Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

XTU reporting wrong amount of RAM for a GTX2070 (GV-N2070WF2-8GD).

automous
Beginner

xtu_gtx2070_wrong_ram_2.pngxtu_gtx2070_wrong_ram_1.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello automous, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you, please provide the following information:

•  What is the model of your processor?
  • What is your operating system and its build?

When talking about the graphics memory reported, it is important to highlight that Intel® XTU is not designed to report/monitor third-party hardware. In this situation, the information that the tool is providing about this NVIDIA® Graphics card may not be accurate.

I would recommend using the tools provided by NVIDIA® to confirm proper graphics functionality.

In addition, you may want to try reinstalling the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility - Intel® XTU from the following link.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

automous
Beginner

Hi Esteban, thanks for reply.

My specs are as follows:

i7-7700HQ (Dell XPS 9560)

Windows 10 1909 (Build 18363.836)

I'm using XTU 6.5.2.38, however the link you provided is for 6.5.1.360. Is there any reason I should be using that version instead of the one I already have installed (with the later model number)?

I know that on the download page here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/66427/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- the version you linked (6.5.1.360) is listed as a "driver", where as the newer version (6.5.2.40, just released the 19th) is listed as "software", which is something I've been curious about (especially that their version numbers seem to be in succession). Is 6.5.1.360 an actual driver, and is this why you linked it instead, b/c it is preferred to the application?

Thank you and good day (or evening).

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello automous, 

Thank you for your response and the information provided.

I wanted to test a previous version of the XTU software to determine if you will experience the same behavior.

I would like to clarify that as you say, the latest version of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is 6.5.2.38.

The main difference between both versions is that the version 6.5.1.360 is the last version that will support the legacy profiles database.

You are running the latest version of the software and it is recommended to use that version.

However, after checking the hardware specifications of your unit, we can determine that the processor is not supported by the software. That is the main reason why the tool is not showing accurate information.

The tool will support only processors with K or X numbers.

Please search for your processor in the list under "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below"

Again, I would recommend using the tools provided by NVIDIA® to confirm proper graphics functionality.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician  

automous
Beginner

Thank you for clarifying, Esteban.

I do recall not seeing my specific processor(s) listed (i7-7700HQ, i7-8570H), but I've been using it for so long without a problem on the i7-7700HQ (XPS 9560) that I figured it would work just as well on the i7-8570H (XPS 9570). However, it doesn't seem to be nearly as stable (always seems to crash/reboot for seemingly any Core Voltage Offset).

This is frustrating b/c the "stock"/"factory" settings result in significant heat (99 degrees sustained for the simple operation of changing ownership of an external usb backup drive, or simply installing software). I'll be doing a lot of compiling as well, which I can't image will be much cooler of an operation.

Another issue that I'll be taking up with Dell which greatly compounds the matter is that regardless of what value I set for Thermal Management (i.e. Ultra Performance) in Dell Power Manager, the fans still don't speed up until about 90 degrees on the 9570, where they come on much sooner and faster on the 9560 (which Ultra Performance is supposed to do). This is especially problematic since the i7-8570H runs significantly hotter (can only imagine an i9).

I'm not sure what TDP Dell was building around, but it certainly doesn't seem like an ideal value (I know my next machine for sure will be a desktop, which can be built to run far cooler at a much higher performance. The convenience I thought I was getting from a laptop is turning out to be a great hinderance, especially if these processors burn out from prolonged overheating since replacement involves an entire new motherboard which isn't cheap at over $500. It's also a super pain to work them, having to remove the back cover (10 screws), remove the battery (7 screws), set back cover back on, flip over, press and hold power button for 10 seconds to discharge, flip back over, etc... every time I go in there.

Well thanks again for your help, hopefully I can cool this thing down before it starts a fire or something!

0 Kudos