Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

dxgkrnl crash when monitor sleeps with custom resolution active.

Grant__James
Beginner

System Used: Gigabyte GA-B250N Phoenix-WIFI Motherboard
CPU SKU: Core i5-7400
GPU SKU: HD630
Processor line: S-Series
System BIOS Version: F5c
GOP version: 9.0.1056
Operating System: Windows 10
OS Version: 1903 & 1909

When I have a custom resolution active I get dxgkrnl crashes when my monitor goes to sleep. No custom resolution, no crashes. A custom resoluton should not be able to crash the graphics subsystem.

When it crashes, the monitor will not wake up, and I have to hard reset the PC. When you go into "View reliability history" in Control Panel you find crash has a Bucket ID of:
LKD_0x193_DxgkrnlLiveDump:810__dxgkrnl!ProcessDeadlockThread__dxgkrnl!DxgCreateLiveDumpWithWdLogs__watchdog!WdDbgReportCreate__dxgkrnl!

Running a kernel minidump through WinDbg doesn't reveal much. Bug check ID is: 0x193: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP

With the 7212 drivers, for me, it was 100% crash rate, as soon as you set the custom resolution, reboot the PC, wait for monitor to sleep, immediately crashed, and can't wake the monitor.

With the 7323 drivers, strangely it's not 100% crash rate. It doesn't happen every time the monitor sleeps. But usually over a day, it has happened at some point.

Custom resolution data I'm using is:
Horizontal:
Front Porch: 8
Back Porch: 40
Sync Width: 32
Active: 2560
Sync Polarity: +

Vertical:
Front Porch: 27
Back Porch: 6
Sync Width: 8
Active: 1440
Sync Polarity: -
Scan Rate: 60

The crashes happen both when I set the custom resolution using the EDID_Override mechanism that is standard on Windows or using the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

I find it interesting it happens through both mechanisms as the Intel tool modifies different registry settings.

This is docs for EDID_Override:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids

This is the third party tool (Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)) I'm using to modify the registry key:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Another 'behavior' I think is wrong is that the Intel Graphics Command Center won't allow overriding an existing resolution that the monitor reports through EDID. It reports "Error Occurred" - "Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode already exists."  Intel HD Graphics Control Panel *will* let you override a resolution that the monitor provided through EDID.

I can force Intel Graphics Command Center to accept a custom resolution only by adding an EDID_Override registry key using CRU that removes the reported resolution I want to override from the EDID data.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Grant__James
Beginner

Problem still present with 7528 drivers. Happened first time monitor went to sleep.

0 Kudos