows Update till Win 8.1. I have not installed any applications except the above mentioned Windows Media Center. In 8.1 I I installed all Windows options and used Windows Update. The LSI 9271 controller was installed with an automatic driver, but during installing I removed all disks from the Intel Raid controller and LSI controller except the system Raid 0 2x SSD Intel 520 120 GB disk on the Intel Raid Controller 6Gb ports. . The Intel graphics was set as primary and enable if primary in BIOS. Besides the hardware already reported, I have also Plextor PX-B950SA Bluray burner on the Marvell port, Asus Xonar 7 external sound card on an USB port and Logitech C920 webcam on an USB port, which I left out of the first hardware report as I thought they were not relevant. All were installed with automatic drivers. Unfortunately, I have not saved any logs at that time. Though I should rather not repeat the process, as I have a working system now with all the applications, I could do it if it was absolutely necessary. I can retain the present system with a system disk image.

Later, when I installed also the applications, I had issues also with AMD beta Catalyst driver, but this is another story.

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi! RacerX and Brian

I agree that rolling back to the former driver version may not work for everybody but for my Taichi21 it was ok.

The only thing to take care of is to uninstall the existing (not working) display driver and existing audio driver and install the old driver listed in my previous post.

regards

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Hi again,

I am not sure if I have reported the following details about my system in my second install:

the initial Windows 7 system: Win Home Prem 7 SP1 64-bit English 1 pk DSP OEI 611 DVD

Windows 8 Update: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with Windows Media Center (a during first update downloaded ISO file)

Windows 8.1 Update: Windows 8.1 Pro (updated through Store, no ISO file)

Motherboard BIOS version: the latest (66)

0 Kudos
MSzle
Beginner

Hello,

just noticed another thing that might be related. Intel rapid driver UI is also crashing after installation on 8.1. That was a Samsung provided install (SWUpdate). IAStorUI is crashing nad closing.

Samsung XE700T1C-A04PL

0 Kudos
CS11
Beginner

Story:

Glad to hear it worked for you as well.

Still dumfounded as to how/why but cheers non the less.

Maybe the Intel guys could investigate that specific driver fixing error 43.................Oh wait they can't duplicate it it in the first place.

Cheers again-

Cris

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Though I cannot due to unknown reason save administrative events I can save Device Manager - graphics 4000 log, which I attached to this post.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I shall try to describe in a more consistent way the functioning of my BIOS options and the AMD and Intel drivers.

In the following Samsung PC monitor is always connected to the Intel HDMI port, and Sony TV to the AMD HDMI port.

State A. The computer and the monitors function without problems with the following settings:

BIOS options: PCIe set as primary, Intel set as always enable

AMD driver: Beta Catalyst Version 6

Intel driver: 3116 01/10/2013

Logging into the OS: the computer does the post phase on the TV and enters the OS on it, but after the logo and some circling transfers the control to the PC monitor, on which I log into the system. I can use the extended monitors or one or the other monitor.

State B. If starting in the setting A, I change the BIOS options to the Intel graphics as primary and enable if primary, the procedure is as following:

the computer does the post phase on the PC monitor and tries to enter the OS on it, but it remains black and the control is transferred to the TV, on which I log into the OS. The driver 3116 malfunctions with the code 31. The PC monitor is not detected. Reinstalling the drivers does not help.

Reverting to the state A from the state B:

If in B I change the BIOS setting again to the settings as in A, the computer enters the post phase on the TV and remains there. When I log into the OS, the driver 3116 is still malfunctioning with the code 31. if I then uninstall both drivers, the computer on the first rebooting functions correctly with automatic AMD drivers, but after the second rebooting, the 3116 malfunctions again with the code 31. If I then reinstall the Beta Catalyst driver, the computer after rebooting returns to the functioning State A.

0 Kudos
BJ1
Beginner

@Corsican1, RacerX, Brian Botkiller

Add another disgruntled Taichi21 user to the list. I refused to downgrade to Asus recommended (super outdated) 9.17.10.2857 driver and stuck with the 8.1 OEM 10.18.10.3316 which doesn't allow touchscreen usage . Recently Windows Update recommended the mentioned 9.17.10.2963 driver which I mistaken thought was a 3316 upgrade. I was stoked to have my touchscreen back then noticed no more Miracast support. That's when I realized 3316 had actually been downgraded by Windows Update.

I've since tried all drivers Intel offers 2857 (Asus version) through 3316 on my Taichi21. Only 2857 and 2963 offer Taichi touchscreen support but neither offer Miracast support. Nothing after 2963 will install using any method (Not validated for this computer error). However, 3316 will install by deleting the display adapter all together and letting windows 8.1 redetect it, at which time windows chooses to install 3316. LOL the Intel installer wont allow 3316 to install but Windows 8.1 will install it. Bass Ackwards for sure.

So it's either Touchscreen OR Miracast support for the glorious Taichi if you want to us 8.1 .

Perhaps Intel can explain why none of the drivers will support the touchscreen or install on the Taichi with supposedly supported Intel 4000 graphics??

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

@lqdchkn and all other friends that own a Taichi21.

One word first. I like my Taichi21. It will be dishonest from my part to say that this machine is not good. really speaking I like it and up to I upgraded to W8.1 it was working like a hell. After upgrading, like you, I had all the sames troubles than you had except that I never had code 31 or 43. the only thing was that I was not able to access to the tablet side screen.

Now after rolling it back to first the original driver 2857 (under W8.1) and after that, upgrading to 2963 (still under W8.1) it still working fine for now even if it's not the latest driver.

Tablet side Display: OK including touch screen with finger or pen

External VGA port: OK

HDMI port: OK.

And I can connect too to my TV set trough WIDI. and a D'LINK WIDI adapter.

Conclusion: ASUS support..... S....K

Regards

0 Kudos
BJ1
Beginner

^^^^But you don't have Miracast support with that driver. If you uninstall the WiDi app you can't broadcast your screen. I don't want to downgrade the driver and IMO install unnecessary software (WiDi) to broadcast to my external monitor. Part of the 8.1 benefit for me was Miracast support built in to the OS
0 Kudos
GSpot
Beginner

My log files and events....

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

I am still confused on why a huge step seems to be ignored. Reproducing the issue. Seems Intel isn't trying much at all to reproduce the Code 31 issue. As I have Code 31, I haven't been following the Code 43 issue so add that info if you know it.

There is plenty of data on this thread and many other forums. It appears the Code 31 issue happens for people with AMD video cards in the mix that did the Windows 8.1 update via the Windows Store.

So, Intel should simply grab a Z77 motherboard, 3rd gen i series core CPU, and AMD video card in the 6000 or 7000 series. Install Windows 7, do the retail Windows 8 upgrade, then all the windows updates. Add the AMD video card and install the latest non-beta 13.9 drivers, then do the Windows Store update to 8.1. This has a really good chance of reproducing the steps and issue. Once the issue is reproduced, it would seem Intel could start doing it's own testing instead of waiting on people here to give them more info.

I would actually do these steps myself to see if I can reproduce the issue. But I am worried about what would happen to my Windows 8 key if I try installing it on another hard drive for testing. And I am not going to spend over $100 for the retail Windows 8 since I am not building a new system right now. Intel has plenty of resources to do this testing. And I am sure they already have some AMD and Nvidia cards to test with. If then don't, then Intel completely missed the point of the RTM phase for testing.

0 Kudos
ESand3
Beginner

Hi Intel and hi everyone.

Hows the fixing going? I thing I got the same problem as all of this users.

Bad graphics, cheap screen look on my brand new Dell Inspiron 14 series 7437

with "HD" graphics , my PC's screen looks like my old one from like 10 years ago.

Its not very fun. But yet again who is to blame for it? Microsoft?

or Intel? Dell?( or any other PC manufacturer at this point)

What is going on? We are talking about companies , major companies,

leading companies in this industry, for years and years back.

Companies who worked together for a long time, and now we are stuck on a simple issue?

Or is it?...

1.Here is what I'm working on:

OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.130913-2141)

PC: Dell System Inspiron 14 7000 Series 7437

BIOS: A01

Processor: 4th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz

...... ...... ......

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 4400

Current driver: 10.18.10.3316

2.Here is my problem:

So like all of you I upgraded to Win 8.1. The upgrade took quite some time (even tho I have fast internet connection).

After all was dome I end it up with horrible screen look.

Big desktop icons. Big windows from applications, blurry text....

When I try to change the screen resolution it wont let me. Brings me back to the

recommended one, 1920 x 1080. Other thing, when I try to change the screen resolution from

Intel "HD" graphics control panel it works. You can change the screen resolution to other, but I still get bad screen look.

Big desktop icons, big windows from applications , blurry text and so on. Its very frustrating...

I have not been getting any Code 31 or Code 43 issues, but I still have the problem.

Also when I go Device Manager something that's called Inlel audio graphic its not working properly, my guess is that those drivers are HDIM drivers. I would defiantly like that fix as well.

3. Here how I try to fix this:

After reading all of your posts I try older versions of drivers.

Btw if you go to Microsoft and dell.com for drivers and support, they will both gave you different versions of drivers (Dell:10.18.10.3304, Microsoft: 9.18.10.3200), and also intel has different drivers as well, 10.18.10.3316.

Nothing worked. I've try other old drivers as well too. FAIL!!! When I try to uninstall the drivers win 8.1 installs drivers 3316 back automatically.

Very frustrating!!!! So i guess you need to shut down updates for that not to happen. I don't want to keep trying with older drivers. I don't want to mess up my system.

I will like a fast and effective fix. I have been having this problem for 2 days now but after searching the web I realized that this issue has been around for some time now.

Thanks for the hard work intel. I will also send this to Microsoft and I my case Dell too.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
blore1
Beginner

I realize you're a busy guy with a lot of stuff being thrown at you, nic, but it's pretty obvious that none of this is fixing anything for any of us. I know you're gathering information, but I'm confused about how there was so much lead time for this, and yet no stable release when win 8.1 came out.

0 Kudos