Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
CHoll6
Beginner
0 Kudos
AMill24
Beginner

I have tried all methods, including the new safe mode/.zip file, with no success. I do have all windows updates installed that were listed (a screenshot seems unnecessary). I upgraded to Win 8.1 from Win 8 on release day from the Windows Store. The process took less than an hour.

Have any of these purported 'troubleshooting' solutions been proven in-house or for any user? I feel like we are being asked to test unproven solutions, which is time consuming and frustrating. Please qualify future proposed 'fixes' with how they were tested and corrected the issue at hand. Thank you.

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Aaron_M wrote:

Have any of these purported 'troubleshooting' solutions been proven in-house or for any user? I feel like we are being asked to test unproven solutions, which is time consuming and frustrating. Please qualify future proposed 'fixes' with how they were tested and corrected the issue at hand. Thank you.

This seems to be the monkey in the wrench for all of this, nic (the intel (guy?)) Seems unable to reproduce this in the lab. He mentioned in his more recent post that they are now using the store streaming update, and still cannot get this to occur.

I Am not sure what that means, some of us have discrete graphics cards on top of the intel, others do not, so I have no clue wtf happened, but all I know is it got broken catastrophically with the 8.1 update for a lot of us.

0 Kudos
SBarn6
Novice

BUG: Brightness Control disabled and Sleep not working

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer: Lenovo P400 Touch

Power Button: set to Sleep for both battery and plugged-in

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each driver version was installed after a complete uninstall and file deletion of the previous driver. Here are the results of the brightness and sleep functions with each driver:

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter v6.3.9600.16384

Brightness Control: YES

Sleep Button: NO - after ~ 15 second delay powers OFF

Intel HD Graphics 4000 v9.17.10.2932 - Lenovo download

Brightness Control: YES

Sleep Button: NO - powers OFF in HIBERNATE mode

Intel HD Graphics 4000 v10.18.10.3282 BETA - Intel download

Brightness Control: NO

Sleep Button: NO - sleeps for 10-30 seconds then powers back ON

Intel HD Graphics 4000 v10.18.10.3316 - Intel download

(ZIP version, manual install, disconnected from Internet)

Brightness Control: NO

Sleep Button: YES - sleep works correctly NO - sleeps for 10 seconds to1 minute then powers back ON (Edited)

Although brightness control and sleep are both important for a mobile laptop, if I have to choose I value the sleep function a bit more over the brightness function, so the latest .3316 driver will have to do for now and just hope that a subsequent Intel driver release or Microsoft Windows 8.1 update will restore the brightness function.

EDIT: I guess I jumped the gun. Although after the last driver install it was first in sleep mode for several minutes before I manually took it out of sleep and thought it was working OK, apparently that was a fluke and it is consistently now only remaining in sleep mode for 15 seconds to a minute exiting sleep and returning to ON.

Sigh.

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi! you know what?

Imagine only one minute that the poor guy who for the first time of his life own a PC based computer and facing a small problem like this one, no, no, no. This is not normal, we are discussing around a driver thread we are a bunch of pseudo geek discussing and discussing without solving nothing.

Sorry to tell you that even if I am a PC maniac since 1981. But sincerely I understand peoples that quit and goes to Apple. They don't really have such troubles.

We are helping Intel in searching where is the problem. Seriously theses peoples are paid to solve our problems. not the reverse.

We buy PC computers meaning that we pay developers and finally we have to help them to solve their problems that we have already paid to resolve.

End of the discussion

0 Kudos
RSing22
Beginner

Upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows Store

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K

I have followed all the steps but the driver crashes my pc.

Download Windows 8.1 Intel HD driver Version 3316 from the link posted.

Uninstalled previous Intel driver then it switched to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Extracted the zip file and ran the setup exe file

This is what happens

Also tried Have disk method in normal and safe mode but still doesn't work

then I get SYSTEM_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Then I have to restore it

I do have those updates installed

0 Kudos
DLin29
Beginner

Same issues here with UX31A. Ver 3308 & Ver 3316 are giving me video glitches when its plugged in. ASUS technical support sent me a link to install V9.17.10.2875.01, but that did not work either. For now, I have it set as Basic Microsoft Display Driver, but the video refresh isn't optimal & I am unable to adjust the brightness setttings.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

A bit of explanation as to what/why I have been asking for the things I have been;

1. Special Instructions # 1 are to isolate the possibility that the driver provided via Windows* Update is different than the one we provide. Sometimes our drivers are posted on Windows* Update by OEM's who have made customizations to them - but since we verify that it is our specific drivers that work properly, we cannot ensure that the driver provided by Windows* Update is the same.

2. Special Instructions # 2 are to verify that there is not an issue with the recent Windows* 8.1 changes and how they interact with our installer. The best way to do this is to not use it, and use the Manual Driver Installation method (formerly known as Have Disk).

3. Special Instructions # 3 are to verify if the issue is happening only our latest driver, or if it happens with other Windows* 8.1 tested drivers. 3282 was the preview beta driver which was first tested on the RTM build of Windows* 8.1 - and we knew it worked (minor bugs aside). However, it has been reported here that even testing with 3282 is not resolving the issue, which verified that there are differences between the update you downloaded upon Windows* 8.1 launch, and the version we validated the drivers on.

4. Information we're collecting... I want to know how you installed your update. You might have had a retail disk, or were using the .ISO provided by MSDN (which is what we first tested with) - this helped us identify the possibility that there were differences between the version of Windows* 8.1 you downloaded, and the one we used (which became obvious when it was determined that you cannot upgrade from the MSDN .ISO to 8.1 unless you have the 8.1 ISO like we do).

5. Are you using a 3rd party graphics card in addition to our own? I ask this because with Windows* 8.1, control of Switchable Graphics is relinquished to the operating system, whereas before it was controlled by the driver. We know that our driver properly allows the OS to assume control of SG, but cannot verify that for 3rd party cards. This could potentially cause all sorts of problems, so we had to verify that users with multi-GPU systems were updated on all their drivers, and that the latest provided by their 3rd party were Windows* 8.1 ready.

6. Lastly, the KB updates I've listed were some of those that were launched by Microsoft* over the weekend. If you had not installed them since you updated to 8.1 last week, it might be one of the issues they had resolved. At this time we've had users who reported they have all of those updates installed, but still experience the issue - that means it was not those particular updates.

I hope this cleared up some of the confusion . We will continue looking into this again today, but please keep providing the information I have asked for if you have not already.

Thank you,

-Nic

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Nic, as it's been said before. Many of use are frustrated that you are asking us to do the testing without you doing the testing FIRST. Even with this explination post of yours, it seems that Intel (or you), has NOT been replicating and testing this BEFORE you ask us to test it. Intel should be doing the testing, finding a solution that works, and THEN asking us to try the new driver.

If you google the issue, ALL of the people that I have seen with the issue, are people that did the upgrade from the Windows Store. Affecting many brands and DIY built systems.

The high-level steps for this is simple. Replicate the issue, then test solutions in-house, find the solution, THEN ask for people to test. And finally, once Intel feels the solution is final; release the updated driver.

3316 driver (either one) + Windows 8.1 upgrade from the Windows Store = COMPLETELY Broken. Today is the 1 week mark since the release of 8.1 in the Windows Store and I don't even feel confident that Intel is even working on this. Simply, a NEW driver needs to be created. The solution is NOT in how to install 3316.

0 Kudos
NSpla
Beginner

BUG:

Nic, greetings, my name is also Nic! Cool to see someone else with my name spelled the same way for once!

Anyways, here is what I have for you, my relevant hardware is as follows:

Intel Core i5-3570K, clocked at 5.13 GHz

MSI Z77A-G45

Crossfire (two) Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB

5 monitors, 3 of which driven by one amd card, 2 of which driven by integrated.

What's going on:

I had Windows 8 installed, and everything was happy. I then performed a clean install of Windows 8.1 the night of it's release. I left the drivers that were included for the HD 4000, and installed the latest stable versions from AMD for my 7870's. Everything still worked fine as of last night with all available updates from Windows installed. To fix a tearing issue in game with my 7870's, I installed the latest beta drivers for them from AMD, and now I am experiencing a problem where my HD 4000 powered displays do not work, and are not detected. I have followed your special instructions, and nothing seems to work. Shortly, I am going to uninstall the beta drivers for the 7870's and repeat the special instructions to see if I can restore functionality. I will edit this post if I am done before you reply, or make a new reply with results if you do before I come back. Attached are my installed updates:

UPDATE: I merely uninstalled AMD's beta driver, and re-installed the latest stable AMD driver, that's it, everything works again. I don't suppose this means it's now AMD's problem? Or is it incompatibility with Intel's driver as well? Please advise

0 Kudos
DPing1
Beginner

I also have them all

-SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS # 2- 

EDIT: If you followed the above steps and your issue was still not resolved - please inform us of such, and try the below method.

• Download the .ZIP version of the driver (links at the top)
  • Disconnect your computer from the internet
  • Verify that Windows* Update is turned off
  • Uninstall all previous versions of the driver (follow Step 2 in the first set of instructions)
  • Reboot your computer into 'Safe Mode' (usually done by pressing F8 during system boot)
  • Install the driver via the http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Manual Driver Installation (formerly have disk) method

I did this but it still installed the 10.x version instead of the new 15.x version

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Special Steps # 2

None of that worked, was able to successfully remove driver components with internet unplugged, and install drivers in safe mode, but in a working environment, both driver packages fail.

I am feeling a bit like Al Pacino in Heat when he goes to the chop shop to talk to that criminal "DON'T WASTE MY BLANKITY BLANK TIME!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhLO3SRyXU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhLO3SRyXU)

That was 30 minutes of doing this and posting this that I could have been doing something else. This inconvenience is turning into quite a hassle now.

Message was edited by: Linflas

0 Kudos
GHenr2
Novice

No point for me to repeat what Linflas above has put in pictures, as well as in writing.

I can only summarize that my ASUS UX31A sports the same problems. I've tried all steps; # 1, # 2 and # 3 to no avail.

I can update to the recommended drivers (both 3316 and 3282) in disconnected state, but they fail after the reboot and give me code 43.

Note also that the updates that "were released this weekend" according to NIC in # 56 actually have an earlier update date (9/29), which can be verified from the legion of printscreens that have been provided, so they are not as fresh as implied.

And BTW, my update was made through Windows Store, no drivers were fetched separately at the time and the update lasted maybe three hours 20.00-23.00 CET (I didn't time it, so it's a guess).

The only suggestion from ASUS was that I should refresh the installation and start anew with the newest drivers - but I'll be darned if I do that before I start hearing permanent fixes. No point in waisting hours in something that might work...I've a company to run!

RPasq1
Beginner

Hi! FinnGus

Forget about ASUS support. When I called them for this problem they told me that they don't know how to solve the problem and the best thing to do, if the notebook was working fine before, is to rollback my Asus Taichi21 to his factory default. that is what I have done. Painful operation..........

Finally I reinstalled W8.1 but with the former driver that worked under W8 and everything is working fine for my Taichi21.

I am waiting now for people from Intel and Windows solve, for good this issue. I am tired to explain my problem or our problems.

best regards

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Corsican1,

You just re-installed Windows 8.1 you say? If so, can you try out 3316 and let me know if it is broken? I would like to hear from someone who has the ability to test both instances of the Windows* 8.1 update. Sadly we can only test the new one (which has no issues for us) since we did not have the update from last week.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

nic wrote:

Hi Corsican1,

You just re-installed Windows 8.1 you say? If so, can you try out 3316 and let me know if it is broken? I would like to hear from someone who has the ability to test both instances of the Windows* 8.1 update. Sadly we can only test the new one (which has no issues for us) since we did not have the update from last week.

Thanks,

-Nic

Hmmm, Nic, are you saying that you are not able to replicate the issue we are having with 3316? Seems that should be easy given the huge range of systems this is affecting.

1. Just grab some 3rd gen i5 or i7 series Windows 8 system with HDMI port,

2. make sure it's up to date with Windows updates and using the latest Windows 8 Intel HD 4000 series driver (Sept I think).

3. Make sure automatic driver updates are off.

4. Apply the 8.1 upgrade from the Windows Store.

5. Apply the 3316 driver directly from Intel.

And you should have code 31 with no HDMI display access and all the other broken video issues. Sounds like Intel replicating the issue is the main problem here. How can Intel create a new working driver if Intel can not even replication such a mass spread issue?

0 Kudos
PHick2
Beginner

I have a Sony Vaio DUO 11. I spoke with Sony about this and they have seen the exact issue with all their customers. The "Store Updated" Windows 8.1 install completely breaks all recent Intel Video drivers in the 4000 HD series. They even went as far as removing the last 2 updates from their site for the Intel 4400 HD Display so that people on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 can actually use their devices until Intel gets their crap together. They have had conversations with Intel and agreed the driver they provided is not functioning with 8.1....

I can work, but I have no ability to connect to my USB 3.0 Targus dock and my HDMI connected graphics are terrible. I'm using a driver thats almost 2 years old.

This is obviously an Intel issue. GET IT FIXED!!!

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi nic

In fact when I said I just reinstalled W8.1, I reinstalled it during the last week-end (I have literally translated my French language speaking in English) so meaning that I have not done this installation of W8.1 yesterday or today.

Yesterday, what I have done is to apply all the long procedure, words for words that you gave to everybody in your post 2013-10-23 2:09 pm and unfortunately it wont works at all, nor the manual (have disk part of this procedure)

The 3316, from intel (the one in the procedure) was not working. for me, the only driver that works is the former one working with W8 that I reinstalled after I upgraded to W8.1.

Regards

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

@Shawn Lyman: Yes, the steps you have listed are the ones we've already tried - again, we are not experiencing any issues with brightness control, multiple displays, error codes in device manager, etc. Hence our problem. As far as your previous post - we cannot test this particular issue ourselves, because we do not have a system that was updated with the version of the OS that was provided on the launch day for Windows* 8.1. When we did our testing with the upgrade provided OS yesterday, it did not run into issues. That means we can test for the newer upgrade version, but not the one that everyone else seems to have - which is the one that was provided Day 01.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

I will have to double check, but I thought people were having issues with 8.1 update even if it was downloaded and installed from the Windows Store after 10/17? I thought I saw some people that did the update this week and had the issue. That is a really big claim to say that Microsoft has changed the 8.1 upgrade since it's release just 1 week ago. I know they had/have issues with the RT (arm) version of 8.1 and that was pulled by Microsoft right away. But that is completely different than the x86 architecture 8.1 version.

I don't have a laptop with Windows 8.1, so the only issue I have is that I can't use my HDMI port with my 3rd Gen i7-3770K HD 4000 using the 3316 drivers. No brightness issues. Though I know Switchable graphics setups can be very picky about drivers.

I am trying to do research now about the 8.1 update being different now versus on 10/17. That should be extremely easy to verify if anyone has the 10/17 download and a new download to check the SHA hash. With the issues regarding RT and how quickly MS owned the issue, I would be shocked if MS was trying to hide any changes to the non-RT update. Just saying. I really wish I had a spare system to mess with. I would love to install 8 and try the Windows Store 8.1 upgrade again to see if I could replicate the issue as well.

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi nic,

I have a simple suggestion:

Go and buy one of each of the 8 or 9 model of computers listed in all the posts, upgrade to W8.1 like we have done all of us.

At this point I am sure you'll get the same issues that all we have.

After that applies your own procedure or find a solution and when you'll find this solution, please post it for the community.

For Intel is nothing than to spent few dollars. I am sure that theses small expenses doesn't affect Intel shares (NASDAQ).

Best regards

0 Kudos