Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20821 Discussions

Windows media center and intel 4600 graphics live tv stutter

MKlei8
Novice

I am using a Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H mother board with the Intel I5 4430 LGA1150 Processor Built in 4600 GPU.

This was a New build with Windows 7 32bit as a HTPC.

During Live tv some channels like HBO or AMC seem to stutter pause, audio becomes out of sync and generally jumpy and un watchable. There was a Flashing that occurred with the stutter but turning off the automatic contrast seems to have solved that problem.

Despite the fact that the ticket i opened 8000886838 was answered by Warner that such functionality doesn't exist with Intel. I was finally able to locate it within the HD Graphics Control program.

I have done a lot of research on the issue and some call it a 29/59 frame rate issue. Most people though are able to alleviate the problem simply by turning off the adaptive contrast control. Others have given up and simply buy an additional graphics card.

I would rather be able to fix the issue and use the on board graphics.

Is there any steps I can take that would help the issue. Older drivers maybe. Settings I am unaware of. Reg Key's that might help?

Speaking of the drivers, included with the graphics driver is the Audio driver to take the audio over the HDMI cable. When the system goes to sleep however that driver seems to crash during wakeup and a reboot is needed to get audio back on the HDMI cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

A couple issues in this thread and it's difficult to separate them so I'll just answer both here.

1. Video playback stutters or "glitches" in Windows Media Center when frame rate changes occur (5643022)

This has been reported as an application bug by Microsoft in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140 KB_2658140. A case was opened internally to investigate if we could work around this bug via the Intel graphics driver. The investigation determined that due to the nature of this issue a workaround in the Intel graphics driver is technically unfeasible.

2. Chrome freezing when playing YouTube videos using HTML5 (7432330)

As Robert /message/290445# 290445 mentioned before:

For the folks seeing video stuttering/corruption with YouTube using HW rendering on Hybrid Graphics systems with 4K display when using Chrome, Chrome player is not optimized for 4k playback, there is significant overhead on both CPU and GPU side resulting in the stuttering issue.

- Appended 04/05/16 -

3. Video flicker seen during premium channel playback (6493253)

There is a flicker/stutter during premium channel playback which has been determined as being affected by the "Advanced Contrast Enhancement" or ACE feature. To be clear, this is different than the WMC app bug mentioned above which Intel cannot work around in our driver. To work around this ACE issue, please disable ACE in the CUI when experiencing this issue by going to Video>Advanced>Color Enhancement>Disable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
60 Replies
MEdmu
Beginner

allan_intel, would having the community buy the engineering department one of the following help to move this forward? How else are they going to test this unless they acquire a tuner card that demonstrates the issue?

http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Hybrid-Volar-Windows-MTVHVMXSK/dp/B002U6KT8U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409667595&sr=8-4&keywords=tv+tuner Amazon.com: Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit for Windows MTVHVMXSK: Electronics
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the update. I will inform this matter to our engineering team.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MEdmu
Beginner

I've just tested driver version 10.18.10.3907 that Microsoft pushed out. I did notice that the Windows Experience Index Graphics index improved by 0.1, but I'm still having the same frame corruption issues in Windows Media Center Live TV.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
JToma2
Beginner

I am experiencing exactly same behavior at my WMCE as describing by mmortal03.

HBO, HBO Comedy and some more channels screens are damaged in very similar way as screen capture from mmortal03 shows. I would like to get some advices how to how to remove this error and watch these premium channels.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

janto. At this point, this matter has been escalated to our engineering team. If there is any update, I will come back here.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MEdmu
Beginner

Please let them know that I have just tested version 10.18.10.3960, and the problem still persists. Like I said before, I'd be willing to buy a tuner out of my own pocket and send it to the engineering team if it would help them with their testing. I purchased an Intel-based machine with the assumption that it would work for the specific purpose of tuning HDTV, and now am stuck with something that doesn't work, and with no evidence other than your word that anyone on the engineering team is actually even giving it a look.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Yes, our team is working on this matter. I still do not have an update.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JPerk4
Beginner

Hi Allan.

Please pass on to the engineers that i'm experiencing the very same issue on an Intel NUC with 4400 Graphics (BOXD34010WYKH).

Windows 8.1, latest BIOS and drivers.

I'd like to see this issue get some priority. NUCs are ideal for HTPCs but not while this problem exists.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
MEdmu
Beginner

I have just tested version 10.18.14.4080, and the problem still persists. I originally reported this issue almost 11 months ago. Has no word been received from the engineering department on a solution?

0 Kudos
MEdmu
Beginner

I've just tested 10.18.14.4156. Same problems.

0 Kudos
MEdmu
Beginner

I've just tested 10.18.14.4170. Same corruption issues.

0 Kudos
JVanD
Beginner

Allan,

It's been half a year since your last response and one year and three months since this thread started. The issue still exists and it ruins the experience of watching video.

Do you have an update? Better yet, has the engineering team reproduced the issue, acknowledged it, and have progress in fixing it? It's clear this issue isn't a priority to fix, but I think we should've had something in our hands since it's been over a year since being reported to Intel.

If you can't answer these questions or get the engineering team to put any priority on this, then can you please direct me to who can?

0 Kudos
JVanD
Beginner

Good work, Allan! You really came through on this one. If I ever need to depend on somebody to complete something they started in the future, I'll be sure to keep you on a short list.

For instance, if I was given venom by an evil mastermind which impaired my abilities to feed mysrelf, and the only cure requires 12 doses of a specific antidote... you'd probably be the guy I'd ask to administer it to me. Now, part of me thinks, "If it's Allan is anyway as reliable as he was in that thread about video stuttering with improper metadata, we'll probably get to dose 7 and he'll just stop coming by and leave me to perish. Wait a second, I don't think he ever even gave me doses 1 through 6... I think he just said he'd have his engineering team do it, and then emitted a soft chuckle behind the scenes and actually told nobody. Well, who knows because absolutely nothing came of it, so now we can only speculate since Allan no longer comes around."

But then the other part of me thinks, "Surely, Allan got hired by Intel for a reason... right? I mean, Intel is one of the top fortune 500 companies. No doubt they hire talented and driven individuals. The kind of person that can commit to facilitating communication to and from the engineers behind the scenes. A person that sees to it that the end-users aren't left hanging to dry and with the feeling that Intel could give two craps about them. Not only all that, but a compassionate person who realizes that many of the nerds that post here have abandonment issues because their parents wanted nothing to do with a first-class chuck head. Therefore, Allan would never continue the trend and abandon us... that has to be true!"

I'm torn right now. I want to believe option 2, but your actions make me think that the evil mastermind is going to be woefully successful in all of his venom'ing he is running around doing. Damn this issue, Allan, damn it to HECK. It's tearing us apart! I only wanted things to work out for us... I only wanted the best. I press the 'Add Reply' button now with tears in my eyes... you've taught me to lose faith in humanity... you've taught me to never love again.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

@ JeanClaudeVanDamme, thank you for your comments; however, this matter was escalated to our engineering team. If you noticed on post 39, Robert, on April 9th mentioned that some of the problems are still under investigation.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JVanD
Beginner

Allan!! Happy to hear from you. I'd buy you a fruit cake, but they're overly sweet and not good for your teeth.

Has the engineering team made any progress is solving this issue? I'm sure they've had it replicated for a while now since it's easy to reproduce. Would you mind following up with them to see where they're at?

I do see that Robert said that, but it was just a side note to all the Youtube issues he was mentioning. Plus, it wasn't you 😉

0 Kudos
THerr5
Beginner

Prez808, thanks for your solution here! I have a Windows 8.1 machine with an I5 chip, 8 Gb of RAM, and intel 4600 graphics and following your instructions solved my Windows Media Center live TV stuttering problem. Many thanks and hopefully others are able utilize this solution too. I alleviated MUCH frustration as my new rig has suffered from stuttering since I bought it about 6 months ago and it has been getting worse so I was forced to peruse the forums and consider buying a new graphics card. But this appears to have solved the issue at least for the couple hours of non-stutter TV I had last night for the first time in months. I'll report back if things change.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Good to hear that information has worked on your computer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
RGabr
Novice

I am also experiencing this problem, even for YouTube videos with only 2 audio channels. It appears that there are driver issues on many configurations (maybe 4K only? or using scaling?) The issues have existed for at least 6 months. Switching to the dedicated Nvidia GPU in my laptop seems to resolve the issue for me so that seems to indicate it's an Intel problem. I would appreciate a more timely resolution. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JDean1
Beginner

I too have this problem

Core i5-4460 / hd4600 graphics

8GM RAM 1600 MHz

Yes even watching youtube videos it is QUITE apparent that there are missing frames and the stuttering is most obvious when watching

side to side motion...it looks TERRIBLE!

I just bought an OEM Dell 3847 to replace my ancient HP Pavilion 7955 with an old nVida TNT riva 64 graphic card!

My old system has NO issues with stuttering at ALL and it is 13 years old!

OK, Intel where is the engineering team on this the problem, it has been around for a LONG time now and needs to be addressed.

0 Kudos