Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Windows Update vs. Intel Driver and Support Assistant

henroques
Beginner

Hello,

I hope you are well!

Since a week ago, Windows Update and Intel Driver and Support Assistant have been fighting for my attention, which is rather both annoying and worrisome.

Windows Update wants to install the Graphics driver 31.0.101.3729 (Display in Windows terms).

Intel Driver and Support Assistant wants to install the Graphics driver 31.0.101.3959.

The vicious-cycle goes like this:

a) Intel Driver and Support Assistant is always popping-up stating that I have an update.

b) So, I do update the drivers, and reboot my laptop.

c) Afterwards, Windows installs (automatically) this downgrade, popping-up a notice that I need to restart.

d) After restarting, it goes back to a) where Intel Driver and Support Assistant is always popps-up a notice for an update.

I already disabled the automatic driver update for Windows, in hope that this issue for these two specific versions would  go away.

Unfortunately, it did not. Windows update still installs automatically this Graphics / Display drivers, despite me disabling that option.

This is both (1) annoying because after each update the computer wants to restart, and (2) worrisome because this behavior does not convey to me the overall finish quality of an Intel product.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you in advance!

I wish you a great holiday season 🙂

Cheers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Whizzard
Beginner

Same goes here from the future 2023. This issue seems not resolved yet until now.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @henroques 

You may stop automatic driver update using Windows Group Policy which is available in Windows Pro version. However, if you are using Windows Home edition, use the Registry method, described in the same article.

Leon

0 Kudos