Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20636 Discussions

arc a750 display freeze after updating to latest driver.

Dibbo
Novice
pls help me.
recently i bought a arc a750. It was working fine on this (31.0.101.4255).But after updating to latest driver (31.0.101.4314) my pc freezes after startup while loading arc control .
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

One post is enough.  Stay with your other post.

Double posting is not allowed.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
illacorp
New Contributor I

Similar issue, I freeze during the driver install and I've tried both the "fresh install" and "keep settings" options. Other driver updates have gone fine. I recently tinkered with some BIOS settings on my motherboard, hopefully I get time to try some things this weekend.

Not a blue screen freeze but a full freeze where the system accepts no input and I need to do a hardware restart. Then it freezes again if I start Windows so I need to use a complicated procedure with the power button to enter "system recovery" or whatever that's called, and I don't seem to have an option in that menu to do a "safe boot" to Windows so I can actually complete the driver installation. I'll get into "safe mode" this weekend if possible and try to install the driver that way.

0 Kudos
OldMan50
Beginner

Same thing happened to me, total freeze the only thing that worked was the mouse pointer. Couldn't click on anything but it still tracked.

Would like feedback on whether that worked, and if you would include your rig setup, that would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Dave_G1
Novice

I have/had the same exact problem. Mouse moves and windows are still selectable in background. I found that forcing a display refresh by unplugging the display and putting back in makes it redraw for a bit which will help with installing the older drivers. 

I can also confirm with post below that 31.0.101.4255 does resolve the issue on my older x99 xeon system with the SEa750

0 Kudos
illacorp
New Contributor I

Replying to you because I'm also using an X99 mobo, 5820K. Played with some BIOS settings, enabled "above 4G decoding" and changed a few overclocking related settings before upgrading the GPU driver, I haven't had time to revert to old settings and retry the driver install. I'm curious if your freeze happens during the driver install, or at a subsequent boot. I can't even get though the driver install, I'll try "safe mode" sometime tomorrow.

ASRock X99 Taichi

5820K overclocked/undervolted/cache ratio raised

16 GB Micron ballistix 2400 MHz

2 monitor setup

MOTU M4 USB sound device (probably doesn't matter but I get messages from the ARC control panel so there it is).

Let me know if you need other system details

0 Kudos
Dave_G1
Novice

It happens after a reboot post install. I'm installing on a new install of windows 10 because I thought nvidia drivers were getting in the way. 

The problem seems to stem potentially around activity. i.e. when the system is idle and only file explorer is open all seems ok, but given a popup or something similar that's when it's screen freeze but mouse is still active. That's the manual refresh by unplug-plug monitor to get it to respond again by forcing a redraw. It most typically "froze" like this with the Arc control panel because that has more graphics to it. 

In my case, my x99 by gigabyte does not appear to support ReBar (though Arc CP says it might). I'm ok with that and accept the performance impact. 

System:

GB x99 gaming ultra (latest firmware, for what that's worth) + Xeon 2696v4

32G

0 Kudos
Dibbo
Novice
Yes, unplugging monitor fixes it. But it got froze within 2 seconds.
Enabling resize bar fixed the freezing issue on new drivers.
0 Kudos
illacorp
New Contributor I

So you're no longer experiencing freezes? because I won't be able to turn resizable bar on without modding my BIOS and that looks a little complicated to me (got partway through the process before getting cold feet).

If resizable bar or the lack of it causing the problem, then it's the driver. The ARC GPUs run fine without resizable bar, you just lose some performance depending on the game. If it's now causing my system to freeze, then the driver is a downgrade and needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Dibbo
Novice
0 Kudos
illacorp
New Contributor I

Thanks for the response, Dave_G1 . Mine freezes a bit differently, I get to move the mouse pointer and clicking on things doesn't work. It's possible we're getting this due to no resizable bar, or it's only an issue with older motherboards. I tried installing from "safe mode" and the folder containing the install was empty. It's really annoying to download that file so I don't know when I'll get to try again.

0 Kudos
Dibbo
Novice
Same problem, brother. And yes, after turning on resize bar the driver issue gets fixed.
0 Kudos
Dibbo
Novice
0 Kudos
DustyWarehouse
Beginner

I'm having the same issue on the latest versions of the driver. I had to downgrade back to 31.0.101.4255 to get it working again. Weirdly I was using 31.0.101.4311 just fine for around 12 days before the PC started freezing just after booting up. I've also tried driver versions 4314 and 4335 over the past couple of days to no avail.

I have the Arc A770 16Gb GPU. Other specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 32Gb DDR4 RAM running at 3000Mhz, sat on a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 motherboard. Running Windows 10 (22H2), installed on a 2TB WD Black SN850X

0 Kudos
Dibbo
Novice
0 Kudos
tawrus80
Novice

Same issue here with an A750 on an X99 board (no R-BAR capability).  4255 works fine.

0 Kudos
dimitrispantos
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading the drivers, I have installed the operating system twice and again the same, I changed cables from the graphics card to the monitor and again the same, I think I found a solution but I don't know how long it will work, I activated the bar in the bios and lowered the refresh rate on the screen to 60. so far it's working fine. unfortunately many problems with the card and it will be sold! back to classic cards!!

0 Kudos
Dave_G1
Novice

Helping this thread for support needs based on debug BKM. I want this to succeed 🙂 

Detailed description: Driver 4314 not working on system (potentially due to missing resize bar features or disabled) which causes screen to freeze and not redraw new windows. Mouse is moveable so is a soft freeze

Display: EFP: BenQ monitor 1920x1080 (in SSU file)

Software: Happens on many window frame redraws/popups; on startup; on arc control panel start

Configuration: Single display (in SSU); Desktop platform

Reproduction: installing 4313 driver in same session as 4255 starts causing issues when new windows/popups happen. Or when a game, SOTR captured in SSU, is run as a test. 

There are 3 ssu files - one is base 4255 state, next is 4313 as it failed with multiple freezes (using display unplug/replug trick to redraw), and last 4255 run again after reinstalling (no reboots in between)

Note: willing to be contacted from Intel support to assist with additional tests/etc, please PM me

DustD
Beginner

I have the same problem with the desktop freezes after drivers 4314 and above on my old PC DELL T5600 (no ResizableBAR support in BIOS, old TPM 1.2, old CPU, windows 10 and ARC A750 INTEL edition) . But I think I found a kind of a solution for the above problem. 

As a last resort solutionon, i tried to a fresh install of Windows 11 (a fresh install of Windows 10 didn't solve the problem) .

It is a little complicated because of unsupported hardware but possible and it solved the problem no frozen display on drivers 4314 and  4355(beta) too. Everything is working ok.

illacorp
New Contributor I

Your solution worked for me, used Rufus to bypass Windows 11 system requirements. Initially I thought I was running the latest driver, thanks to the Driver and Support Assistant, but Arc Control told me I was on 4255. I was able to download and install the latest driver (4369) and I'm not getting the freeze during or after install.

I hesitate to call this a solution because I had to change my OS, something I really had no plan to do (and my hardware isn't supported anyway). I just want to add a reply to this thread in case anybody wants to try this; it worked. If it makes a difference, I went with a clean install.

I had tried using DDU and tweaking BIOS settings, it doesn't seem to accomplish anything. I don't get the resizable BAR option unless I mod my BIOS.

Dave_G1
Novice

I can also confirm this by using a fresh, modified for HW limits, win11 install it allows the later drivers to install without freezing. Thanks for the tip!