Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21079 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
PLe_F
Novice

serg1d, could be your problem from another nature but in our case very much related to the way Microsoft pushed the update. Latest driver from Intel works very well for me and many others, letting me to believe it is not related to the driver itself (at least in my case). Different configurations and setup might result in different problems.

0 Kudos
skos
Beginner

colargol,I am happy because you have no problems. but other people have them. 3282 intel driver works well with many, after updating windows 8-8.1! problems with the new driver.

Why blame microsoft? the problem is the software Intel.
0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

serg1d, we have been fighting and troubleshooting for more than a week until it works on our laptops. Wishing you our best to get your setup to work though happy to read you can still operate your machine with 3282.

0 Kudos
RThon
Novice

I have trouble with the "Intel Display Audio" driver which came with the driver pack.

All seems to work except for Dolby Digital Plus in the Netflix metro app or Internet Explorer for example.

The Netflix app and Internet explorer only pass sound to the receiver in PCM.

Dolby Digital Plus does work with Windows Media Player.

As do all the other formats.

When I revert to the generic Microsoft high definition audio driver then Dolby Digital Plus does work in the Netflix app.

I have tried installing older Intel Display Audio drivers, but that makes no difference in behaviour.

It looks like the web based programs cannot reach the driver for some kind of reason.

Additional info:

Hardware: Intel® NUC Kit DC3217IYE

Operating system: Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 Pro

With Windows 8 and the 3257 drivers it has worked ok.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 through the store trouble started.

Tried re-installing a fresh Windows 8 after that, but that did not make a difference.

All audio formats work fine in Windows Media Player and XBMC, just not from the Netflix metro app and Internet Explorer.

Message was edited by: Rob Thonus&# 13; &# 13; Added hardware info & OS info

0 Kudos
blore1
Beginner

I'm on a taichi 21 and I can't install the driver, as I'm told it's no good for the machine.

I'm currently using an old intel driver from ASUS because the flip screen control doesn't work on this computer now, thanks to win 8.1 and ASUS not bothering to make things work before the release.

Is this going to get fixed? Is there any plan to support all of us with these issues? Or are we just SOL?

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

I Brian Botkiller

I own myself an ASUS Taichi21 and like you I upgraded fom W8 to W8.1 and like you an bunch of us I got the same display problem after upgrading the existing (W8) intel driver to the new one 3316. Luckily I rolled back my new driver 3316 to my former 2857 driver and I solved my problem. I posted many time this information on this site. reverting (roll back to former driver) seems to work for us, ASUS Taichi21 Owner, but not for many of ours Friends. here.

What I ask to INTEL, can you please issue a driver that works for peoples that don't have two graphic card's on theirs machines, like us, and issue a new driver for people that have two graphic cards. at least a portion of us will be happy.

regards

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

First thing; it was detected in some of the logs you provided that there was a failure (in some case multiple failures) on Device Setup Manager to properly install automatic driver updates. We believe this might be the cause, or part of the cause - of your systems not functioning properly. I do not know currently if this would apply past the Code 31 or Code 43 issues - but it does not hurt to attempt the following resolution. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936

Follow the steps provided for Windows* Vista in the above article. If Method # 1 does not work, try Method # 2 located below it.

1. After you have done so, check your Windows* Update after a short while and see if it has located new downloads.

Regardless of whether it has or has not, restart your computer.
  2. If the issue is not resolved, uninstall your graphics driver and reboot.
  3. After reboot, re-install the graphics driver again
  4. Reboot again!
  5. Let me know what the result is for you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@RobbieT: I will look into this issue.

@brian botkiller: It does appear as though they have not released validated Windows* 8.1 drivers on your system, at least according to your systems support site. I would recommend trying to install our 3316 driver via the Manual Driver Installation method. Here is a guide on how to do that; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Desktop graphics drivers — How to manually install a driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

Thanks everyone!

-Nic

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Nic, just an FYI that I don't have the 0x8024402C error that you linked for the windows update issue. But I do have the Code 31 issue.

Update: As pointed out after my post, the link you gave is dated from 2008 and is for Windows 2000 through Vista and Server 2008. And while I do like to fix other issues, I don't see how solving this particular Update issue is going to solve the failing Intel driver code 31 and 43 issues. Unless you are saying that the 3316 driver on Intel's site is no good and that it doesn't match what Intel gave to Microsoft to distribute via Windows Update and yet used the same version number for that driver. If it's not the exact same driver, it shouldn't have the exact same version number. Regardless, the Intel supplied drivers do not work for a ton of us that did the Windows Store upgrade.

I am still blown away that these issues didn't show up if Intel truly did testing with AMD and Nvidia cards mixed in their systems during the RTM phase of 8.1

0 Kudos
MHans10
Beginner

Except those fixes are for XP and Vista. There are no fixes for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

nic wrote:

Hi everyone,

First thing; it was detected in some of the logs you provided that there was a failure (in some case multiple failures) on Device Setup Manager to properly install automatic driver updates. We believe this might be the cause, or part of the cause - of your systems not functioning properly. I do not know currently if this would apply past the Code 31 or Code 43 issues - but it does not hurt to attempt the following resolution. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936

Thanks everyone!

-Nic

Nic,

What updates are being missed? Are you talking about those Microsoft packages you asked about a 150 posts back? What does this have to do with the Intel driver listed in the first page of this thread?

can you be specific on what updates are being missed? It seems we are looping back to where we started with this, where it is everyone else's problem but Intel's.

Intel's driver if failing (error 31) or being stopped by windows (error 43), not AMD's, not NVIDIA's, not microsofts basic video, Intel's.

You guys need to own this problem and get it solved, not redirecting your customers, and in my opinion sending them on snipe hunts. (The Americans will get that reference)

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi nic,

For the ASUS Taichi21 owners, me and brian botkiller, I already tried the manual installation as the procedure but it won't work either. See my previous post around 22-10 about that. So for those that have this issue with theirs Taichi21 you may try it but good luck!

regards

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Shawn Lyman wrote:

Nic, just an FYI that I don't have the 0x8024402C error that you linked for the windows update issue. But I do have the Code 31 issue.

This post has been edited. Please follow the rules of the Community, specifically those stated in the start of the thread about constructive feedback.

0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

nic wrote:

I do not know currently if this would apply past the Code 31 or Code 43 issues - but it does not hurt to attempt the following resolution. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936

Follow the steps provided in the above article. If Method # 1 does not work, try Method # 2 located below it.

1. After you have done so, check your Windows* Update after a short while and see if it has located new downloads.

Regardless of whether it has or has not, restart your computer.
  2. If the issue is not resolved, uninstall your graphics driver and reboot.
  3. After reboot, re-install the graphics driver again
  4. Reboot again!
  5. Let me know what the result is for you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm surprised you linked a support issue from older operating systems. I assume you are suggesting these are similar steps to do in windows 8.1 however you should find the exact steps and create your own page/instructions not linking something else. You will just confuse the lesser tech guys...

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Nic,

I have already reported that I do not have the error,0x8024402C in my Event Viewer, so I do not think that on my computer the issue is connected. with malfunctioning of the Windows Update.

As reported I have an Intel motherboard DZ77GA-70K, so the BIOS is like the driver 3116 also Intel's. One would expect that the driver works correctly regardless of the BIOS settings that the user chooses. After all, the settings to be chosen depend on the user's needs and hardware, so the manufacturer should not prioritise that or other setting.

In my case, this is clearly not so. Using AMD beta driver, the driver 3116 works correctly when the primary graphic card is AMD's and the Intel graphics is also enabled, but it does not work correctly, when the Intel graphics acts as primary and the AMD card is also present. In both these cases, both graphic cards function together, so there must be something wrong both in the way the motherboard BIOS handles both cards and/or in the ensuing interaction of the respective drivers in the OS. Something similar was found by Linfas, who has probably (I am not sure) Asus Z77 and Z87 boards. In his case, you can argue that it is the Asus problem. But in my case both BIOS and the driver are yours, so there can be no excuse for not checking what is really happening.

0 Kudos
blore1
Beginner

Nope, that doesn't work, rolling back the taichi driver. It works briefly, but then screen flip stops, and you have to reboot, and usually that's every hour.

This is inane. I'm so sick of the buck passing here. WHO IS GOING TO FIX THIS?

0 Kudos
CS11
Beginner

My machine

Lenovo X1 Carbon Think Pad 64 bit

Kind of long- sorry but my solution on the bottom.

Last Week

After "upgrading" from Win8 to 8.1, my external monitor stopped working. Error 43 on the Intel HD 4000.

Lenovo remote into my machine for over an hour. No fix. Suggested I roll back to 8.0. (my restore point vanished after upgrade). That would mean I would have to reinstall my aps and everything else which I did not want to do.

MS escalated tech remote into my machine for over 2 hours. No help either. Suggested I roll back to 8.0.

Intel online Chat- No help. Said it was not "their" driver (machine shows Intel HD 4000 in device manager), and blamed the manufacturer 'because they tweak our drivers".

I was about to bite the bullet and revert back, waste another 4 hours reconfiguring, loading, restoring programs and files. I called my company "computer guy" and explained what I was experiencing. He suggested I try a new external Video Card.

MY SOLUTION.................

He brought over a J5create JUA310 USB to VGA External Video Card. Plugged it in, downloaded a driver off of the J5 website and it worked. Both external monitors at my office and house now work.

Here is the weird part- The error 43 warning on the driver (displayed in device manager) has disappeared.

I have no idea why downloading a 3rd party driver would fix what Lenovo,MS or Intel could not fix but it worked. I wasted over 40 hours on this problem as I could not get any real work done using the laptop display.

The solutions from Nic I read on this thread would be comedic if it were not so bloody irresponsible.

Nic- please contact J5 and see what is imbedded in their drivers that you guys are missing.

Cris

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

You're right, those steps are not for Windows* 8 or 8.1 - this might confuse users that cannot find the equivalent steps in Windows* 8.1. However, I would like to point out that the steps listed in the section for Windows* Vista are the same as those required for Windows* 8.1. I will append this to my previous post. As far as whether this is guaranteed to resolve the problem or not; it is not a guarantee. This is a suggestion that was presented by Engineering after researching the log files you provided. Do not shoot the messenger!

If you do not intend to test these steps though, that is fine. The more response I can get on the effectiveness of the proposed solution though, the quicker we can get back to the drawing board if it does not resolve the issue.

As far as reproducing the issue; we have only been able to reproduce Code 43. Code 31 is still in the works, and there are folks working on it. We have attempted using the same system configuration presented by vsslo, quietkid61, and FinnGus. The respective issues on these systems (Code 43, Code 31 and another Code 43) did not occur. So far we've had success with Code 43 on a single system, that is all. If this were as simple as "use the same configuration and it will happen", we would not be so intent on prodding the operating system for issues.

Also, please do not break the rules as stated at the beginning of the thread. Constructive feedback is completely accepted, name calling, incendiary insults, etc - are not.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
SBarn6
Novice

As far as reproducing the issue; we have only been able to reproduce Code 43. Code 31 is still in the works, and there are folks working on it.

What about the folks who only have the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4xxx chipset (no secondary video card), that have no brightness control, no sleep function, no external monitor, etc. with the 3316 driver?

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi Brian

Taichi21

Sorry that it don't work for you. Just to be sure that you rolled back to the good driver. the former driver version under W8 is: 9.17.10.2857 or the one that I have now on my Taichi21: 9.17.10.2963 that work well too.

The file is: VGA_Intel_Taichi_Win7_64_Win8_64_Z917102857.zip On Asus website support.

Hoppe that help

regards

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi brian botkiller:

We used our lead time well, we had two rounds of beta drivers after the RTM version was announced. We used these two beta's to develop the 3316 driver, again on the RTM version, tested, validated, etc etc. Windows* 8.1 launched, and its as if it was nowhere near the same as the RTM version everyone had access to. We don't know what changed other than a few updates, not sure what happened. Basically we had a fully functional working driver that everyone tested, including myself - on the Windows* 8.1 RTM preview. Then BOOM! Everyone is running into issues on launch day and the following weekend. We are informed that there are these issues right after the weekend, and are completely unable to get the same problems to happen.

It makes it extra difficult when so many users report issues we cannot see. We have the one system with Code 43 that's being heavily investigated, but since it; so far - has not been diagnosed as a graphics driver issue, we now have to go through the operating system, 3rd party graphics, 3rd party graphics drivers, trying to figure out what did what and when. Right now we're cross-evaluating user submitted logs with the systems we have (including our one and only bugged system) trying to figure out what they have in common.

So as far as your question goes; we don't know why our driver functioned just fine with the Windows* 8.1 RTM preview build, but now all of the sudden does not work for anyone (except for us) on the launched Windows* 8.1. What changed between RTM and release? Why is it not happening to everyone in the world? (If it were, we would know!) Why can we not even see the issue when using the same hardware and drivers? All of this is under investigation. What we can tell you is that the more information we collect from you guys - the better idea we have of identifying and resolving the issue.

@Everyone:

On that note; if you have not submitted your logs/event viewer file - please do so! Instructions for that are here; /message/211042# 211042 https://communities.intel.com/message/211042# 211042

I would like to also make a special request; We are doubly so - looking for user logs where the user has literally only; installed the Windows* 8.1 OS, and then installed 3316. The logs as they are, are very jumbled and cluttered - and the Engineering team is having trouble deciphering them. If you can provide this type of log, please post it here.

Thanks!

-Nic

0 Kudos
CS11
Beginner

Corsican1 wrote:

Hi Brian

Taichi21

Sorry that it don't work for you. Just to be sure that you rolled back to the good driver........

I would advise that rolling back to a previous driver version should be done with caution.

Both MS tech and Lenovo tried this on my machine and the laptop display black screened. I had to do a hard power off and reboot into safe mode afterwards.

0 Kudos