Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

cannot find driver, the one installed with update causes screen flickering on my hp envy x360

www1974
Beginner

i have the intel iris plus graphics adapter

since upgrading to windows 11, i have screen flicker

when i uninstall the adapter, and get the windows basic adapter, the flicker goes away

and when i run a windows update, i get the iris plus driver reinstalled automatically and the flicker returns

cannot seem to find out how to fix this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8A52&SUBSYS_875B103C&REV_07

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

Thank you for your guidance. Attached is my scan.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your system, we will do our best to help you. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Does the issue occur randomly or on specific tasks?
  2. Is the issue present on the built-in display or on an external display?
  3. Do you use any adapters to connect the display?
  4. Have you tried using the drivers provided by HP?
  5. Did you upgrade to Windows 11* via a clean install?

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

1. it appears random, however there may be a tie to google chrome.  if chrome is running, sometimes it doesn't flicker. i can't determine that if a google-based website is open in chrome makes a difference or not. another important thing to mention is that not only is there flicker, but the google classroom screen (as it appears in chrome) is superimposed over the display. i can see it over the wallpaper and most apps, faintly.

2. built-in display

3. i have nothing connected, this is just my original laptop untouched

4. i have only used the driver that installs are part of a windows update. i am not sure where to find the drivers from anywhere else. i guess that is what prompted this original post.

5. windows 11 was upgraded via a windows update, without my knowledge.  this is a laptop my daughter uses for school so i am not on it daily, but this is the information i was given.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, we recommend performing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest driver and save the installer on the computer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

good morning.

sorry for the delay. i haven't had access to the machine for a couple of days. i plan take suggested steps today and will update the thread.  so much appreciation for your guidance.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

Thank you for the quick response, don't worry, we will wait for you to be able to try the steps provided in previous posts. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

unfortunately, this new driver did not help.

i followed your instructions, twice, just to be sure.  again, with the microsoft basic display adapter, there was no flickering. i ran the installer for the new driver, and the flicker returned.  there does seem to be SOME improvement  as i do not think i can see the superimposed 'google classroom' in the display. however, flicker is back.

are there other options here?

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

i've attached an updated scan, in case that helps.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

Thank you for the information provided and for the report. 

Please let me know if the issue also occurs on the BIOS screen or if it only happens when using the OS. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello www1974,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

checking the bios screen now

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

i do not see the flicker on the bios screen. i do, however, see the overlay of "google classroom" on the bio screen. i took a couple of photos to demonstrate what i mean by that and have have attached them to this post. you will see a faint outline of rectangle boxes overlayed on the screen.   it is minimal on the bios screen, but you will see it more pronounced in other images. this is how it appears on the pc when using the operating system.

0 Kudos
www1974
Beginner

i did take a video of the flicker and have attached that below, if it helps in any way

0 Kudos