Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20697 Discussions

Windows 8* Consumer Preview in-box graphics driver feedback

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Please share your experience with the Windows 8* Consumer Preview in-box graphics driver here.

34 Replies
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

This occurs when using a graphics card in a DIY system so there must be a way to eliminate it. I've seen almost no mention of it on the internet. I don't recall if it showed up with integrated graphics on DG45ID but it is more pronounced with Windows 8 and an HD6670 card. It isn't a problem unless your seeing it other than at startup. Most interestingly a display port connection eliminates the issue completely.

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

Sorry I was responding to thatoneguy about the crazy screen. Issues beyond startup may have to do with the board driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've been running windows 8 with the integrated graphics on the i3570k and the asus p8z77v-pro mobo with the latest bios. I have the latest driver which was released about a month ago. Only thing that goes wrong is that when I put the PC to sleep and then wake it back up, all the graphics get messed up. It looks like an old VHS tape with colorful horizontal lines all over the place

It appears the problem is not only associated with sleep/wake. Today powering on my PC I am still experiencing the issue with the horizontal lines all over the screen. Not sure exactly what triggers this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Will their ever be an update for the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset on the windows 8 Release Preview?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

For the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset, only inbox drivers with Windows 8 will be provided. They may be updated at Microsofts discretion.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert

I am also having the same HD 3000 full screen issue. (dell inspiron i5 n5110)

My laptop is dell inspiran i5 n5110. Recently installed win 8 consumer preview.

My full screen display is not working.

Following are the issues

------------------------

1. powerpoint full screen view (slide show), does not work

2. bubbles screensaver does not open

3. Media player dows not work - cannot watch movies

My Intel HD driver is - inrel (R) graphics 3000, and I updated BIOS to N5110A11

latest version

Kindly help me to fix this issue. Apriciate your feedback

Best Regards

Gayan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi! I don't know how to make post so I post here my issue and please Intel developers help me!

I have a Notebook: Acer Aspire 5730Z

Windows 7 worked fine

Windows vista; always some problems

Windows 8 RELEASE PREVIEW!

All works well but i have few issues:

Installed some Windows 7 drivers and others are Windows 8 drivers!

Graphic drivers:

AMD's graphic driver for Windows 8 release/consumer preview, I do not have AMD video card but AMD's qraphic drivers gives better performance for my laptop!

Mobile Intel Graphic driver didn't work!

When I'm running: system rating it gives me this message:Windows Experience Index Could not be Computed

I'm using Win8 Release preview, previous system was Windows 7 where all worked fine, just freezed sometimes!

my laptop specifications:

Processor / Speed Intel® Pentium® dual-core mobile processor T3200/T3400 (1 MB L2 Cache, 2/2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture. Core Logic Chipset Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset.System Bus Speed 667 MHz.RAM / Max RAM Up to 2 GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory, upgradable to 4 GB using two soDIMM modules.Video Subsystem Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (Intel® GMA 4500M) with up to 1759 MB of Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory), supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please release 8.15.10.2548 (for 945, 965 and others) driver with opengl support.

I use this driver that came with windows 8 in my Thinkpad T61 notebooks with windows 7 (X3100/GM965) and the driver works well. The only problem is the lack of opengl support.

Most of the graphics drivers that came with windows or windows update are doesn't supporting opengl. I think this is an MS policy for defeating opengl, because at the last 14 years all embedded drivers had lack of opengl support. So, please release this driver in intel download center.

There is an issue with the older driver from the year 2009, that I posted here:

FP_
Novice

as azbest said, intel need to release new drivers for the 965 family. the opengl suport need to be fixed as it doesn't work anymore on windows 8 most recent releases.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

i am on an intel hd4500 series 4 graphic adapter and my acer 1420p screen rotation adapter is not working. I installed the intel drivers and the st-micro screen detection ones, in device manager everything is fine.

but it seems that the auto ration is only working with the intel driver gui, all thensettings we normaly have with windows7 driver package.

anyone else with autorotating display having this issue? maybe how to solve this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

robert_u my dell inspiron n5110 runs the 2nd gen intel processors and has an intel 3000 graphics. Windows 8 displays blank screen after boot. if I use external monitor, I am able to see windows 8. I have tried latest drivers for Windows 8 and they are not solving issue... please recheck your drivers since they dont seem to be detecting the mobile screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've got a Core i3-530 processor, using onboard graphics. Running Windows 8 Consumer Preview as well as RTM, with the latest Windows Updates installed, fonts in many programs are blurry. For example in Firefox, the text in the address bar, menus, etc., is blurry, whereas the text on the actual webpage is not. Happens in other apps too. Problem doesn't exist in Windows 7. Tried with both ClearType on and off (I prefer off as fonts look crisper for me).

0 Kudos
FP_
Novice

Hi, i've installed Windows 8 a few days ago, all went good except that when i try to run games that requires OpenGL it won't let me. At first, when i installed the drivers it worked but after i restart the computer e.g, when i load the game it gives me an error.

Plus, when i try to run the Windows Experience Index it won't finish as well. Always stuck at Direct3D 10 Texture Load Assessment.

I've tried all ways i know, but no good. Compatibility (im using the last for Windows 7), run the drivers through device manager, etc etc... so, any help?

idata
Employee

Yes, you can get things like OpenGL 2.1 support for Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset) working on Windows 8 simply by downgrading to the previous Windows 7 drivers!

The in-box drivers for Windows 8 Driver for Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) are version 8.15.10.2702, which only supports OpenGL 1.1 (checking with tools such as GLView). This means you can't play games like Minecraft or Angry Birds, even though you could play them under Windows 7.

The solution is to roll back to the latest Windows 7 drivers, version 8.15.10.2555.

To do this you need to modify the installation INF file to allow installation on Windows 8 and then use advanced reboot to allow Windows 8 to install the unsigned driver. See instructions at http://tachisalopex.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/windows-8-and-intel-graphics-driver.html TachisAlopex: Windows 8 and Intel graphics driver to patch the INF file, but I just used General - Advanced startup in the Windows 8 settings to load the unsigned driver.

Seeing as the Windows 7 drivers version 2555 work fine in Windows 8 with Open GL 2.1 support, I can't understand why the official version 2702 Windows 8 drivers removed it.

Sly

0 Kudos